It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN going after the soldier who supported Ron Paul

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

Ron Paul even introduced the guy as serving multiple tours overseas and the guy has only done one tour.

When GQ tried to reach Thorsen for a comment, an Army public affairs officer said, "His unit is discussing things with him and have asked him not to comment further on the event."

An hour later we received an official statement from the Army Reserve that says, "Cpl. Jesse Thorsen, an Army Reserve Soldier, stands alone in his opinions regarding his political affiliation and beliefs, and his statements and beliefs in no way reflect that of the Army Reserve."

The statement did confirm the following details about Thorsen:

- Cpl. Jesse D. Thorsen is, as stated in his interviews, 28 years of age.
- He is with a Engineer Company out of Des Moines, IA, and his unit falls
under the 416th Theater Engineer Command out of Darien, IL.
- His official MOS is 12N - Heavy Construction Worker, and is filling a
Combat Engineer slot (12B), but is not currently qualified for the Military Occupational Specialty.
- Cpl. Thorsen joined the military (Florida National Guard) on July 31, 2001, and joined the Army Reserve in 2009.
- He has deployed once in support of Operation Enduring Freedom in 2009.
- He was not in an active status during his participation in the Iowa caucus yesterday.

It looks like there are two new items here. Paul introduced Thorsen as a multi-tour veteran, but the Army says he only did one tour in Afghanistan. The statement also says that Thorsen "was not in an active status during his participation in the Iowa caucus." That was certainly not how Paul characterized him, and service records obtained today show him serving in the Army Reserve in Des Moines, Iowa, "October 2011 to present."

Read More www.gq.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
Reading the GQ article the guy only reenlisted to avoid prison. So if he does not want to go back to Afghanistan why not just break the rules and get kicked out before he ships? What a hero? He is a jackass if you ask me.

I think I'd choose prison over Afghanistan or Iraq. People are so quick to judge. You've never met the guy, you don't know his circumstances, you have no clue what happened that got him where he is so why make assumptions and call him a jackass? Yeah, you got a right to state your opinions whatever they may be.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Hes a felon who gets a sponged record to serve in the military then he trys to get kicked out of the military by break the rules. Hes gaming the system. They need to stop with this sponging crap and putting felons and gang banggers in the military. The wars are ending stop the sponging.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Ron Paul even introduced the guy as serving multiple tours overseas and the guy has only done one tour.

When GQ tried to reach Thorsen for a comment, an Army public affairs officer said, "His unit is discussing things with him and have asked him not to comment further on the event."

An hour later we received an official statement from the Army Reserve that says, "Cpl. Jesse Thorsen, an Army Reserve Soldier, stands alone in his opinions regarding his political affiliation and beliefs, and his statements and beliefs in no way reflect that of the Army Reserve."

The statement did confirm the following details about Thorsen:

- Cpl. Jesse D. Thorsen is, as stated in his interviews, 28 years of age.
- He is with a Engineer Company out of Des Moines, IA, and his unit falls
under the 416th Theater Engineer Command out of Darien, IL.
- His official MOS is 12N - Heavy Construction Worker, and is filling a
Combat Engineer slot (12B), but is not currently qualified for the Military Occupational Specialty.
- Cpl. Thorsen joined the military (Florida National Guard) on July 31, 2001, and joined the Army Reserve in 2009.
- He has deployed once in support of Operation Enduring Freedom in 2009.
- He was not in an active status during his participation in the Iowa caucus yesterday.

It looks like there are two new items here. Paul introduced Thorsen as a multi-tour veteran, but the Army says he only did one tour in Afghanistan. The statement also says that Thorsen "was not in an active status during his participation in the Iowa caucus." That was certainly not how Paul characterized him, and service records obtained today show him serving in the Army Reserve in Des Moines, Iowa, "October 2011 to present."

Read More www.gq.com...

I'll wait and see what the response is from the Ron Paul camp. I don't know how Paul came to the conclusions that he did, and I'm eager to find out. It could have been a misunderstanding, or maybe it wasn't. We will see.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Hes a felon who gets a sponged record to serve in the military then he trys to get kicked out of the military by break the rules. Hes gaming the system. They need to stop with this sponging crap and putting felons and gang banggers in the military. The wars are ending stop the sponging.

The wars are ending? That's news to me. I don't see them ending. They keep beating the war drums and preparing for Iran. From what I'm reading as far as what he did, it says he got probation for whatever it is he committed. He didn't get prison time, which means it was a somewhat minor offense. He did violate probation two times, and this is why he promised to re-enlist. Did I miss something? Are we all holy and without fault? We don't make mistakes?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

If he is active service than he is an idiot and deserves whatever he gets. It also makes Ron Paul look bad for having him talk at his rally...he eihter doesn't know the law or he does and didn't care because he thought it would make him look good.

Rules apply to everyone...yes...even Ron Paul supporters.

[snipped]

How does it make RP look bad? It only looks bad when the MSM and anti-Paul trolls put their spin on it. The man is passionate and believes strongly in Ron Paul’s foreign policy. He took a stand, made a statement for a belief…not for vanity!

Maybe people should think about who they pick as a hero or a victim.

You have got to be kidding me? Who the hell are you to judge someone because of a mistake they made when they were 21 years old? And who the hell cares if they got his time / amount of service accurate?
If he did one, two or five tours…what does it matter? I respect a man like this 10,000 times more than some cowardly troll who can copy / paste his arrest record on a forum!
You must either work for or have your brain plugged into CNN because you do a great job of putting a spin on things! …just like this…

CNN has reported that Cpl. Thorsen is “active duty,” but defense sources indicated that he apparently is not.

According to this, he is a reservist...

U.S. Army Reserve Major Angel Wallace confirmed that Cpl. Thorsen is not on active duty:

He is not active, he has been confirmed in reserve status as of this afternoon. We got that information, he was not in an active status as of yesterday when he did those interviews. He was in a reserve status all along and the last time he’s been on orders was back in October so he was in his traditional reserve status. There is a potential violation. It depends on your MOS because some MOS’s have a larger ability for upward promotion so on that you’d have to draw your own conclusion. He was with the National Guard prior to joining the national reserve. He works with an engineer unit. We have him in a currently combat engineer position, it would be groundwork level. We’re trying to give the command their time necessary to figure out how they want to manage the issue, giving them the time to have dialogue.
Source

I’m sure he knew exactly what he was doing and the problems he will now face because of his brave actions!
Just like Adam Kokesh, this man took a stand for what he believes in and will pay for his bravery.

MSM hates this story. The military industrial complex hates this story. The GOP, neo-cons and the war-mongering arm-chair generals hate this story.

Anti-Ron Paul Trolls hate this story!

God Bless Jesse Thorsen and God Bless Ron Paul!

edit on Thu Jan 5 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by maddog99

Well since you like this guy so much. Maybe you should tell him he owes $30.00 on his triple felony case.

STATE OF FLORIDA VS THORSEN, JESSE DANIEL

Defendant Name: Thorsen, Jesse Daniel
Date of Birth: 10/30/1983
Case Number: 04-CF-017346
Arrest Date: 12/10/2004
Appear by Date:
Case Assigned Judge: Reese, Thomas S
Uniform Case Number: 362004CF017346000ACH
Issuing Agency:
Offense Date: 12/10/2004
Citation Number:
Lead Attorney: Jean-Paul Galasso
Assessed Payment: $660.50
Amount Paid: $630.50
Balance Due: $30.00
Payment Plan: N/A

Upcoming Hearings: N/A

apps.leeclerk.org... - Felony

Seems the guy is a wanted man in Florida!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
This is absolute trash. But I suppose, if I was weak minded I would be influenced by him as well I guess.. poor little sheeple

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Let CNN whine and complain its just going to give the issue more coverage, which is what they don't want to happen. People will realize their being lied to and it's going to make the news sources look bad. More supporters for Ron Paul he knows what he's doing everybody relax.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieJesus

Yeah well the 1st Amendment supersedes a DoD internal Administrative memo. I could see if he was actively on a mission, but it is self apparent he was on leave. And the 1st Amendment doesn't leave any wiggle room what so ever.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Ah more anti Ron Paul eh?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by filosophia
...they are telling a soldier they are not allowed to wear their uniform in public?

No. The US military Code prohibits an active uniformed military from engaging in partisan political activity.
edit on 1/4/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

Actually, military members are encouraged to get involved.

They (we) just can't use rank., position, official email, while doing/attending such rallys.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
If you watch the video of Paul introducing the guy, he admits this guy is with the campaign for 3 years.
There is no excuse for Paul's campaign to not know their own people.
Ron Paul helped a felon, who is essentially an empoyee of his, commit a crime to avoid Service.
Disgusting.

Ron Paul should have to go sit in prison with him,

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
So, looking at all the blurb pasted here about military taking part in election campaigns etc, does that not then include all the elctioneering photo-ops made by politicians with their troop / military base visits? All those hollow "see how I support our brave uniformed sheep" moments, when the truth is they don't give a damn?

Seriously, looking at it from here across the pond, it gets even more laughable by the day that people can be distracted so easily from the real issues, and diverted to look at complete non-issues. Job done by the media and politicians I think. They succeed every time in getting the compliant sheep to be led around at will.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish614

www.google.com...

Yep.

It's officially a screw-a-round. They just can't handle things they have no power over.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Funny, CNN didn't seem to have a problem putting him in front of a camera to point out and talk about this "9/11 Never Forget" tattoo. That's fine.

But when he started talking about war in Iran being a needless endeavor, and supporting Israel being questionable... then OH, NOPE, Cut him off and don't go back to him. Technical difficulties. Now throw the book at him!!

Makes me vomit.

Sadly this is going to be another dividing scheme, but this is where most of us get to observe all the fascists come out of the woodwork. Look mommy, another fascist !
edit on 6-1-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Am I the only person who doesn't give two frags about military law?

I was always taught that the constitution is the supreme law of this country, above any and all... and the 1st enumerated right of this land is freedom of speech.

No time during this speech did this soldier imply that he represented the military, or any organization within...ohh wait bullet sponges don't get an opinion of thier own.

Of course the encumbant will waste NO opportunity to be filmed amongst uniformed troops during an election... without asking for those soldiers' permission, or opinions on the matter.
edit on 6-1-2012 by Shark_Feeder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
If you’re not loyal to CNN then you must be a terrorist. If you speak out against mainstream you might be a terrorist. As demonstrated by CNN you are not entitled to freedom of speech much less your opinions.
I hope one day if not already too late that Americans will wake up.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
Support the troops, they give us the freedom they themselves are not allowed to enjoy! Anyone else see something really wrong with this, they are telling a soldier they are not allowed to wear their uniform in public? Terrorists hate us for our freedoms.

I did not read anything like that supplied in this thread or on my own.
Can you please link me to something that says he is being told he cannot wear his uniform in public?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by sd211212
reply to post by Irish614

UHOH the war slave made a mistake and forgot that he is owned by the slave masters. I really hope this gets big attention and more "men" that serve this country come out in full uniform. This insanity has to stop!!

Since when are you a free individual in the military? I am guessing you have never been nor know anyone who has. Actually signing your ass away to the government is exactly how it starts and no one is trying to keep that secret. Joining the US military does actually mean you are giving up some freedoms. That is what comes with the CHOICE to join. That would be why instead of joining and then whining about what it is like, some just do not join.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join