It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN going after the soldier who supported Ron Paul

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I'm sure he is aware, you could tell when he was giving his speech how excited he was after placing 3rd in Iowa and not that far behind. I believe his intentions were good and just wanted the guy to finish what he had to say. I was watching CNN all night and more specifically when the feed cut out on him and knew as soon as it happened that ATS and any other forum would cry foul. It really did look like a satellite issue but who can tell for sure?
edit on 1/4/2012 by Irish614 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
From the OP:

Guidelines laid out in the federal Hatch Act specifically prohibit uniformed members of the military from making political speeches or taking official roles on political campaigns. Members of the military are permitted to attend political rallies, but must not be wearing their uniform while in attendance. On stage with Paul, Thorsen was wearing green Army fatigues.

Lie!

I am a member of the uniformed services. Am I covered by the Hatch Act? Answer: No. Members of the uniformed services are not covered by the Hatch Act. However, if you are a reservist and a federal civilian employee, you are covered by the Hatch Act.

Link

edit on 4-1-2012 by Digital_Reality because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
First they cut him off, then Paul let him speak... instead of going after Paul who enabled him to speak again, they go directly after him.

why doesn't cnn just let his commanders deal with him instead of making a war vet look bad?

Oh wait... now i get it... they want to go after him instead of giving Paul more positive publicity... because letting anyone exercise their right to free speech... in anyway/shape/form will re-enforce his message of liberty.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish614

We do not live in a country with free media anymore. They are all controlled pushing propaganda to the sheep that will listen.

The saddest part is it is worse then Nazi Germany because they at the very least had some idea what was going on. Why would Fox give out Christmas cards like that with sheep on them?

100 years from now they will look back and wonder how we could not see this for what it is. People either don't want to see because they agree with the agenda or are to stupid to see.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

Technically correct, but they are bound by DoD directive 1344.10, which is:

Although the Hatch Act applies to Department of Defense civil servants, as well as Department of Homeland Security civil servants in direct support of the United States Coast Guard, it does not apply to actively serving uniformed members of the U.S. armed forces. However, uniformed personnel are subject to Department of Defense Directive 1344.10 (DoDD 1344.10), Political Activities by Members of the Armed Forces, and the spirit and intent of this directive is effectively synonymous with the Hatch Act for Federal civil servants.

Hatch Act

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
CNN is FURIOUS that Paul brought him back to speak after their little "tech difficulty" flap.

Enraging these neo-cons is quite a bit of fun.

Going after the soldier doesn't hurt Paul's campaign and CNN knows theres a near unlimited amount of people that will take a hit for liberty and peace. They are just a little frustrated.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieJesus

Thanks for clearing that up. Wrong is wrong. As a soldier he should have known this then.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Paul was just doing what CNN wouldnt.

Exactly. It's that simple.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I dont know why people are reacting to this negatively. he didn't hurt anyone... he may have broken a military law... but i dont see why this upsets people.

what am i missing here?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Hmmmmmm...............
I am wondering if he might not get the full extent of the punishment just so they can make an example out of someone.
I also wonder what the Commander in Chief thinks about the situation with this soldier. Probably not too happy, could that play a part in how things unfold with this?
I support Paul and this soldier.
Hope I am wrong but afraid I am right.
edit on 4-1-2012 by Quadrivium because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

People really shouldnt be focused on the soldier and his uniform, you are right. They should be concerned over the fact that they are being fed BS daily by political trolls such as CNN.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by newyorkee

He could wear it anywhere he wants if he seperates from the military. While in, he has to follow the rules.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread793230/pg1#pid13151659]post by Benevolent Heretic

4.1.2.6. Participate in any radio, television, or other program or group discussion as an advocate for or against a partisan political party, candidate, or cause.

or cause

let me get this clear, you are against Ron Paul inviting him while in uniform to the podium
But you were ok with uniformed soldiers at Occupy Wallstreet events?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
So why did CNN approach him in the first place? I mean he was already in trouble before he went up on stage with Paul right? Because CNN had already stopped him and let him speak on camera in his uniform. Paul probably helped him out by putting a spotlight on it rather than him getting in trouble in secret for talking to CNN.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish614

If he is active service than he is an idiot and deserves whatever he gets. It also makes Ron Paul look bad for having him talk at his rally...he eihter doesn't know the law or he does and didn't care because he thought it would make him look good.

Rules apply to everyone...yes...even Ron Paul supporters.
edit on 4-1-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
So a war veteran who is dressed in uniform goes to vote, CNN asks his opinion on the election, he states his opinion, gets cut off, RP asks him to continue later...and the point is? He's wearing a uniform, wow, just wow...
american politics are confusing...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Maybe people should think about who they pick as a hero or a victim.

www.gq.com...

Florida's Lee County court records show Thorsen was arrested in December 2004 for burglary, grand theft of a firearm, and carrying a concealed weapon. He was sentenced in July 2005 to 30 months probation and 120 hours of community service. He broke his probation twice and was held in custody both times. But according to his lawyer, Jean-Paul Galasso, the fact that he received probation for serious-sounding felony charges suggests a less severe set of events. "Generally if someone's not going to prison for burglary of a dwelling there's real extenuating circumstances, like it's probably just a trespass or whatever." The court granted an early termination of his probation in March 2007 because, according to Galasso, Thorsen promised to reenlist. "That's what he had said to the judge, yes," Galasso says.

Thorsen kept his word, reenlisting two years later. In October 2011, he transferred from Arkansas to Army Reserve duty in Des Moines. Three months later, expecting to shortly ship out for a tour in Afghanistan, he met his presidential candidate on national television, and told us all to stop "nitpicking wars with other countries."

florida.arrests.org...

Charge 1
CHARGE: Prob Violation/burg Of A Dwell/ct Ii Grand Theft Of A Fire/ct.Iii Posses Of Bugl Iss 080906 Jd

florida.arrests.org...

Charge 1
STATUTE: BURG3000
CHARGE: BURGLARY OF A DWELLING
NOTES: HLD/36 VOP LEE CO
Charge 2
STATUTE: THEF2101
CHARGE: GRAND THEFT FIREARM
NOTES: HLD/36 VOP
Charge 3
STATUTE: BURG9000
CHARGE: POSSESSION OF BURGLARY TOOLS

edit on 4-1-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
Support the troops, they give us the freedom they themselves are not allowed to enjoy! Anyone else see something really wrong with this, they are telling a soldier they are not allowed to wear their uniform in public? Terrorists hate us for our freedoms.

the soldier wearing his uniform in public isn't the issue. (soldiers should wear their uniform with pride in public) it's the speaking his personal "opinion" which differs from the "military's" while representing the military (which includes it's policies that the soldier is enforcing) What if a soldier was spotted at a gay/lesbian rights parade/gathering and it got publicity. Would it be any worse? The military has policies on homosexuality and wearing a uniform representing his employer, and going against "policy" is where the real issue is. It's the uniform that let's you know that a person is present who is there to "enforce" the governments policy. Uniform just reinforces the employers policy to the public.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Reading the GQ article the guy only reenlisted to avoid prison. So if he does not want to go back to Afghanistan why not just break the rules and get kicked out before he ships? What a hero? He is a jackass if you ask me.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
Maybe people should think about who they pick as a hero or a victim.

www.gq.com...

Florida's Lee County court records show Thorsen was arrested in December 2004 for burglary, grand theft of a firearm, and carrying a concealed weapon. He was sentenced in July 2005 to 30 months probation and 120 hours of community service. He broke his probation twice and was held in custody both times. But according to his lawyer, Jean-Paul Galasso, the fact that he received probation for serious-sounding felony charges suggests a less severe set of events. "Generally if someone's not going to prison for burglary of a dwelling there's real extenuating circumstances, like it's probably just a trespass or whatever." The court granted an early termination of his probation in March 2007 because, according to Galasso, Thorsen promised to reenlist. "That's what he had said to the judge, yes," Galasso says.

Thorsen kept his word, reenlisting two years later. In October 2011, he transferred from Arkansas to Army Reserve duty in Des Moines. Three months later, expecting to shortly ship out for a tour in Afghanistan, he met his presidential candidate on national television, and told us all to stop "nitpicking wars with other countries."

florida.arrests.org...

Charge 1
CHARGE: Prob Violation/burg Of A Dwell/ct Ii Grand Theft Of A Fire/ct.Iii Posses Of Bugl Iss 080906 Jd

florida.arrests.org...

Charge 1
STATUTE: BURG3000
CHARGE: BURGLARY OF A DWELLING
NOTES: HLD/36 VOP LEE CO
Charge 2
STATUTE: THEF2101
CHARGE: GRAND THEFT FIREARM
Charge 3
STATUTE: BURG9000
CHARGE: POSSESSION OF BURGLARY TOOLS

edit on 4-1-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

Jesus Christ,.... so now we're going to check the backgrounds of every person who's ever made a speech in favor of a political candidate, and judge the candidate based on the people who support him? I wonder who Manson or the BTK killer supported for president.

If wearing a military uniform while making a speech in favor of a candidate is against the law, the military will deal with him. Sounds like they're doing that as we speak. CNN decided to interview a uniformed soldier and asked him who he was supporting. He answered their question. He got cut off, didn't get to finish. Paul let him finish. The end.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join