It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would you become a Mason?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I was talking to an 'Ex-Mason' today and he was talking to me a bit about Masonry but he said when he was a party of it, he swore secrecy and not to tell anyone.
He told me a few things, like you have to be recommended by another member or have family in it.
He also showed me some stuff that they do to inform others that they are Masons.

But what is a Mason:
- What do you have to be/do to become one?
- Is it true that they worship the devil?
- What are their main beliefs?

I was also asking the 'Ex-Mason' about how I would become one, and when he said you have to be recommended he said he couldn't invite me because he has left.
So I want to know, if you don't know any Masons, and people aren't allowed to tell you they are one: How would you find some to be referred to join?

Finally, what are they trying to achieve?
Why don't they just make themselves public like other societies, what are they trying to hide?
And what is their main mission as a group, what are they trying to achieve?

edit on 4-1-2012 by jNormal because: more info

edit on 4-1-2012 by jNormal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jNormal

But what is a Mason:

To be one, Ask one

mastermason.com...

No.

Have a belief in one God. Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth.

So I want to know, if you don't know any Masons, and people aren't allowed to tell you they are one: How would you find some to be referred to join?

Go to a local Lodge. They are pretty easy to find and see #1.
edit on 4-1-2012 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jNormal

You do have to be recommended in the sense that when you say you want to join you will be "investigated" by members of the lodge, and they pass a favorable or unfavorable opinion to the lodge as a whole, who then vote on your membership. You also have to have signers on your petition who are Masons, but you don't have to know them prior to asking to join.

Other than that it's an open door policy.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Becoming a member of our Fraternity is not a difficult task ...

If you look around you, you very well may discover that you are already in the company of Masons ... look closely for bumper stickers or medallions with the "Square and Compass" insignia - look for rings, tie tacks and/or lapel pins with the insignia ... and if you find one amongst your acquaintances, make inquiry with him about joining "the Craft" ...

Source
edit on Wed Jan 4 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: --Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Where do you find these Lodges?
And I just answered the Qs on the MasterMason page and disagreed with all of them, haha

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I was talking to an 'Ex-Mason' today and he was talking to me a bit about Masonry but he said when he was a party of it, he swore secrecy and not to tell anyone.
He told me a few things, like you have to be recommended by another member or have family in it.
He also showed me some stuff that they do to inform others that they are Masons.

But what is a Mason:

I was also asking the 'Ex-Mason' about how I would become one, and when he said you have to be recommended he said he couldn't invite me because he has left.

If that was what your friend told you, he was no ex-Mason.

We are very happy and very proud to tell anyone that asks as much as we can about the Freemasons.

No, you don't worship the devil. You have to believe in a higher being, but at no point do you even have to express which religion you belong to.

The main beliefs in Freemasonry is to "Make good men better". You get out of Masonry what you put into it, and by no means do I mean how much you donate every month. I mean out of the time you spend with like-minded Brothers helping your community, your family, and yourself to all become better.

And if you really want to look into it, you can always find a local Lodge and talk to someone.

Remember: To Be One, Ask One.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

Okay, it seems very similar to Buddhism from what you told me.
Apart from the bit where you can follow any religion.

Also, is there a difference between a Mason and a Freemason?
Can I also ask, what are the differences between the Illuminati and the Freemasons?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jNormal

I am a woman. My grandfather was a Mason, but he can't refer because he's dead me so how would I become a Mason ? Is there a female version of the Masons ?
edit on 4-1-2012 by skepticconwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

reply to post by GAOTU789

Where do you find these Lodges?
And I just answered the Qs on the MasterMason page and disagreed with all of them, haha

I am not a mason, although often invited, also to other like Rosicrucians and such.
I found this one on the MasterMason page:
Are you willing to allow others the same right to their own beliefs that you insist on yourself?
Masonry insists on toleration - on the right of each person to think for himself in religious, social and political matters.

If that is a difficult on for you, please tell me, what are you doing on ATS?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Freemasonry is basically the "thinking" form of masonry that evolved from the original "working" masonry guilds.

I believe every Lodge governed by the Grand Lodge are dubbed Freemasons.

Now there are "Ancient Free and Accepted Masons" and "Free and Accepted Masons", but that is a whole-another conversation and more of... ancient history so to speak.

*Edit for extra response without having to post a new reply*

"I am a woman. My grandfather was a Mason, but he can't refer because he's dead me so how would I become a Mason?"

In all honesty, you can not. BUT, although women can not join the Freemasons, there are other, related, groups that might be open to you depending on their by-laws.

You might want to investigate The Order Of The Eastern Star, or Job's Daughters.
edit on 4-1-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

It's actually only 1 I disagree with.
Which is the believing in God one, I'm not sure whether I do.
I think I do believe in a God, just don't pray to it, nor am I religious.

Other than that I fill the criteria
haha

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

reply to post by Pokoia

Not literally all of them.
Like the ones about believing in a God, I don't.
The one about leaving the World in a better place, I don't make an effort to...

all of them : means all of them
Trying to improve the world is nothing to be ashamed of.

Some of my life long friends are free masons.
One in particular is a 33 degree mason.
He is not in the habit of eating kids or worshipping the devil.
He is a fine guy, with a god job, that very often helps people out.

I just did not want to join because I hate rules.
I like to follow my own path.
Despite me turning down their offers over and over, we still like each other.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
If you want to become a mason then ask, three times, and you will be invited to attend. Membership is something you then proceed to acquire from there. In recent years membership of the masons has dwindled, and they are looking for new blood. That said if you go in with an odd attitude about exposing the mysteries of the universe, aliens devil worship, or whatever, then you might not be the sort of candidate for which they are seeking.

If you go with an open mind, a charitable spirit, and are on the straight and level you just might be invited to join.

One warning though, it's not cheap, there is a lot of drinking, and that's about it. It's a nice place to go with like minded people, do a little charity work, and have a drink. It might not be all you think it is, apart from when the alien appears and the sex starts, ooops, erm not meant to reveal that part...you never read that!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I am not a mason, but from what I understand many lodges in the order have been experiencing a slow death at least in the states for decades.

Regardless of what is purported online or by popular media, the Masons are not the keepers of the keys holding the mysteries of the universe. They are simply a society of conscientious, pseudo religious men who enjoy a long line of affluent membership and lately a good deal of negative publicity originating from internet conspiracies.

Most days lodge meetings are comprised of much older gentlemen who discuss various philosophies and organize community services over doughnuts, coffee, and poker cards. That's about it. They do have a metaphysical underpinning and they do discuss what could be considered ancient philosophies, religion, and different rites of the initiated.

Their history is long and mysterious and they have been traditionally a secret society. However, if you are seeking membership why not try visiting a local lodge and introducing yourself. They are thirsty enough for young members I am sure you would be well received.

I am at work so it took me like 30 minutes to make this reply, so sorry if I am rehashing what someone else already said.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rob37n
If you want to become a mason then ask, three times, and you will be invited to attend. Membership is something you then proceed to acquire from there. In recent years membership of the masons has dwindled, and they are looking for new blood. That said if you go in with an odd attitude about exposing the mysteries of the universe, aliens devil worship, or whatever, then you might not be the sort of candidate for which they are seeking.

If you go with an open mind, a charitable spirit, and are on the straight and level you just might be invited to join.

One warning though, it's not cheap, there is a lot of drinking, and that's about it. It's a nice place to go with like minded people, do a little charity work, and have a drink. It might not be all you think it is, apart from when the alien appears and the sex starts, ooops, erm not meant to reveal that part...you never read that!

Not sure what Masons you have met, but alcohol is not permitted at any Lodge I have attended in 5 states...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by clowdstalker

Regardless of what is purported online or by popular media, the Masons are not the keepers of the keys holding the mysteries of the universe. They are simply a society of conscientious, pseudo religious men who enjoy a long line of affluent membership and lately a good deal of negative publicity originating from internet conspiracies.

For most members this description fits, they are looking for friends and maybe some business contacts.
There is real knowledge to be found in some members.

I found more profound knowledge with members of diverse Rosicrucian orders.
Most of it was focussed around Egyptian mythology and that is not my thing.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

I read somewhere that only certain groups of the Masons ban alcohol

Can someone also explain all of the degrees stuff?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Just walk in and ask. They send a couple of guys to hang out with you and talk to your friends and family to make sure you arent a lunatic or a ##SNIPPED##

It's all too much work for what it is. Meetings and appearances and charity things and on and on and on.

Dont bother unless you're retired or you're really hurt up for something to occupy your time.

It's cool to have "brothers" and little social events to attend I guess but I barely have time to do what I need to do let alone what I'd like to do. One more time-sink is just not needed or wanted.

Nothing magic or mystical about it. Just a bunch of geriatrics who get together for bean suppers and to talk about their grandkids. My work has taken me to lodges all over the northeast for weeks on end and that's all it is.

They're all nice enough folks and do good things with their events and charities. NWO warlocks they are not.

A lot like the Rotary.
edit on 4-1-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Just walk in and ask. They send a couple of guys to hang out with you and talk to your friends and family to make sure you arent a lunatic or a SNIPPED.

It's all too much work for what it is. Meetings and appearances and charity things and on and on and on.

Dont bother unless you're retired or you're really hurt up for something to occupy your time.

It's cool to have "brothers" and little social events to attend I guess but I barely have time to do what I need to do let alone what I'd like to do. One more time-sink is just not needed or wanted.

Nothing magic or mystical about it. Just a bunch of geriatrics who get together for bean suppers and to talk about their grandkids. My work has taken me to lodges all over the northeast for weeks on end and that's all it is.

They're all nice enough folks and do good things with their events and charities. NWO warlocks they are not.

Okay, thanks for your help

edit on Wed Jan 4 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreLiedTo

Not sure what Masons you have met, but alcohol is not permitted at any Lodge I have attended in 5 states...

Sure it is. Up here at least. Only for certain meetings though and moderation is hammered repeatedly. If they think you're intoxicated you could lose your membership as it is of poor character or something like that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join