It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Scientists Use 'Time Hole' to Make Events Disappear

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by greenie65

That's what they're doing, but the effect is that the time duration for which the light is "bent" becomes, essentially, invisible, effectively cloaking any event that may have occurred in that time.

Based on the idea that our perception creates reality...you have to ask the question that if something cant be seen, and cant be perceived, does it actually happen?

Yes the Cornell scientists are simply "cloaking" the event that is happeneing by altering the light flowing to it - making it invisible. But does it actually happen? Is 40 picoseconds long enough to measure an event that cant be perceived?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Plan2exist18

Our perception does not create reality. That's akin to Schrodinger's Dog (ETA: or even his cat), but used in the wrong context. We don't have to observe something for it to exist, and we don't have to observe an event for it to occur. According to an observer co-existing with the event, the event definitely occurs...the fact that external observers can't see it doesn't matter.
edit on 4-1-2012 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
This is insane. There are so many cloaking devices making very real advances with lab tests. There is also a link in the OP link that details the mirage effect being used. Such an exciting time to be alive. I'm sure it will be used for war and not much else but it is still quite an amazing testament to the human ability.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Goldcurrent

Oh yeah this is a can of worms i want opened. Its ironic that soon after i found this news article synchronistically i also found another thread i had participated in about "Second whistleblower emerges to confirm reality of time travel"

www.examiner.com... -in-seattle/second-whistleblower-emerges-to-confirm-reality-of-time-travel

here is his radio interview
r adio interview

David Lewis Anderson, Ph.D. is a physicist whose interests are in space-time physics, special relativity and global community service. Anderson received degrees in engineering, physics and philosophy. He was employed at a young age by the United States Air Force conducting advanced research and development at the Air Force Flight Test Center (AFFTC) at Edwards Air Force Base in the Mojave Desert. During that time he laid the foundations for what would later become known as time-warped field theory, an approach that modeled and described how to use the natural forces of inertial frame dragging to create contained and controllable fields of closed-timelike curves. Anderson provided one of the first comprehensive overviews of historical views of time and time travel in the documentary "Time Travel - Journeys into Time".

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

I'm confused by the word "event".

They are not masking an "event" .. they are masking their actions by distorting light and making them "invisible"? confused on their meaning.

Interesting read though. Most of it a bit over my head, but interesting non the less!
edit on 1/4/2012 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

In physics, an event is anything that happens in time. Any action qualifies as an event.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Im thinking more of a bank robbery....warp time, go in and rob a bank, and then bammm...Moneys all gone!!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Currently the "Event" is restricted to the confines of a fiber optic cable. But in theory this could be a room a building or even a city, depending on the scale of the technology and the power required to facilitate the warping or the field.

The reason i think they term it an "event" is because its temporal in nature. Perceptively from a relativistic POV of course. So its not a specific object but a sequence of actions that are cloaked. Its a time bubble, thats the simplest way i can explain it.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl

According to Cornell scientists, it’d take a machine 18,600 miles long to produce a time mask that lasts a single second.

I think it will be a while before anyone actually sees this (or not) in action.
Amazing, nonetheless.

Hi, this is why the most interesting and science drawn project throughout the world has been systematically downplayed across the globe from all media outlets.

www.gridguide.org...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

This is heavy doc.

OK Time (if you havent guessed by now) is one of those things im fascinated with.

If im reading this article correctly what i think they have achieved(even for a split second) is to create a warp in observable reality.

You're not reading it correctly. It is referring to bending light around an object essentially making the object (or wearer) appear invisible a.k.a Cyber-Optic Camouflauge. Good examples of that would be movies like "The Ghost in the Shell" or Predator 1,2, and 3. I don't think is has anything to do with time warping.

ETA: Sorry if someone has already pointed this out and I'm answering late on this.

Good find

edit on 4-1-2012 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

www.wired.com

Soldiers could one day conduct covert operations in complete secrecy, now that Pentagon-backed physicists have figured out how to mask entire events by distorting light.

A team at Cornell University, with support from Darpa, the Pentagon’s out-there research arm, managed to hide an event for 40 picoseconds (those are trillionths of seconds, if you’re counting). They’ve published their groundbreaking research in this week’s edition of the journal Nature.

This is the first time that scientists have succeeded in masking an event, though research teams have in recent years made remar
(visit the link for the full news article)

In other words... They could basically do Whatever they want? for example... Tell Police to kill protestors and we wouldn't know about it?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by 31Bravo

This is heavy doc.

OK Time (if you havent guessed by now) is one of those things im fascinated with.

If im reading this article correctly what i think they have achieved(even for a split second) is to create a warp in observable reality.

You're not reading it correctly. It is referring to bending light around an object essentially making the object (or wearer) appear invisible a.k.a Cyber-Optic Camouflauge. Good examples of that would be movies like "The Ghost in the Shell" or Predator 1,2, and 3. I don't think is has anything to do with time warping.

ETA: Sorry if someone has already pointed this out and I'm answering late on this.

Good find

edit on 4-1-2012 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

no im pretty sure i read it correctly.

The invisibility is a result of the outside observer not seeing whats going on inside the field because of a slowing down of time. It is NOT like predator as this is about cloaking an "Event" which is not specifically related to an object but time around the object. have a look at some of the other explanation on the thread.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indenu

www.wired.com

Soldiers could one day conduct covert operations in complete secrecy, now that Pentagon-backed physicists have figured out how to mask entire events by distorting light.

A team at Cornell University, with support from Darpa, the Pentagon’s out-there research arm, managed to hide an event for 40 picoseconds (those are trillionths of seconds, if you’re counting). They’ve published their groundbreaking research in this week’s edition of the journal Nature.

This is the first time that scientists have succeeded in masking an event, though research teams have in recent years made remar
(visit the link for the full news article)

In other words... They could basically do Whatever they want? for example... Tell Police to kill protestors and we wouldn't know about it?

well they could but we would find out eventually when the cloak wears off.

The people killed are still connected to normal time. they will be missed and questions will be asked. If they used it against protesters we wouldnt see it happen but when people turn up missing then we would know something occurred but we wouldnt know what.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird

This same thing was mentioned in another thread.

But, if we READ the article....this bit pops out:

A team at Cornell University, with support from Darpa, the Pentagon’s out-there research arm, managed to hide an event for 40 picoseconds (those are trillionths of seconds, if you’re counting).

40 picoseconds.......THINK about that, and put it into perspective, OK??
edit on Wed 4 January 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

This is exactly what I was thinking, we will all be dead before they manage to refract light for even one minute. The reason why humanity will never have disclosure or meet and extraterrestrial race is purely because we will not use the tech for anything other than domination. The Warmachine loves new gadgets, like this... Eventually once it has been perfected and this is only if we don't all blow up by december or what have you... Tptb will use this tech for bad stuff.

But look on the bright side, we'll all be dead by then.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Am I the only one that can see the article uses highly incorrect terminology and is slightly sensationalized?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Okay let me put it in perspective for you...

It was the first announced successful test... doesn't matter how short it was, what matters is that IT WAS

Once you have the principle, the method and a successful test and a PUBLIC announcement, the rest isn't far behind

And they said the Philadelphia Experiment didn't happen

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

The Wright Brothers' first flight was 1903.
The first regular commercial airplane flights began in 1919.
A man walked on the moon in 1969.

The first ENAIC "giant brain" computer was made in 1945 and contained in a 30x50 ft room, used 18,000 radio tubes, and cost $400,000 to manufacture.
The first commercial computer was availabe on the market in 1951.
Today we have lightning-speed 4G computers smaller than our wallets in our pockets that cost us a few hundred bucks. (Well, I don't. Some of us do. )

...and that's not even mentioning the rapid development of weaponry developed for and by the military (one can achieve any feat with the proper motivation, right?)

I realize that this is a bit different in some regards as it's more to do with physics and a bit less to do with technology, but once is a conceptual breakthrough occurs, the floodgates are open.

I'm still working on wrapping my brain completely around this, but it's pretty wild and fascinating.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
The one blessing of DARPA carrying out this type of research, is that at least it means that we don't have to worry about such technologies falling into the wrong hands.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by freee

This same thing was mentioned in another thread.

But, if we READ the article....this bit pops out:

A team at Cornell University, with support from Darpa, the Pentagon’s out-there research arm, managed to hide an event for 40 picoseconds (those are trillionths of seconds, if you’re counting).

This is exactly what I was thinking, we will all be dead before they manage to refract light for even one minute. The reason why humanity will never have disclosure or meet and extraterrestrial race is purely because we will not use the tech for anything other than domination. The Warmachine loves new gadgets, like this... Eventually once it has been perfected and this is only if we don't all blow up by december or what have you... Tptb will use this tech for bad stuff.

But look on the bright side, we'll all be dead by then.

That's one way of interpreting it.

Another possible way, is that the research projects that we *don't* know about, actually invented this tech a sufficiently long time ago now, and know enough about it, that they don't care about it getting out. Stealth bomber, anyone?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join