It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens when we die?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2003 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I know that no-one really knows the answer, so Im really just looking for opinions.

My greatest fear is that when we die, nothing happens, just black. You cannot see your loved ones or friends again. Just nothingness.

My greatest hope is that there is a heaven.

Any opinions?

posted on Apr, 14 2003 @ 08:32 AM
link   
The ending probably depends on the circumstances of what is out there.

What if we are in The Matrix?
What if we are in Hell?
What if we are in Heaven?
What if we are reincarnated?
etc.

The circumstances will prove what will happen to us in the end. I highly doubt that death is the end, if that is any consolation. On the otherhand, it is a high probability that was lies beyond is not going to be the best of all possible worlds.

Well, we have an eternity to find out, so I guess there is no rush

posted on Apr, 14 2003 @ 08:36 AM
link   
if you say we die and it's nothing, then we wont have a memory so it wouldnt be a black, it would be like you never existed. I hope thats not the case, I do believe something created us and the universe, I believe in the idea of God, I guess I would be christian, but I don't go to church because I see most "christians" as two faced, and the church as... hmm how would I say... corrupt. I believe almost all religion come down to one thing and that is basically try to be a decent person. I know I am getting off topic so let me get back to the afterlife. I am not sure if heaven and hell are what we think perhaps they are lies, we shall never truly know until we are dead as holy scriptures have been altered by those in power. Perhaps we are reborn, maybe not as humans even. Maybe we return to a flow of energy, or we become part of guiding forces in the universe. I like to think there is an afterlife and that I will experience it. Those who say there isn't one, I don't know why they see a reason to live at all, if once your dead you are nothing then what was the point of ever being? Not like everyone effects humanity so if that is the way they think then they are just disposable humans, no?

Even if I was just to say allowed to view the universe keep expanding and life across it evovle I'd be happy with that as an afterlife, or maybe death is the next step? Maybe you aren't really dead, You may be dead in this dimension but ascended into the next?

I don't know if that made any sense to you but it's how I feel inside.

posted on Apr, 14 2003 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I wonder myself, though I don't think about it much because I have a "thing" with death.
I feel that when our bodies die, our souls continue to live until God "says so" Sometimes I feel there are lessons to be learned and sometimes I feel we continue to move on because we can't let go-meaning we weren't ready to die yet and haven't learned about life in the physical sense and mental, for that matter. I think that the end of the world is the end of life for everyone, this is the time when we are chosen for heaven or hell, but until that time, we just keep being reborn over and over. Ok, so basically with all this said, I have no clue. Actually I think I could better explain it in person then trying to write it down. But it was a good question and I'm sure you'll get alot of different opinions.
Magestica

posted on Apr, 14 2003 @ 08:52 AM
link   
ermsss
somehow we have to take a one point of our ancient here like
1.maybe they went to HADES like the ancient rome believe
2.maybe they are around us like everyday
3.in muslim believe they gone to where we call alam barzah this place is a resting place for the good people
also for the bad one they enter another side of that place.and being punish
4.maybe reincarnation to another form

posted on Apr, 14 2003 @ 08:54 AM
link   
When you die, you look a mess. That much is true.

posted on Apr, 14 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   
umm you that claims you are a christian but you dont believe in heaven or hell or you dont know. well let me tell you that i am a christian and you know that there is a heaven or hell. that is based around the whole idea of christianity. Jesus raised from the dead after being killed and that is why we are able to go to heaven. he died for our sins and you have to believe that in order to be a christian. you always know if you are a christian it is the greatest gift of your life and youre supposed to go to church because you have to keep the saboth day holy. he created the church for us and tahts why you go. just had a few words to say to you so yeah

posted on Apr, 14 2003 @ 03:12 PM
link   
How much of that has been fed to you by the church? We don't know what's truly in the bible so much has been edited. Think back to 900-1500 AD The pope had atrocities comitted in the name of God. Yes go to church so Benny Hin can afford his new 10 million dollar mansion. Claims I am a christian? Did my two-faced comment strike you a little too close to the heart? Church is a place to socialize and network. God is every where isnt he? So why couldn't I worship him in my own way instead of conforming to Baptist, Mormon, Catholic, etc which all have conflicting views, so Who is the TRUE christian? Man created the church. Heaven and Hell are good and evil. I believe in Jesus Christ so you can take your ASSumptions and go watch the trinity broadcasting network. Please put your hand on the screen and send me 10% of your wages.

[Edited on 14-4-2003 by Lysergic]

posted on Apr, 14 2003 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Three purposes for the return of souls to this world : To collect into the soul the properties of all being , to acquire knowledge of all things , to acquire the power to overcome chaos.

The same thing that happens to everything when it dies, get put into ground, many yrs of decompisition, finally return to an organic fuel for something else that is liveing. exept one small diff. Religions say one way or another the soul will live on and continue to survive. Now if we like everything in this megaverse works alike we will continue on a circular pattern through out our lives. Just as summer turns to fall, and fall into winter and winter to spring, spring to summer its a cycle that never ends. Of course through the ages beliefs have been corrupted for those who seek personal glory, so ancient truth must be rediscovered...or does it, perhaps the truth is so obvious we cannot see it for we make it difficult.

[Edited on 14-4-2003 by ADVISOR]

posted on Apr, 14 2003 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Your GREATEST FEAR is NOTHINGNESS? How about burning in Hell for ETERNITY? If it was my choice, between Hell or nothingness, you can bet that I'd choose nothingness. That is a question asked by someone who is unsure. Many of these other replys are unsure as well. Wouldn't it be nice to be sure? You need to read the bible. As for people being turned off to Christianity because of the people: MANY people people concider themselves Christians, even George Bush. However, how do we know for sure? We don't. People are human, we ALL sin and make mistakes, even pastors and ministers. God allows trials and tribulations so you can learn from them and know that HE is in control. He uses them as tools for constructing you into the person you need to be. Read the bible, and pray for the Holy Spirit to convict your heart that you, like everyone else, have sinned against his comandments, and that you want forgiveness for those sins, and that you want to follow HIM and not the world, which will waste away. That is how you will KNOW.

posted on Apr, 14 2003 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I think when we die ... that's it ... nothing more. Bub bye you! Why do we have religion? To ease the pain of knowing there is no more u after death.

posted on Apr, 14 2003 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Might want to get off your high horse for just a second. Nice holier than thou attitude. So if I am to believe in God I am not allowed to think abstractly? My comment about the nothingness was because of those who don't believe in any after life. It's like why bother then right? But you had to make a huge ASSumption wtg.

I think one of the commandments so called self righteous holly rolling christians forget is
Thou Shall Not Judge.

posted on Apr, 14 2003 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Endisnear, you should stop talking out of your a**. Who are you to tell me to read the bible? How do you know that I havent? Because, yes, I have read the bible. But that doesnt necessarily make me sure of where Im going after death.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
I like to think there is an afterlife and that I will experience it. Those who say there isn't one, I don't know why they see a reason to live at all, if once your dead you are nothing then what was the point of ever being? Not like everyone effects humanity so if that is the way they think then they are just disposable humans, no?

People who don't believe in an afterlife have more reason than anyone to live. Because if there is no afterlife that means THIS IS IT. "This is the only life so while I'm here I should enjoy it. Have fun, jump out of airplanes, go to the beach, have sex with as many people as possible, etc. etc. ad nauseum. Becuase after this there's nothing."

People who believe in an afterlife have the luxury to spend this life resting - lying on the couch watching TV, sitting in a chair surfing the net, sleeping until 3:00pm, reading books, etc.
Because there's an afterlife so they don't have to put a lot of effort into this one if they don't want.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 02:33 AM
link   
we die. only then will we see what's on the other side
as of now, no man knows.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I would assume you just trandspond onto a new level of consiousness... Heaven and Hell is just a misunderstanding though....
Threats to force you into social conformity

top topics

join