It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magma Causing Uplift in Oregon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I want to preface this by saying that I am not starting this thread as a dire warning, or an alert. The thread title is the same as the scientific article title. It is not based on speculation. This is for information purposes and education.

ATS member UtahRosebud sent me a link to this article. She hasn't the time to start a thread so asked me if I could. This is some pretty amazing stuff! A great find.

First, here is the article and a summary:

Magma Causing Uplift In Oregon

Volcanic activity is causing the earth to rise in Oregon, scientists have found.

Though whether such uplift is a sign of an imminent eruption remains uncertain.

As early as the summer of 1996, a 230-square-mile (600-square-kilometer) patch of ground in Oregon began to rise. The area lies just west of the South Sister Volcano, which with the North and Middle Sisters form the Three Sisters volcanoes, the most prominent peaks in the central Oregon stretch of the Cascade Mountains.

"The most important implication of our research is that the ground appears to still be uplifting," said researcher Susan Riddick, a geodesist at the University of Oregon. "Previous researchers believed that the ground uplift, a result of the input of magma deep in the Earth's crust, had stopped at around 2006. We found that the ground is still uplifting as of late 2010 and may still be uplifting, but at a slow rate."

By analyzing precisely how the landscape was changing, the researchers suggest the magma pocket behind this uplift has a volume of 1.76-billion-to-2.47-billion cubic feet (50-million-to-70-million cubic meters), enough to fill 20,000-to-28,000 Olympic-size swimming pools.

If the researchers are correct, " if an eruption were to take place, it would produce a small cinder cone, then the eruption would be localized within the Three Sisters wilderness area and would not pose a great hazard to the public in neighboring towns," Riddick said. "However, this can change if more magma accumulates at depth, which is why continual monitoring of this area is crucial."

Wow. Please see the entire article for all the info.

As these are part of the Cascade chain, they are part of the PNSN monitoring network that I watch. I have had some recent discussion on my other threads regarding the sisters due to some unusuall seismic activity I noticed there this past year. Now I think we know what it was.

Here are some links for monitoring the 'sisters'

PNSN old style network - the sisters are down towards the bottom

PNSN new style webis - sisters is south of hood. look at MOON and WIFE

PNSN new monitoring site for the sisters

So what does this all really mean? Well, if there is a small intrusion of magma leading to a small eruption and cinder cone building that is in the middle of nowhere and doesn't affect anyone....than cool. It'll be neat to watch. If, there is more intrusion and a larger eruption than this could be quite a big deal. Only time will tell.

The bigger thing for me, is that this is yet one more great example of just how little we and 'they' know. Our planet is a constantly evolving and changing ecosystem. We are only here along for the ride!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
That is alarming,to say the least.
I'm wondering ,has it increased any,or is it just slow and steady.
I remember something in a thread way back about the three sisters and earthquakes.
Thanks to you and especially UtahRosebud for this.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Sounds like it has been slow and steady....

I know, I remember talking about them too. I'm trying to figure out the new activity up on Rainier right now, but maybe later I'll have time to go back through some threads. I know it was in the past three months.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I found one of them for you here.

What's going on Three Sisters Volcano

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up. My mom lives in Eugene about 3 hours away and I like to keep her up to date with what's going on out there, especially now that I'm a Geology major. I have no doubt the Juan de Fuca plate has a lot to do with this. Not a great sign for something that has the ability to produce megathrust earthquakes. I visited Mt Hood and the Sisters over the summer. Hard to believe an area so beautiful could simply vanish.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Ben watching the forest die off due to volcanic gasses for many yrs going over 126 from Eugene to Bend. Also have seen the laser set ups from peak to peak in the area so the news is no surprise. I think the results of an eruption are being a bit downplayed also as the are is honeycombed with lava tubes and cracks which could spread a small flow over a large area in that region. Good find OP!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
i think the earth is on the verge of a new cycle.....

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I live in Portland Oregon but travel down that way quite a bit. Vary interesting. Thanks for posting : )

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Great find UtahRosebud, and thanks once again Westcoast for getting the thread up.
It comes as no surprise to me either, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were other such areas along the Cascades with slow and steady uplift. It is such an amazing area as pointed out numerous times by Westcoast.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Good find.

With such an large uplift I don't see how an small cinder cone would be all was seen, however as mentioned that is dependant on the actual volume of the deep chamber..

On an "ATS" as such note, is not "The Sisters" mentioned in Native American Indian Philosophy one of them will go?

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
let's see...

now a spot in Oregon is undergoing a magma uplift

a month ago a old volcano in the Patagonia region in SA was noted for its rapid uplift

we have long known of the uplift at Yellowstone

Now,,, what we need is for the scientific community to connect-the-dots...
establish that the Earth core is generating excessive heated magma plumes in both old and new areas
and that we are in for a generation of troubles as the Earth outgasses and throws millions of tonnes of ash & gas into the eco-sphere just as it did during the Siberian Traps era.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Possibly, or possibly we simply have the technology nowadays to see what is going on every day in various parts of the planet.

Volcanoes "breathe" - there is nothing new in this discovery alone. Still, it IS interesting so S & F from me.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The Siberian Traps era is thought to be volcanic. Thunderbolts takes another look at it, and the scarring is specifcally energetic discharge, like Giant Lightening Bolt.

thunderbolts.info...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

That's amazing I have never heard about the bolts but its very interesting indeed.
2nd line.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Very good find SnF for both of you its really amazing that we can actually monitor all these volcanic masses and continue learning what we know now. I know all the research is probably only the tip of the iceberg but its a good start.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Westcoast,

I know you study the entire west coast's activity...I also know there are frequent earthquakes off the coast of Oregon, I think from an under water volcano.

So my question is, do you see any connection to these events and have you noticed any sesmic activity in the three sisters area?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
worried now :/ is this a super volcano? it doesnt sound like it from the link but im not sure, someone help

2nd

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
worried now :/ is this a super volcano? it doesnt sound like it from the link but im not sure, someone help

2nd

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I don't know if you live near the Three Sisters but I'd be devastated to see our skyline changed. I went from cityscape skyline to one of huge beautiful mountains. The scenery and nature here is what keeps me. The Three Sisters are a big part of that scenery.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

Well I would imagine the popular theory would be that the magma is being generated from the friction of the subducting plates. I have my one running theory regarding a suspected magma chamber (that is based on a scientific paper by someone else) in my What's Happening In Washington State (see my sig line). I expanded that theory in my putting it all together thread, that perhaps the big hot spots in the country are more inerconected than we realize.

I have noticed some quakes in that general area this past year (I know I commented on it....still haven't had time to search my threads) but it would make sense that there would be micro quakes associated with the intrusion. I know there were times of swarms deep tremors in the area too (see above linked thread...my post part way down that page addresses it). Now add in those new off-shore volcanos and the one that erupted this past year, the picture gets even more interesting. Kinda unsettling how active all that magma is down there.

As to whether or not I think this could be a super-eruption, well...there is no evidence to that and the source article says nothing of that nature. It is thought that this is a pretty small amount of intrusion working its way up....not a caldera. Big difference. Like I said in the opening: I didn't start this thread as an alarm or warning, just for info. No need to panic, but just pay attention to it. I have provided several links to monitor the activity, at least seismic. If you do some more searching you can probably find more resources or articles.

I live far North of the Sisters and until this past six months or so, I never even really looked at them because nothing ever happens there. This is what prompted me to write about it when I saw the quakes and tremors this past year. A small eruption down there would have absolutely no impact on me....and hopefully, if it is contained to the area they (scientists) think it will be, it won't impact anyone else either.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join