It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

science is prooving that meditation has a real effect

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Hi

Just watched an interesting vid on the bbc website and thought I would share it with you all.

Personally I haven't meditated in ages but have recently had the urge to start again but haven't been able to find the time, watching this has inspired me to start again. I hope it does the same for others.

For those who cant watch this it is the second part of a small experiment by the beeb to test the scientific effects of meditation, They use cat scans to look at the brain and work out what areas are effected by meditation, and guess what they discovered... it reduces stress pain and get this even self centered-ness or in other words... THE EGO!

Time to get back on it me thinks!

enjoy

edit: sorry had self contentedness instead of self centered-ness (dyslexia kicking in) in the last sentence - big bloody difference - sory!!!!!

edit on 4-1-2012 by doubledutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by doubledutch

Even small amounts of meditation are of great value...

Listen to God... He has lots to say

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

i never understood how to meditate, what is the difference between this and sleeping?

you must sit up? and breathe deeply?

Why not lie down? Does it matter?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
It's not God.If you force your brain to think about something , you will get to that mood.

Example: If it's cold outside and you say to yourself that it's hot and you really believe that , the weather will seem hotter than earlier.

God has nothing to say because he doesnt exist btw.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Hey, OP! Was your video.... this one?!:

If not, I recommend everyone to take a look at it! Dr. John Hagelin, PhD is amazing at tying together the scientific and the spiritual.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by OrNaM3nT

God has nothing to say because he doesnt exist btw.

You are free to believe that my friend...

One day you will see for yourself... as everyone will.

I wish you luck when that day comes.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain

i never understood how to meditate, what is the difference between this and sleeping?

you must sit up? and breathe deeply?

Why not lie down? Does it matter?

No it does not matter... though laying down will cause some to fall asleep.

Sitting upright exibits control over the body... Rythmic breathing is control over the breath... Both take control of the mind...

This story might help you... though do not take this as the only way to do it. There are many many ways... to each their own.

reluctant-messenger.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Ugh.....

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
There has been case studies to support this. It only takes 8 weeks or proper meditation to change activity in your brain. They have brain scans to back it up. I will get some more info and links when I have time. I have been wanting to try this myself. Ever sense back and neck pain my mind feels cloudy at times.

There are other instances were someone used meditation to get rid of a tumors. One guy said he would meditate and imagine a little guy with a axe chopping up the cancer cells. To doctors astonishment months later the tumor was completely gone without medical attention.

Also meditation helps with breathing and more oxygen to your body and so forth. I believe it strongly!

With a personal and athletic training background I have done case studies on just the breathing aspect and just correcting your breathing helps your body a lot.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

hi and thanks for your comment... I totally agree! I have never meditated much and dont claim to be an expert by any means, but when I do it really does have an amazing effect on me... ask my wife!

Although... can we refrain from calling him / her god and go for 'creator' or something else please? Im really not into organized religion and that word makes me think of that.

Also it has the potential to turn this into a christian bashing session which I would also like to avoid if possible. Ta

edit: (two posts up, see what I mean!).

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

hi - as far as I know theres a huge difference - sleeping is sleeping , meditating is meditating.

There is loads of info on this site about it if your interested, just go search it out, it's all there!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

Hi - no it's not but that's a really good vid, thanks!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
what I like about the bbc vid is that regular people like me can relate to it without it being too new age, it uses a language that anyone can understand and features people that anyone can relate to, I guess it's more mainstream and could have the potential to have a far reaching impact, whereas the vid posted just above here, whilst being really interesting, requires a certain amount of understanding that might scare away run of the mill 'straighties' who look at meditation as 'new age' and a load of rubbish... maybe, just maybe if science and men in grey suits start to promote it then maybe, just maybe meditation could become 'main stream'... just think how amazing that could be!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by doubledutch

hi and thanks for your comment... I totally agree! I have never meditated much and dont claim to be an expert by any means, but when I do it really does have an amazing effect on me... ask my wife!

Although... can we refrain from calling him / her god and go for 'creator' or something else please? Im really not into organized religion and that word makes me think of that.

Also it has the potential to turn this into a christian bashing session which I would also like to avoid if possible. Ta

Unfortunatly no i can not refrain from calling him/her/it God... Would you prefer Father?

Just so you know, im not "into" organized religion either... or any religion for that matter.

If Christians come here to bash people, let them come... This is not a religious thread so they will get their posts removed for being off topic...

Besides, Meditation is rarely a part of Christian teaching... They prefer to pray... i say let their prayers fall on deaf ears...

Praying is talking to God... Meditation is listening to him...

That is why i said even small amounts of meditation is great

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by doubledutch

Unfortunatly no i can not refrain from calling him/her/it God... Would you prefer Father?

Just so you know, im not "into" organized religion either... or any religion for that matter.

If Christians come here to bash people, let them come... This is not a religious thread so they will get their posts removed for being off topic...

Besides, Meditation is rarely a part of Christian teaching... They prefer to pray... i say let their prayers fall on deaf ears...

Praying is talking to God... Meditation is listening to him...

That is why i said even small amounts of meditation is great

ok fair enough, call him god, it doesn't really matter to me and in any other context I would welcome it, I just didn't want this to turn in a christian hate/bashing thread or for that matter a christian thread. It is neither and I find that people react rather badly if you mention Christianity, and by using the name god that is what it implies to me... but as I said you are free to call your god whatever you like.

I like what you said about Praying is talking to God, Meditation is listening to him... I have never thought of it this way...

thanks

dd

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
There is a reason why Yoga is like thousands of years old. If it didn't have any effect it would not exist now.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
There is a reason why Yoga is like thousands of years old. If it didn't have any effect it would not exist now.

Modern science is only rediscovering the wheel but it's not a bad thing at all.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by D1ss1dent

i totally agree, maybe one day everyone will meditate... now that would be amazing!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
David Lynch the film maker speaking about transendental meditation:
youtu.be...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The difference between sleeping and meditating is probably the same as sleeping in REM compared to a different stage of sleep. I was also thinking I wonder if the power nap theory replaced with a power meditation would probably be even more beneficial.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join