It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loaded Question: What is the One True Religion?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
So many posts and threads on Christianity,but there are at least 43 religions.

Actually, according to this site there are over 43,000 different christian denominations.

www.philvaz.com...

Your Total "Christian Denominations" Count for today is 43125

I also grew up in a methodist / baptist house hold. Found the differences rather strange. The methodist side seemed to be based more on money and the service felt very cultic. The baptist side was just too full of fire and brimstone.
edit on 5-1-2012 by vogon42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Religion is the worship of what one believes is God or the highest power,

So, is it hard to figure out unless you just happen to think all creation came about happenstance with no creative power or super intelligence.

In my book there is too much that is far beyond happenstance that it makes me realize there is a great Creator that is as great or greater than all His Creation.

Non really need be in the dark, with our little finite minds The Great Creator did leave us some Word on it but to most it is more than they can comphrehend and so mark it off as irrelevant. Well it is not and if read and understood it actually is proof of itself being His Word and that He is Who He says He is. The prophecy does the proving.

Now one true religion, yes, it would be to know Him and follow Him and He came in the body of a Man called Jesus Christ Or Messiah to some. The true religion is to follow Him and do His will as your example and way.

No denomination of religion actully follows Him but there own construction of theology and that is a theory and not following Him. Those who follow Him are his Spiritual Members that make up His Spiritual Body His one and only True Church. All the rest are merely structures of men's cobbling.

In Hillbilly Englisth That Thar Is The True Religion.

Sibbs

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

So many posts and threads on Christianity,but there are at least 43 religions.

Is there one true religion?
All a matter of opinion and perspective.

Being I'm agnostic,meaning a non-believer in religion,but a believer in a higher power, I ask the question.

I was brought up in a Methodist/Baptist household,went to church and bible school.

Seems Atheist and Christians are close in the number of members.Approximate,that is.

Here is a list of the varied religions I ask that you look through them and decide,if you are not already a member of one of those religions,is there one "true " religion?

Here is the link.
www.religionfacts.com...
edit on 4-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

All religions are false. However there is only 1 Messiah and you can serve him without the trappings of religion. You can have a personal relationship with him without ever needing to look at a priest or the false "Pope".

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sibbs
The true religion is to follow Him and do His will as your example and way.

I think this small part makes a huge point. Probably my biggest gripe about the belief system today. Everyone "claims" to be christian, or this, or that, but no one seems to follow the "law" of their belief. I admit, myself included at times, but I see and feel that I try. Some people just wont let you be nice to them. But to see the average person who doesnt believe anything, I can not fault. They have no reason other than their own to do one thing or another. Christians on the other hand, are downright hateful to a non believer, and of course, non believers like to do what anyone else of any belief... taunt! I'm enjoy it myself when provoked.

Often times, I've found myself asking a serious, honest question, to a preacher or brother, or christian friend.. The responce was always... Why are you so negative! All I seen in that is, "you simply dont want to answer my question... why not just say.. I dont know.. instead of belittling me?"

And this comming from someone who truely wanted to believe. What can I say.. Even as a youngin, no one likes to take you seriously. It's this way or do not speak! You sinful vagabond! We must pray for your forgiveness and you must be saved by the blood....

I've heard those latter words so many times... I've been saved so many times... and you know, I really dont feel any diffrent because of it. I think most of my belief, and most if not all of my serenity came from my own simple mode of belief. When I threw Catholicism, Christianity (non denom - baptist - other) in the mix, it got so much more confusing. So much so, that it not only really clouds your judgment, but really pushes one away from their beliefs. Once I could say I was unwavering... you could not tell me that I was against my beliefs... Sadly, it took one hell of a wakeup call to see that I was doing the same as anyone else. Talking, but not walking... So I decided to throw it off of me, partly because I felt it was pointless, some because I felt that I was fooling myself all those years... how could so much bad always happen to those that believe...?, and mostly because I was angry that such things happened to me specificly.

It's hard to follow a path with so few real rolemodels to walk with. I have way too many questions, and I dont believe there is a human on this earth today that can answer them and actually know and speak the truth.

The Jews have not seen God since Moses, and Jesus since 2000 years ago... Who do we ask? The representatives on earth? That's like asking a politician to tell you what he's going to do the next 4 years. You'll get an answer alright.. but it's usually not going to be true and it almost will never turn out like he advises.

Yet still I search.. Because I want to know and believe in truth.

OP... damn what a can of worms, brotha!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

That is my purpose,to make you think and question everything.
You are not living if you do not question your very existence everyday.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

The one true religion is a man's conscience. If men would listen to their conscience rather than religion, I believe the world would be a very different place. And yes I also realize that some men dont have a conscience but most I believe do have one and if they would listen to it then we'd be living a very different life my friends. Thomas Jefferson once said that his conscience was his temple rather than the church. I tend to agree with him. I believe that we are all born with a sense of right and wrong good and evil and if we would listen to this sense it would save us a whole lot of trouble. To quote my favorite philosopher, social reformist and humanitarian Mahatma Gandhi "Religions are different roads converging to the same point. What does it matter that we take different roads, so long as we reach the same goal. Wherein is the cause for quarreling?" We're all heading twords the same destination so it really doesnt matter the path we take. At least that is my opinion.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kokatsi
You just have to meet your Spirit Guides and have a heart-to-heart talk.
Then experience things for yourself.
Trial and error.
That is true in the truest sense of the word. All else is belief.

Yep! I already met mine, and they helped me to gain power over any and all Inferior Spirits. (Demons to you Christians) Once they have no power over you, nothing does.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

In all religion and belief there exists only one man who an entire population of imperfects looks to for access to the Holy Spirit of God. Perhaps this is why Christianity is most discussed.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I'm going to have to go all hippy on you and say:

Love, respect, kindness of spirit
Not strictly a religion but it's the religion I try to follow... if that makes sense lol

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi

The one true religion is beyond words and is found within one's self. Know thyself.

So good to see that someone else gets it.
If you cannot find 'God' - for want of a better word - by looking inside yourself and then by working on improving yourself, then all you are doing is following somebody elses personal beliefs - and guess what - that person got 'their ' belief from someone else and so on.
Parental indoctrination is the worst example I can think of because it happened to me. Just because the parent believes in Jesus for example does'nt give them the right to FORCE that belief through indoctrination onto the child. In my case I truely believed my parents and everything they said about God, Jesus, the devil and the bible. Then I grew up, started to think for myself and realised that I didn't choose to be Christian - it was forced on me. I did my own research into religion and its history and saw it for what it was. Completely MAN MADE.
The day I realised this was the day I started to look inside myself and it has been a hard road to travel but I have never looked back.
Peace.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TattooedWarrior

I've had a terrible time of it.... Catholic teachings from my mother's side and Native American spirituality from my Dad's side.. almost polar opposites.

I've come to the decision that "religion" or whatever word you choose to use should come from the inside. Help others, respect others, love others and live and let live as long as it doesn't hurt another.

Give freely your time and share your wealth, laugh a lot, treat all others as friends when you meet them, if they are miserable towards you.. work harder to make them smile.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit

I've come to the decision that "religion" or whatever word you choose to use should come from the inside. Help others, respect others, love others and live and let live as long as it doesn't hurt another.

Give freely your time and share your wealth, laugh a lot, treat all others as friends when you meet them, if they are miserable towards you.. work harder to make them smile.

"Philosophy" is what you're looking for. That wouldn't qualify as a religion.

Still, a good set of standards though.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Mister_Bit

With many,I agree,the one true religion is inside you.
No need in seeking it out from an outside source.

A side note:
Today I saw this guy in a minivan with all these religious bumper stickers and even the little fish symbol,cussing like a drunken sailor cause traffic was backed up.
I laughed so hard at the irony of it.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I can answer part of the question it was the Nation of Israel and it's form of worship up until the first century then it switched to Christianity for about 100 years, but they apostatized from the truth Jesus taught and then the truth was obscured for many centuries.

Once the bible could be massed produced in multiple languages the truth started getting out once again.
There has always been people on earth who were/are the closest to the truth of any belief system and even though they don't have everything 100% correct they are the one God favors because they are the closest.

Somebody who is sincerely looking for the "One True Religion" should prey to God so he can help them find it.
I would suggest you also use his personal name, which can be found at Psalms 83:18 at
biblos
edit on 8-1-2012 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
There was this person who was believed in that was written about in some books that we have a version of today called the Old Testament in the Christian Bible. This person seemed from appearances to be like a normal person but he seemed to have special powers which he seemed to not be able to impart to the regular people but told them he could do things for them which would be pretty good in comparison to just ignoring them and leaving them to whatever fate may befall them. Worshiping this person became a practice over time, as generations passed, with the hope that these good things were going to be happening to them.
We have a person who is of this same type, of which the legends were based, who is among us but not someone who would show up from time to time, but who came as a person who is one of us, being born into a family of rather ordinary humans, but having full knowledge of this power possessed by this type of person from whom he came. Through what this new person of extraordinary abilities did as one of us has released the ability for these others to impart upon us ordinary earth bound people these abilities to overcome the negative forces of nature inherent to life as we know it. So worship today is looking at this person and knowing who he was and what he did and what he is currently doing and to take from him this thing now available to be overcomers ourselves and to have the ultimate manifestation of this overcoming which is to live again in an eternal sort of way as that man of ancient legend.

If this sounds really weird to anyone, it does to me too, so if you have a better way to explain it, then be my guest and I would like to see what you have.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn

You are right you do not have many human role models. It is easy for me to say let Christ be your role model, and really you should, but for some they need something they can touch like Thomas. He needed to touch Jesus wounds to believe. Somehow you know if you saw a true follower of Christ it would all make since, and you are correct. I do not share the message of the Church rather I share the message of Christ. What questions do you have?

Why do bad things happen to people?

Mark 9:49 Everyone will be salted with fire.
Hebrews 12:6 Because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son."

1 Corinthians 3:10-15 10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care. 11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

You see that we all will be tested with fire, disciplined by the lord. The foundation is the bible and knowledge. If your foundation is strong, understanding of the bible, than your faith and your works will reflect this strong foundation. If your foundation, faith is weak your faith will be burned up during your trials in this world. Having this strong foundation and guidance of the Holy Spirit will allow you to stand up against the trials of this world, Gods fire and discipline.

Now for your most complicated question, why have I been saved so many times but feel no different?

1 John 4:4-6 4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 5 They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. 6 We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood.

1 John 4:16-18 God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. 17 This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. 18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

So you see because you know love and live in love, you live in God and he lives in you. This is the secret Christ is in you. What these passages clearly reveal is that if you live in love than Christ lives in you. This is not something you need to convert to it is simply the truth.

Do you understand why you do not feel different? He was in you from before you were born. He is the love and joy inside of you. If you understand this you will see that you have not changed only your knowledge has changed.

Most teach when you accept Christ that is when he lives in you. The bible says if you live by love you prove that you have Christ in you.

One last thing so you may know what the changed heart really means.

Ephesians 4:4-5 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
Mark 1:8, "I baptized you with water; but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit

The one baptism is baptism of the Holy Spirit only Christ can do this. Baptism of water is much the same as circumcision; it is good to do because it is part of the covenant for believers. But it is only an outward sign. If one is baptized but does not live by love then what good is the outward sign?

Someday you may be baptized by Christ when this happens you will be both confused and excited. Can’t really explain it. Do not worry about this simply worry about understanding the word and having faith that he lives in you and wants you to keep doing good things. Jesus knows what each of us is capable of, when he baptizes you with the Holy Spirit you are expected to serve him much more completely because he has revealed himself completely to you and filled you with his love. If this is meant to happen in your life it will.

I pray that you will give the bible anouther chance. You need to read it for yourself, letting the Holy Spirit teach you. Do this with faith and you will recieve. Start with the New Testament.

edit on 8-1-2012 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-1-2012 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sacgamer25

You see that we all will be tested with fire . . .

You think that is what Mark 9:49 is saying?
You posted that verse the other day and I was looking at it and it does not make much sense to me.

edit on 8-1-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

reply to post by Mister_Bit

With many,I agree,the one true religion is inside you.
No need in seeking it out from an outside source.

A side note:
Today I saw this guy in a minivan with all these religious bumper stickers and even the little fish symbol,cussing like a drunken sailor cause traffic was backed up.
I laughed so hard at the irony of it.

What a perfect...*what would Jesus do*...moment...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

Keep doing that and while searching, keep an attitude that if possible, you want to make the world you are in better and not worse. I think you do anyway but sometimes it is easy to forget, so you have to remind yourself from time to time. Life is not this idyllic sort of thing that fairy tales are made of, and the universe is flawed from a normal human standpoint but the fact that it is should not be reason to think there is someone to blame and it is just that way but it is better than not having a universe at all.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
reply to post by sacgamer25

You see that we all will be tested with fire . . .

You think that is what Mark 9:49 is saying?
You posted that verse the other day and I was looking at it and it does not make much sense to me.

edit on 8-1-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

I will post this message in its entirety the way I see it.

Salted with Fire

Mark 9:49 Everyone will be salted with fire.

Hebrews 12:6 Because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son."
1 Corinthians 3:10-15 10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care. 11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

You see that we all will be tested with fire, disciplined by the lord. The foundation is faith and knowledge. You build yourself through faith and knowledge and others through works. If your foundation is strong, understanding of the bible, than your faith and your works will reflect this strong foundation. If your foundation, faith or works are weak they will be burned up during your trials in this world. Having this strong foundation and guidance of the Holy Spirit will allow you to stand up against the trials of this world, Gods fire and discipline.

So you see you will suffer loss if your foundation and faith are week because you will succumb to the pressures of this world. But you will still be saved by what foundation and faith that you did have.

Mathew 13:3-9 The parable of the sower

3 Then He spoke many things to them in parables, saying: “Behold, a sower went out to sow. 4 And as he sowed, some seed fell by the wayside; and the birds came and devoured them. 5 Some fell on stony places, where they did not have much earth; they immediately sprang up because they had no depth of earth. 6 But when the sun was up they were scorched, and because they had no root they withered away. 7 And some fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up and choked them. 8 But others fell on good ground and yielded a crop, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. 9 He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”

Mathew 13:18-23 Parable of the sower explained

18 Therefore, hear the parable of the sower: 19 When anyone hears the word of the kingdom, and does not understand it, then the wicked one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is he who received seed by the wayside. 20 But he who received the seed on stony places, this is he who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy; 21 yet he has no root in himself, but endures only for a while. For when tribulation or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he stumbles. 22 Now he who received seed among the thorns is he who hears the word, and the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful, 23 But he who received seed on the good ground is he who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and produces: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.”

I believe that anyone who follows the law of love and has at times fallen away, and we all do, we may have at least asked ourselves am I in hell? I have asked myself that questions several times in my life. I felt very separated from God, and I could not imagine a worse feeling than being separated from God. I believe this feeling was part of God’s discipline, I was salted with fire.

I was the one who didn’t understand the word, so being that I didn’t understand it how could I stand up to the wicked one. The wicked one constantly sowed desires in me that I followed down the path of destruction. Now that I understand the word, studying it daily, I know that I can stand up against these desires. Now that I know it is Satan who is sowing these desires in me and that they are not what I want to do, I do not let the message that Satan is trying to sow stay in me. Instead I pray to God that he snatch away the evil seed before it has a chance to grow. When I pray for God to do this he does.

Now that I understand the word I should spread what I know so that I may produce a crop for God.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join