It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police in Riot Gear at Manchester United V Manchester City Derby

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Sounds like a normal Saturday afternoon down at the old Victoria ground at Stoke.

*Sniffles* I do miss Jillys I do and the Banshee, (and Edwards8 in Brum) but I don't miss the train journey home still #faced, squinting in the daylight.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Glory glory man uuuunited!!

And the saints go marchin on on on!'

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
There's always going to be tension & emotions flaring on any match-day derbies.

However, it's usually the minority of hooligans that end up spoiling a match-day out for the rest of us.

Judging from people's comments..not only on here, but on footballing forums & football-related articles, it seems the consensus is that it'll be Utd fans causing the ruckus, if there is any lol.

Case of sore losers? You woulda thought with Utd winning so much, their fans would have a bit of class about them..Sadly not.

Obviously, it takes two to tango..But I've always thought the City fans were usually a good bunch.

Or is that me being blissfully unaware?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

No we are a different breed to those Glory hunters, I have been to the swamp a few times over the years and the amount of different accents you get is funny.
Iam from the old school you support your local team (where you were born) unless all your family support the team, not support a team because they win.
We are not used to winning stuff and I still find it odd, but heck we deserve it more than the reds

Btw watch this for a laugh

www.youtube.com...

Take it, take it, take it, take it Bobby Charlton ....classic lol

Notice the Red is a southerner lol

Back to the OP you can bet if there is trouble it is because one team wins and a copper who supports the other team gets angry and goes overboard.
edit on 5-1-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Yes we defiantelly need police in riot gear because there may be..... TERRORISTS
'sarcastically'
But no this is just the Uk (my country) once again responding very extremelly

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Ha glad to see someone else from Reading on here mate!

Well it is over the top, when coppers put the gear on their personality changes instantly. I've seen it many times before, they just get into riot mode even if nothing is going on.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I only hope 'Super' Mario is gonna be in the starting line-up on Sunday!

He's always good for a laugh or two

The goal where he stood on the line & knocked the ball in with his shoulder is classic..& his facial expressions are priceless.

Not to mention half of the other antics from Balotelli.

P.S. - Who woulda known it...A southern Utd fan. Take it!
edit on 5-1-2012 by SmoKeyHaZe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

No we are a different breed to those Glory hunters, I have been to the swamp a few times over the years and the amount of different accents you get is funny.
Iam from the old school you support your local team (where you were born) unless all your family support the team, not support a team because they win.
We are not used to winning stuff and I still find it odd, but heck we deserve it more than the reds

Btw watch this for a laugh

www.youtube.com...

Take it, take it, take it, take it Bobby Charlton ....classic lol

Notice the Red is a southerner lol

Back to the OP you can bet if there is trouble it is because one team wins and a copper who supports the other team gets angry and goes overboard.

TDF citysmith? well its either you understand or not

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Maybe the fans should just act as the players they worship and fall down and cry when breathed on.....
No police required........

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Thought I would jump back onto this. Glad to see that its not descending into a my teams better than yours thread, which is the last thing I would have wanted to see.

Heres a question though. When all the so called fans are away from the ground and causing havoc in manchester city centre will all the police be in riot control gear there?

Im yet to be convinced that there is a definate need for ALL police offcers that will be at the match to be in riot ger. someone posted that as soon as the riiot gear goes on the attitude of the police changes. Got to say I agree with that.

If riot gear is needed at an event like this then like i said why not have them wearing vests or tabards over the Riot Gear to look less intimidating and less
robo cops. I think barbie Pink would be the ideal non confrontational colour.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JessopJessopJessop

Personaly I havnt got a problem with it being called soccer. Just dont go saying that American football players are tougher than Rugby Players

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsrreal

Personaly I havnt got a problem with it being called soccer. Just dont go saying that American football players are tougher than Rugby Players

Why not? I'm a Rugby diehard, I'm entitled to say what I want about either sport.

I would say in my opinion that Rugby is tougher(especially Rugby League), but that American Football without question has the more ferocious hits and measurable singular contact, where as Rugby is a combination of smaller collisions and other rough stuff that as a collective I think makes it tougher on a "on the whole" basis".

Are you a Rugby fan? Most Rugby fans respect Yank Football very much, what you tend to find is the people who death ride yank football and talk up Rugby aren't even usually rugby fans, often they're soccer fans just using rugby to try and 1-up the yanks.

I would love more American Footballers trying their hand at Rugby, they're athletically phenomenal and love to smash people, the only problem is the skills are too far apart.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Thought I would jump back onto this. Glad to see that its not descending into a my teams better than yours thread, which is the last thing I would have wanted to see.

Heres a question though. When all the so called fans are away from the ground and causing havoc in manchester city centre will all the police be in riot control gear there?

Im yet to be convinced that there is a definate need for ALL police offcers that will be at the match to be in riot ger. someone posted that as soon as the riiot gear goes on the attitude of the police changes. Got to say I agree with that.

If riot gear is needed at an event like this then like i said why not have them wearing vests or tabards over the Riot Gear to look less intimidating and less
robo cops. I think barbie Pink would be the ideal non confrontational colour.

If they had riot police at a rugby, basketball, afl, tennis game etc, do you think the "attitude of the police changes" and there would be trouble? Would there f///!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

No disrespect here from me for american football, and believe me I am not a football fan in the slightest. Ive got the looks and injuries that go hand in hand with having played rugby union since 8 years old, retired from playing at 42 but miss being on the pitch

I would agree with you that maybe 10 to 15 years ago american football was a more physically demading sport with the fitter atheletes, but the speed that rugby is played these days and the size and speed of makes it e toughter sport. Either way all are good and at least the ball is the right shape

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Put on a football Kit and you mentaly become Pele
Put on a Rugby shirt you instantly become Jonny Wikinson
Put on a baseball kit and hey your Babe Ruth
Slip into your basketball boots and Hey presto, Im Magic

Put on a Fire proof bolier suit, High leg Boots, Knee and elbow pads, balistic body armour, Riot helmet and visor etc etc amd you become Robocop and your attitude changes completly.

If there is a risk of violence at the whole of the stadium is there therefore not a risk to the public in general and they should be advised to stay away from the area.. Unless they do that then Im sorry full riot gear for a football match is totally over the top over policing

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

No disrespect here from me for american football, and believe me I am not a football fan in the slightest. Ive got the looks and injuries that go hand in hand with having played rugby union since 8 years old, retired from playing at 42 but miss being on the pitch

I would agree with you that maybe 10 to 15 years ago american football was a more physically demading sport with the fitter atheletes, but the speed that rugby is played these days and the size and speed of makes it e toughter sport. Either way all are good and at least the ball is the right shape

Lol sorry. When I hear people use Rugby as a "trump" card for American football I just assume they're actually soccer fans from experience. Because I find rugby and yank football fans have a mutual respect generally

To clarify my own opinion, I don't think American Football has ever been more physically demanding. In my opinion Rugby is both physically tougher and more athletically demanding, BUT, if we were to measure single hits and points of contact, American football is very violent. The G Force in the hits speaks for itself.

As an 80 minute game, Rugby, especially League(sorry if you're a Union man) takes more out of you. But replay-worthy hits in football are so much more explosive and insane than rugby hits, even though the game on the whole I think is more "sanitised"

Sorry for assuming(that you were a soccer fan just using rugby to attack american football)

A video i like showing the best of both

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Great Video thanks for that.

Theres almost as much body armour on there as the police will have on at match day

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by detachedindividual
1. The PTB are increasingly inching their way forward in dealing with the civil unrest we're going to be seeing. We've had riots, they've started the discussion about militarizing the Police across the country and considering the use of live ammo.

They're not "considering" it in the slightest, it was just touted as an option in very specific cases where life is put at risk when a report into the riots was completed. All Police forces and the Government quickly rounded on this and shot down the notion that people could be shot for rioting.

There are a few groups in the UK (mostly the EDL/BNP Neo Nazi's) who plan and organize riots at these games.

When was the last riot at an English football game exactly? You speak as if it is a common thing.

3. England has an impressive record of football violence. It's all very well crying about how it's unfair to label, but some stereotypes are true.

A record that ended in the 1990's, some 20 years ago. It's like saying Germans have a penchant for gassing Jews, just because they used to back in the past. What was once true shouldn't always be true. English football has worked exceedingly hard to stamp this nonsense out and, by and large, they have succeeded. Is it not right then that we're recognised for that? Like I said, other nations have far worse violence and yet no-one stereotypes them.

In the UK, there are a hell of a lot of drunk, violent, racist thugs who enjoy football not for the sport but for the violence associated with it.

And if they are caught doing this during a game or even near one they will find themselves being banned for life and facing charges, hence why hardly anyone gets done for it anymore.

Yes there are plenty of people who wouldn't hurt a fly who go to matches, but that doesn't seem to make any difference to the fact that a lot of matches get violent every year.

Alot of matches get violent? Do point out which, as I must have missed this. Even Millwall fans are well behaved these days.............

After some 20 years of relatively good behaviour among English football fans in general, extreme scenes of rioting and hooliganism made a comeback at Upton Park on 25 August 2009, during a Football League Cup second round tie between London rivals West Ham United and Millwall. The pitch was invaded several times during the game and rioting in the streets came afterwards, with one incident resulting in a man suffering stab wounds.

On 1 December 2010, supporters of rival West Midlands clubs Aston Villa and Birmingham City clashed at St Andrew's stadium after a Football League Cup tie, which resulted in 14 people being injured - less than 24 hours before England's bid to host the 2018 World Cup failed

Cass Pennant, a former football hooligan, said that the rise in football hooliganism was the result of rising unemployment, poverty, and social discontent in the aftermath of the recent recession.

Also, the British Police ALREADY have a remit to use live fire against citizens. The point is that the issue was raised again in response to the riots. They can already arm themselves and fire, but the option isn't used. Now, they ARE talking about using it.

I understand that people can be fanatical when it comes to their football, I'm fanatical about music and art. But lets not completely loose track of common sense in the defense of something we love. Yes, it is fair to say that there has been a lot of good work to reduce the negative aspects of football, but it is still there. It would be remarkable if it had been truly successful and they had stamped it out entirely, but when you have some of the biggest names in football making stupid comments and bodies taking weak stances, it's not surprising that it still exists.

The fact is, there is still a lot of racism, homophobia and violence in football. We can see this from the constant news of another footballer using racist taunts, fans chanting racist chants, even FIFA officials making homophobic remarks.

It's slightly odd that Rugby has openly gay players, and that you don't see racism and thuggery at those matches and from their managing bodies, when that sport is far more masculine.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
What has a discussion about American football Vs Rugby got to do with this thread?

Also some of the comments on here are just ignorant, I have been going to Old Trafford since the 70's, I used to live less than a mile from the stadium (Old Trafford is Manchester United's stadium for those that don't know) and to say it is still the same now as it was then is ludicrous, really it is. There is never any trouble there, and there is never any trouble at the City of Manchester Stadium (Manchester City's home ground) Nor do the people on here understand the people that involve themselves in violence.

When teh football violence first started it was groups of average working class people frustrated in life, as was the case in the 70's there was a lot of tension all round, the 3 day week, the winter of discontent etc, but this changed and by the early 80's a new breed of hooligan had arrived, these were well educated, yuppies for want of a better word, stock brokers, bankers, teachers etc, the main groups were from London, you had the ICF (Inter City firm, so named because they always travelled first class by inter city trains) the Chelsea Head hunters, Manchester City had one of the most violent groups the Quality street gang (later becoming the Gooch gang), who later went on to become very heavy drug dealers, protection racketers etc.

Then in the 90's it got too much and a crackdown occurred, the violence did not end, and still has not ended, it just takes place far away from the grounds now, in private waste grounds, building sites, these sort of places, away from the general public and more importantly from the police. But the trouble we did have back in the 70's and 80's is long gone, it is now very safe to visit nearly all football grounds, to take your kids, the firms (the name the groups of hooligans give themselves) have their own code of conduct, for example they would never attack people with their kids, they don't attack normal fans who are wearing scarf's ect (they all go in plain clothes)

Now a Manchester derby does raise tensions and there will be some trouble, but at most it will be an odd scuffle between some drunken fans, nothing that warrants all police to be wearing full riot gear, it is most definitely overkill, it will make the mood oppressive and fearful, not good for a match and not nice to take your kids too and I have to agree there does seem to be some sort of agenda to this, perhaps just getting people used to masses of black clothed jack booted thugs patrolling our streets. Riot police at footy matches, Army deployed for teh olympics, maybe were going to end up like the USA, a closet fascist state...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

Your prediction for the match? oh and excellent post fella I think it will pass off without much fighting like I said it is the police who are fans of one of the clubs who I worry about, they will be suited up for a ruck.
Are you going btw? I gotta see if a guy can swap shifts and if so I will be there.
Oh and it's not coms anymore its the Etihad stadium.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join