It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loaded Question: What is the One True Religion?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
So many posts and threads on Christianity,but there are at least 43 religions.

Is there one true religion?
All a matter of opinion and perspective.

Being I'm agnostic,meaning a non-believer in religion,but a believer in a higher power, I ask the question.

I was brought up in a Methodist/Baptist household,went to church and bible school.

Seems Atheist and Christians are close in the number of members.Approximate,that is.

Here is a list of the varied religions I ask that you look through them and decide,if you are not already a member of one of those religions,is there one "true " religion?

Here is the link.
www.religionfacts.com...
edit on 4-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
None. Religion is the bane of true faith in man.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Hey KDog....

For me, it's a blend of Quantum Physics and Buddhism...with a light sprinkling of Celtic Mysticism....

With an open mind, and room for more, should it grab me and shake me real good.
edit on 4-1-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Almost every religion, currently practiced, and extinct have some truth to them.
All of them also contain lies, some of them even on purpose, as well as most containing mechanisms for the religion/faith/belief to grow and sustain itself almost like a living thing that needs food to grow and thrive.

The operative word in your question, I think is 'True', and I think that interpreting what 'True' is, will be filled with snares and barbs.

The best and truest religion for you, or any individual, in my opinion, is the religion one custom makes designs, fits, and follows for each his/her own life.
This could be variation on one of the main branches, braids of several intertwined, or something simply made up and stuck to.

Faith is faith, regardless whether it is true or not.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Hey Des,yes I am a fan of Buddhism also,makes alot more sense then the other religions.
I actually have my little budda statue I keep around to rub his belly for good luck every once in awhile.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

The one true religion is beyond words and is found within one's self. Know thyself.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix

Almost every religion, currently practiced, and extinct have some truth to them.
All of them also contain lies, some of them even on purpose, as well as most containing mechanisms for the religion/faith/belief to grow and sustain itself almost like a living thing that needs food to grow and thrive.

The operative word in your question, I think is 'True', and I think that interpreting what 'True' is, will be filled with snares and barbs.

The best and truest religion for you, or any individual, in my opinion, is the religion one custom makes designs, fits, and follows for each his/her own life.
This could be variation on one of the main branches, braids of several intertwined, or something simply made up and stuck to.

Faith is faith, regardless whether it is true or not.

I love that answer.
I told you it was a loaded question,but the true religion is really based on the person.
I just feel that alot of times on here it is heavily biased towards Christianity,don't really hear much on any other religions.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
There is no "TRUE" religion in a sense of the word.
every culture has had its own stories and myths to try and make sense of the world around them,
these stories were then passed from one generation to another until they became known as TRUTH

many of these local "truths" correlate with one another and over time have formed regional churhes and faiths.

which have, in turn, developed and amalgamated together with other churhes to form what we call today..

..RELIGION..

so to answer your question: There Isn't One.

But im only human, so im probably wrong

WD

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Hey Des,yes I am a fan of Buddhism also,makes alot more sense then the other religions.
I actually have my little budda statue I keep around to rub his belly for good luck every once in awhile.

I have a small alter with my statue of Buddha, incense, scrying bowl...and whatever else *feels* right for the given time.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi

The one true religion is beyond words and is found within one's self. Know thyself.

And with that,which I have always said,should be what a true religion should be,be true to yourself and others.
Follow what you know to be is right and true to your heart.
No need to follow what some priest tells you it should be.
You should know what it is,what is right .

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I don't have the scrying bowl,but everything else,I'm with you 100%.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
You just have to meet your Spirit Guides and have a heart-to-heart talk.
Then experience things for yourself.
Trial and error.
That is true in the truest sense of the word. All else is belief.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I don't think there is as most religions that claim to be the only true religion mention prophets from over religions for example Jesus is recognized in the Koran,if they believe the holy Koran is the only true religion why would they confirm Jesus is the son of god in there scriptures.it is all mind boggling and we will probably never know,maybe its best just to believe in many gods,like the Greeks did

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Even this priest will tell you there's no one true religion.. he speaks to that very point .. ( worth listening to ) .. even if you do believe in a God .. religion is the invention of men .. and no invention of man can define God .. Ignore the illuminati bit in the topic, this priest isn't talking about that.

I am an atheist and yet I still found his words to be profound .. I have deep respect for this man.

edit on 1/4/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
If any religious belief could be proven, everyone would believe it. And since none have proven themselves, none can be called "the One True Religion". Even if everyone thinks their personal religion is undeniable true, take that with a grain of salt. Anyone who won't accept at least the slightest chance they are wrong, generally aren't critical enough of thinkers to have their beliefs hold much weight.

Atheism, for most, is not believing in religions that can't prove themselves, or even come up with any reason particular to believe them. However, you can not properly prove there are no deities, so even If I don't belief in any, I wouldn't be as bold to declare it the "One True Religion".

On top of that, the fact that Atheism is, by definition nothing more than lacking a belief in deities, and not a religion, it's not even eligible. Various religions that don't invoke deities could end up being true, such as many Buddhist branches. Or Materialism, or any other non-supernatural invoking beliefs. All of these could possibly be true.

~
Here's the Closest thing I have to "One and True". Critical Thinking, and Skepticism. Judge the facts, question everything. Don't be easily convinced, but allow yourself to be if the evidence is convincing. Research as much as you care about the topic, don't hold onto ideas just because they are ideal to you, avoid psuedo-science, and be able to distinguish bias from real facts.

If you think hard about evidence, and assess it rationally, it'll get you as close to the truth as you can get. Gullibility or letting emotion affect what you believe(While I'm not against Idealists, it's not good at determining objective truths) can get you anywhere without much accuracy.

And always be willing to change your beliefs in light of new evidence, if any groundbreaking evidence shows up.

I can't guarantee that'll land you at "The Truth", but for sure it's a better shot at getting closer to it, and far more likely to lead you to it than any other method will. Your best bet.
edit on 4-1-2012 by xxsomexpersonxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by blackhillsbrutality

Then how, exactly, does one find the "correct" religion if we only have a few books and a millions of followers in most?

OP, to be honest with you, I still wonder that very thing. Which is which? Maybe I'll find out in the end. I certainly remain confused among the masses today. Too many to chose from. Even the non denoms, as with all the rest, are candies of diffrent flavors... Choose the one that suits your tastebuds. Every one has a "way", wether they want to call it religion or not. I think the best one, not on the list, is unorganized religion... just call it Faith and HOPE I'm right.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I am really enjoying how this is going.
I am so glad there are so many open minds to the fact there is so many different beliefs.
An open mind is a true source of finding what it means to be a human on this planet Earth.
There is not a book or a deity that can define that.
You,you are that deity.
You are what you make of yourselves.
You define yourself and shape your world.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

There are two aspects that answer the question:

Belief in God allows a person's faith to be developed to holiness. God is Holy. This implies that He is untarnished by error or wrong. Free will demands that evil must exist. As the ultimate act of giving, God allows evil so that others may experience its opposite-Love / Good. This is God's work in us. In other words, God's practice of giving to others is to impress a spiritual value in His creation, bringing insentience to sentience; bringing darkness to light; bringing hatred to love. This is God's work from the allowance of freedom and liberty among His creations.

By example, we learn that our own religion is one in the same. The Bible records a definition of true religion.

James 1:27

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

To save us from sin and death, God sent His Son as a living sacrifice for our error. By doing this, we are made Holy by the example of our own kinsman. At our lowest point in history, understanding that we killed the Living Son of God in the flesh, we are brought back the opposite direction to a place of glory with God. How? Jesus conquered sin and death for us. Love brings us back. Jesus example is to love our enemies. The only way we can save this world is to do the same by example. Sacrifice for the other person is what love is all about.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Why not search? Ask God to help you find Him and have faith that He will. Then start following a religion. Above all you must be honest with yourself and truly mean to find God. I found the Catholic faith because God gave me mystical signs.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
Why not search? Ask God to help you find Him and have faith that He will. Then start following a religion. Above all you must be honest with yourself and truly mean to find God. I found the Catholic faith because God gave me mystical signs.

The idea of "Asking god", and either reading subjective feelings, or interpreting "signs" as the answer, is very inaccurate.

That leads people to all sorts of religions. Generally whatever they had a form of predisposition for. Even god's no one would believe in modern days, still "gave" signs and feelings of their presence to their believers or those curious about them in the past.

For example, I did have a "prayer" answered once. Random rash covering a good portion of my arm the next day for no reason I ever figured out, caused a series of events that in a round about way 'gave' me what I'd asked for.

~
If I described this as a prayer to a christian god, most christians would harp me for not accepting it. That I shouldn't dismiss it as a coincidence. They'd say that I should accept it as evidence.

But actually, it was a non-conventional god with a very small following. Suddenly, that "Proof you're ignoring", became "Must of been coincidence".

But why? People are willing to accept subjective or anecdotal evidence for what they already believe, and yet hold strong skepticism for what they don't. People should realize that these false "experiences" can happen to anybody. The people who believe as you believe are just as prone to it, and even you are. So once you take out those experiences that can easily be false, then you're left with(maybe nothing), whatever real evidence you have left. Examining the real evidence is what's gonna get you somewhere accurately. Maybe it'll confirm or deny where the subjective experience led, but you can be more sure of where you are if you follow that.

~
Note, this post isn't really directed at you, 547000. It's just a talking point you opened up with your post. My previous post was about trusting evidence and logic, because it'll get you "closer to the truth" than any other method of coming to beliefs. So this is a necessary addendum making a clear point about, at least as I see it, what shouldn't count as evidence.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join