It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother shoots and kills an armed Intruder. A look at why the Second Amendment is still needed today.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I always see people on ATS, especially other Countries who question the need for the Second Amendment. Often the argument is made that it is outdated. Today we have Police, tasers, pepper spray and any number of things we could do to defend ourselves without the use of a Firearm.

I say nonsense! The Second Amendment is still relevant today as it was in 1776 and I would argue even more so. I do not intend to get into the Political aspect of having to defend yourself from a tyrannical Government, though that was the intention of the Second Amendment. However self defense extends beyond Government, it is the defense of your life, liberty and property.

Here is an example of where the Second Amendment is not only relative, but necessary. This 18 year old mother of an infant son was home alone with her child for the New Year. Her husband has just died of Cancer on Christmas Day. Two men show up at her home, at night. One is armed with a Hunting knife. They go door to door looking for a way to make entry, until they finally kick in the door and invade her home.

Women Shoots, Kills Intruder

This young women did all the right things. She secured her infant child. She armed herself. She then called 911 asking them to send someone immediately. She ask the Operator if she is allowed to shoot him if he enters her home. I find it sad that the Operator could not tell her "yes it is ok to defend yourself", instead she tells her, "I can't tell you that, but you do what you have to do to protect your baby".

For most of us, that type of answer is as good as a yes. For others, it would probably cause them to second guess themselves and when it comes to defending your life, you should never have to second guess. There is no choice in that matter. Should you be forced to sacrifice your life for the life of a criminal who wants to do you harm through no fault of your own? This case has as happy an ending as anyone could ask for in such a situation, but how would it end if this women was unarmed because the law said she could not own a firearm?

Fact is, as this case highlights and many others have shown, the Police can not get there fast enough. In a time when seconds count, you do not have time to wait 10-15 minutes or longer for help to arrive. This next video has not been confirmed as real or fake. In my opinion it does not matter, it is a prime example of what can happen when seconds count and you are unable to defend yourself. It is known as the "Ruth Price 911 call". In this call, an elderly women calls 911 when she believes someone is "prowling" around her property. While on the phone she is attacked and killed. Again, this video may be a hoax, but in this context I believe at the very least it is a realistic simulation of what could happen.

**WARNING** This is a VERY disturbing and chilling video**

This is why the right to bear arms should always be preserved and never infringed upon. As a human being, you have every right to defend yourself from anyone who wishes to do you harm.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
"As a human being, you have every right to defend yourself from anyone who wishes to do you harm. "

You damn straight you do ! Espically in todays world.

Kudos to the lady for defending her self and whats hers.

Sometimes for people who want to commit a crime the only way to learn is the HARD way .

Which is usually a bullet to the leg or arm as a reminder. I would shoot to neutralize the threat , not to kill .

I rather have him live , go to the hospital then lay in jail or at home in bed , with that bullet marking as a reminder of what stupidity gets you .

That old lady at the end scary

What was that dog doing ! he should've been eating his face !

edit on 4-1-2012 by yourboycal2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
i believe it is a persons basic right to defend their own life, and by extension, the life of your child.

others believe that it is wrong to take any life, human or animal ( ironic since we to, are animals
)

she did what she believed was a necessary thing to do in the situation,
could any of us say we would do it differently?

WD

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

The above is why the 2nd Amendment is needed. If you can't defend yourself properly, the police will only be there to draw a chalk line around you.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I will shoot to KILL if you come through the door withouth invitation, if you make it onto my property you "might" get an easy pass to the hospital, DOUBT it. anyone that is shot and not killled, will come back.

I will not call 911 for help. PERIOD

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

If you really wanted to "neutralize the threat" you would shoot to kill. Hitting a person dead center in the chest is much easier than trying to hit a moving leg or arm. What if you have 6 feet between you and an attacker and you miss? What if you do not miss, but you just graze the target? Very quickly that 6 feet becomes 4 feet, 2 feet, I'm on top of you and you now have no chance to "aim".

Sorry I'm not playing with my life and I am not leaving anything to chance. I'm going to drop you where you stand. Threat "neutralized". If you die as a result, that's your fault not mine.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I own guns and support gun ownership. The sad fact is however people shoot themselves or loved ones far more often they do any sort of attacker. I honestly think people need some sort of madatory class every few years on gun safety because far to many idiots end up with people getting shot on accident. Do not drink and play with your guns, do not leave you gun so your kid can find it and shoot themselves or another kid and secure your weapons when your not home as most weapons used in crimes are taken from peoples homes. Guns can be a useful tool on the rare occasion you may need it but, you have to have some common sense and be careful.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments, queries or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join