It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California’s indoctrination of children reaches new lows

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
California’s social experimentation has always been a shining example of ignorance but they’ve reached new lows with this recent jewel of legislation.

A new law took effect January 1 requiring public schools to include the contributions of gays, lesbians, and transgendered individuals in its history lessons. That alone is proving unpopular with some. But the real issue is that the law also bans teaching material that reflects "adversely" on gays or religions.

That sounds nice.

However, in effect, what the law is actually doing is quashing free speech. After all, what does it mean for 9/11? Is the fact that the terrorists were radical Islamists off-limits in the classroom? Will the speech police clamp down on any teacher who dares discuss the role religion played in the attacks?

What about HIV? Is it now illegal to teach in health class that it spread quite notably in the gay community? After all, some people might think that that reflects adversely on gays.

So children in California are being taught a form of revisionist history that fits the social agenda of the far left. This is even more backwards than affirmative action, which amounts to nothing more than reverse discrimination. Now we are to rewrite history to inaccurately paint these people in the best possible light?? BS!!!

In addition to the free speech implications, the state is essentially codifying revisionist history. If certain groups don't look good, their history doesn't get taught, at least not in its full context. It'd be like glossing over the attack on Pearl Harbor for fear of offending Japanese-Americans, or leaving out portions of the Civil War because it might make Southerners look bad.

It's the epitome of intellectual dishonesty, yet it's now the law of the land in the nation's most populous state. And it's more than political correctness run amok -- it's dangerous.

We used to criticize other countries for doing this sort of thing -- Japan for downplaying the Rape of Nanking, Turkey for denying the Armenian genocide, textbooks in the Arab world for their portrayal of Israel -- yet here we are, doing it in the U.S.
link

This is just one more example of how twisted the left in America are. This should alarm anyone who has children…

Where is the outrage from parents in CA? Are residents of that state so deluded that this seems like the proper thing to do? What other history should we re-write so as not to hurt anyone's feelings??
edit on 4-1-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This has always been happening, now they're just admitting it.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Some of the rednecks are just going to have to learn there are gay people in this world and they are part of American history. Oh this person did something important but we can't talk about him because he's gay. Now who is squashing free speech?

+18 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Some of the rednecks are just going to have to learn there are gay people in this world and they are part of American history. Oh this person did something important but we can't talk about him because he's gay. Now who is squashing free speech?

Why do our children need to know that specific person was gay? Who gives a sh#t about the historical figures sexual orientation? What is so inadequate about discussing and teaching the students about the contributions and accomplishments of the historical figure, that we need to include what sex that person likes to sleep with?
edit on 4-1-2012 by DrChuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Some people with an agenda (like you) should learn to read the article before commenting and looking ridiculous.

This new law in California is an attempt to re-write history.

History is History – you can’t re-write it or change the way you report it just to cast certain groups in a more favorable light. There is a word for that….it’s called DISHONESTY.

What are we teaching our kids when we tell them it's more important to make people feel good than to seek knowledge? No one group is composed entirely of saints. History is full of horrible behavior on everyone's part. To ban teaching anything that reflects "adversely" on a group of people is nothing more than whitewashing history.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrChuck

Why do our children need to know that specific person was gay? Who gives a sh#t about the historical figures sexual orientation? What is so inadequate about discussing and teaching the students about the contributions and accomplishments of the historical figure, that we need to include what sex that person likes to sleep with?

I quite agree with this.

Why does someone's sexuality, a completely manufactured concept, come into play when talking about historical people?

How about we stop dividing people into straight/gay, and simply acknowledge that both humans and animals screw who they want to screw? That's all there is to it.
edit on 4-1-2012 by Whipfather because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

TWISTER:
The gays are all the same. (insert arrogant self entitlement voice here) "If you disagree with our lifestyle and would not want your children to turn out that way then you must be a "redneck" or "homophobe"
I am not gay nor do I condone gayism, however it is a free country to choose your own lifestyle. I, and the rest of the majority population just prefer it not to be advertised like it is perfectly normal. Go ahead with the attacks on me for having an honest opinion.
Male/Female=natures most prolific intended reproduction scheme, anything/anyone that is deviated/alternated would be considered the same clinically speaking.
I am not judging anyone or I am not accepting any challenges.
Now let's play twister to see how my words get twisted into an interpenetration that means war for some homosexuals out there.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrChuck

Dr. Chuck in th hooouuse! any and all post on this thread have to go through the doc after that great answer.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

History is History – you can’t re-write it or change the way you report it just to cast certain groups in a more favorable light. There is a word for that….it’s called DISHONESTY.

Oh you make me laugh, and cry at the same time. History is always rewritten and hardly ever objective.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Star for you!

Allow me to rephrase that - You can’t re-write it or change the way you report it just to cast certain groups in a more favorable light without being called out for it. There is a word for re-writing history to further your agenda….it’s called DISHONESTY. 

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

LOL
california will soon be going the way of atlantis
that'll fix your problem

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

It's not my problem...I live in Texas (you know, the state that's created more jobs than the rest of the country).

We couldn't be so lucky that CA would fall off the planet. With our luck they would float out 10 miles and we'd be funding their reconstruction for the next 20 years with our tax dollars.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

The government has ALWAYS revised history.

So why bitch about it now?

Get real.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Welcome to UN Resolution 16 / 18

edit on 4-1-2012 by Daedal because: Added source

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Is there an echo in here??

I just addressed your concerns about two posts up!

Do you read the threads or just chime in based on the OP? We're on page 1.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I thought Texas controlled the content in the school books. I just looked this up today:

www.nea.org...

California isn’t taking any chances. A bill recently introduced in the state legislature seeks to prevent Texas-approved changes from seeping into textbooks in the Golden State.

Even if their reach is limited to Texas, will the new standards capsize social studies classrooms across the Lone Star state? Probably not, says Kirk White, a middle school social studies teacher in Austin.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal
reply to post by seabag

I hadn't seen that yet! Thanks!

Howver, the UN is a friggen joke. When they appoint nations like Iran to the Commission on the Status of Women (and many other ridiculous appointments) they lose all credibility. Iran stones women to death for adultery. Seriously????

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel
I thought Texas controlled the content in the school books. I just looked this up today:

www.nea.org...

California isn’t taking any chances. A bill recently introduced in the state legislature seeks to prevent Texas-approved changes from seeping into textbooks in the Golden State.

Even if their reach is limited to Texas, will the new standards capsize social studies classrooms across the Lone Star state? Probably not, says Kirk White, a middle school social studies teacher in Austin.

Well of course CA wouldn't want that in their text books. That would be conservative and moral, everything CA is against.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Originally posted by Daedal
reply to post by seabag

I hadn't seen that yet! Thanks!

Howver, the UN is a friggen joke. When they appoint nations like Iran to the Commission on the Status of Women (and many other ridiculous appointments) they lose all credibility. Iran stones women to death for adultery. Seriously????

Amen on the UN. Sometimes, I wonder if the UN delegates get together once a quarter, pop a drop of acid and watch "Star Wars - The Clone Wars" movie and imagine how they will rule the world.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I hate to burst your radical Right wing bubble there, but I think you'll find that a lot of those on the left will entirely disagree with this also. Have you done any polling to see what the political leanings of all those who agree or disagree with this are? No, I'm guessing not.

Why are so many Americans so simplistic? Why is EVERYTHING in the USA a left/right issue? There are people with common sense in America and not everyone who thinks gay equality is a good idea supports something that would be akin to rewriting history!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join