It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police in Riot Gear at Manchester United V Manchester City Derby

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
At the Football (Soccer) Match between Manchester City and Manchester United this sunday all Police Officers on duty will be in full riot gear for the first time ever

menmedia.co.uk...

What do people think?

In my opinion this could be inflamatory to the so called fans who cause trouble at football matches.

I understand that there is a need for police officers to wear protective equipment. However where protection is required but is being worn Where social unrest has not taken place then the full on all Black Paramilitary style Riot Gear could be a catalyst to trouble. Heres a thought how about Pink tops over the gear to make it less intimidating.

Please note this is not a Football Post and any mention of who's team is better than anyone elses will be met with complete and utter Boredom

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Welcome to the united states of Britain. Most every cop in the US is in paramilitary gear all the time.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsrreal

I think this sums up the why:

The move comes after one officer was left partially sighted when he was struck by a missile at a previous derby match at the stadium in April 2010.

So, it is simply about protecting the Police should anything happen, probably because they have to pay out for injuries sustained so are trying to save all that bother.

As for who is better? They both suck, Reading FC is the best team in England, but we are so good we let all the other teams win, so it's fair....

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Fully agree that protection of the police is of importance, however to the knuckle dragging mouth breathers that go to football to cause trouble, in my opinion it will only act as a red rag to a bull.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
As a Man City fan I can safely say it is to make sure the Man Utd fans dont kick off when they get beaten

Man Utd fans are not used to being beat by us and will kick off everytime we beat them now.
I have seen the Man U fans kick off at our ground (with flares) and also I was attacked by a group of Man Utd fans at Wembley last year after the match (We won) 20 v 4 great odds eh?
Yes we have our fair share of bad fans (Like any club) and just hope the game is a good game and no trouble happens.
I hope the police are all well trained and control their horses (Seen some bad stuff at footie matches and horses).
My prediction 5-1 City

The futures bright, the futures Blue.........

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LongbottomLeaf

Is that in Full riot gear?

We are used to seeing officers in balistic vests and baseball caps these days but not in helmets and full body armour

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsrreal
Fully agree that protection of the police is of importance, however to the knuckle dragging mouth breathers that go to football to cause trouble, in my opinion it will only act as a red rag to a bull.

To be fair, those meatheads who do that sort of thing would fight regardless! I'm just glad that, by and large, this has been rooted out of English football. I can now take my kids to the Mad Stad and watch Reading without ever having to worry about people being pissed or causing fights.

The sad thing is though that we're now tarred forever by it and even though other countries have far worse problems for it (Serbia, Russia, Argentina, Italy etc) we're the one's who get the bad rap.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

as the mancs are inbred savages - i think riot gear should be standard kit for all GMP personell

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

It Dosnt matter whos teams supporters start the trouble and that is not the discussion point of the thread. All football hooligans are as bad as each other no matter what team they support.

My concern is that as far as I know this is the first time that full riot gear has been worn at a sporting event by all police officers on duty.

Another concern I have is also the change in attitude that wearing riot gear ccan manifest in police officers. Go looking for trouble and you will always find it.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

as the mancs are inbred savages - i think riot gear should be standard kit for all GMP personell

No we are not, great things come from Manchester...
m2002.thecgf.com...
Just a few I can go on about the music etc but you already know this.
edit on 4-1-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Basically riot gear minus the shield and helmet. They put that on when they come to beat on us. They dont always carry assault rifles, but this is the basic look of metropolitan police these days.

This is normal in some cities
www.flickr.com...
www.flickr.com...

edit on 4-1-2012 by LongbottomLeaf because: wertyuiop

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
To be honest the way some of these games go it is a riot, hope they bust some heads that need busted.
Stupidity should be met with stupidity in this case in the end it`s just a game no need for people to get hurt the way there has been for watching it.

I`m going with the cops on that game ender protect and serve and nothing like being prepared.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Agree with you about the violence at football amd that it has virtually disappeared is a good thing as far as Im concerned.

I would be intersted to know how the rest of the world views this. How about all Police officers at New York Yankess game in full riot gear

Lets not forget we have the olympics this year. should all officers on duty be in riot gear for that? Im sure the Olympic PR guys will show UK Police officers as the old style helmet wearing happy police that I remember in my youth

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I have several thoughts on this...

1. The PTB are increasingly inching their way forward in dealing with the civil unrest we're going to be seeing. We've had riots, they've started the discussion about militarizing the Police across the country and considering the use of live ammo. The MET has purchased a reinforced segmented metal wall for central London, which can be put up within hours. They are preparing for something that a lot of people still don't think is going to happen.
They probably also have intelligence about the game too. There are a few groups in the UK (mostly the EDL/BNP Neo Nazi's) who plan and organize riots at these games.

2. After the riots in London and other cities, the Police are right to be prepared. I believe in PROTEST, when it's needed. There is a huge difference between mindless violence and genuine anger against an injustice. They should be preparing for these events to get nasty.

3. England has an impressive record of football violence. It's all very well crying about how it's unfair to label, but some stereotypes are true. In the UK, there are a hell of a lot of drunk, violent, racist thugs who enjoy football not for the sport but for the violence associated with it. Yes there are plenty of people who wouldn't hurt a fly who go to matches, but that doesn't seem to make any difference to the fact that a lot of matches get violent every year.

4. I don't believe in the BS about "instigating" violence just because an officer is in riot gear. It's not an excuse to be violent just because someone is suited up to protect themselves. I've been caught in the middle of a riot, and the sight of police dogs riot shields and batons didn't remotely tempt me to join in the mob. I knew who was right and who was wrong.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Thanks for that usefull bit of insight there,

As someone who comes from manchester I must remeber to check up on what my parents relationship was before they got married.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsrreal
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Thanks for that usefull bit of insight there,

As someone who comes from manchester I must remeber to check up on what my parents relationship was before they got married.

I think the clue is in his profile name

As a regular visitor to Manchester, I love the city. Shame Jilly's closed down, otherwise I'd be there more often.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Jillys thats a blast from the past

I lived there and in the ritz on mondays boy it was great in the early 90's.

Back to the OP, I hope the Police have a sense of humor because they will get the piss taken out of them

Oi!! Robocop

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I was nodding my head in agreement right up to point 4

The instigating violence I was thinking about was more from those wearing the riot gear.

Still given your post a star though

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LongbottomLeaf

Thats pretty much what they will be wearing. But without the guns

Im in California next week so I will keep my eyes out for police in that gear.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Its because the Manchester United fans are hooligans and thugs , they have destroyed nearly every single Premier League Stadium in the past few seasons , they run around smashing shops and robbing tills inside the stadiums , and the Man City fans hate them more than anyone else in the Premier League , they will most probably also use the big fences they used when Newcastle played Sunderland at the stadium of light (that`s another derby you wouldn`t like to be standing in the middle of..oO..) , to devide the fans and keep them seperated .............. very, very necessary if you ask me .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join