It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you heard of this book - The Urantia Book?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I would like to introduce you to the Urantia Book. It has been discussed on this site in the past, but not very much. It’s a book unlike any other and was given to the races of Earth (Urantia) as a gift. It harmonizes Science, Philosophy and Religion and to put it another way Truth, Beauty and Goodness. It shows that these diverse areas are inter-related. It also shows how God manages the entire Universe as life (both material and spiritual) is teeming throughout the Universe and how he can know inner life of the individual. The story of it’s origin is also most interesting as well and if anyone is interested I can relate that story later.

I believe many people are turned off by the book due to it’s size as it is nearly 2100 pages. An audio book version is available for free online though. It is split into 4 parts , but the book is intended to be read from start to finish as concepts are built up through the papers. The book starts out talking about God and his divine coordinates and works it way through the Universe and it’s organization to our planet and history and ends with Jesus’ life and teachings.

Another factor that turns people off is usually one of two things. One, if a person is a member of another religion it is generally frowned upon to seek knowledge outside their authorized book. Two, if a person has already made up their mind that religion or God in general is not worth their time they would generally not be interested in reading something about God. I’m hoping to get people from those 2 categories to give it another thought.

I would like to start with the non-religious person. I’m sure that there are diverse reasons why someone would come to this conclusion. For a good portion of my life I kind of was in this category. I was made to go to a Christian Church as a child and quickly realized that many things taught to me did not add up or make sense. Once I got older I no longer attended Church with my Mom. Although I did still have a feeling that God existed, but I wasn’t sure I fully believed in the Christian God.

To make a long story short, I read about many different beliefs and none seem to make sense until I was introduced to the Urantia Book. I was very, very skeptical going into it. A guy I worked with introduced me to it and I thumbed through it for a couple weeks, saw some things that interested me and then checked it out from my local library. After that I bought a copy. This was at the dawn of the Internet and after some searching I found a Folio version that I began to read and search through. Shortly after that they (Urantia Foundation) released an audio book version and that has been my favorite way to study as I can listen while driving to and from work.

All of the questions I had I found answers for that Christianity could not or would not answer. After jumping around for a while I began from the beginning and was blown away by it. It made sense to me, though I will admit that early on there were many words I had to look up the meanings for and struggled with pronunciation, but the audio book helped with that.

I believe if someone gave it an honest attempt it could change their life as it did mine. One thing to mention is the book was written in 1934 -35, but was first published in 1955. There is science in the book that is out dated, but the book explains why this was done. While explaining certain things, unearned knowledge can not be given. Even if they know that the science will change in the near future. Many critics hang their hats on this. If one little part is wrong, then the whole thing must be wrong. Another thing to mention is that more that was considered “wrong” in 1955 that is in the book has since been proven correct in recent times than what was considered “right” in 1955 and has been proven wrong.

The wisdom and insight that is displayed in the book is without comparison. I have found nothing that is even close to it. One interesting thing is that it dates humans back nearly 1 Million years, states that the first humans were not from Africa and have a very plausible explanation for the different colors/races (some of which no longer exist). Most importantly it describes God in a way that is much more believable and the same goes for Jesus. His life and teachings comprise the 4th part of the book and is quite different than the Bible. The Bible has maybe, 2 months worth of his life documented. The Urantia Book has his entire life. It goes through his childhood fairly quick, but pretty much talks about his life from a teenager on. He was a much greater man than even the Bible says.

Now for the religious person, most of which will probably be some flavor of Christianity or Judaism. It is feverishly taught to not seek knowledge outside the Bible or scared book. I believe this has wrongly put fear in the hearts of people who honestly want to seek deeper truth. They are told the Devil is making you do this, to have faith and all those sort of things. Tell me, what could be wrong with a book that glorifies God if you already believe in God?

Now there is one huge obstacle that Christians must get past and that is the Atonement Doctrine. That Jesus’ death was meant to atone for racial guilt of man and was meant to be the last sacrifice. That his death appeased an otherwise angry God is inconsistent with the teachings of Jesus. This is not what Jesus taught and lived. The common people would hardly have followed someone teaching that. The common people accepted his teachings because they were simple and ennobling, have faith that you are a son of the living God and you will have eternal life. The Jewish rulers hated him because of this simple message. Also because it ultimately affected their pocket books and social status.

You will be blown away by some of the speeches Jesus gave. They are very profound and his style of teaching is very unique. His wisdom and logic go beyond anything I’ve ever read. It was very refreshing to read.

Here are a couple websites where you can either read or listen to the book for free. I would also like to mention that it has been published in 15 different languages.

(www.urantia.org...)

(www.truthbook.com...)

edit on 4-1-2012 by UB2120 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Thanks for bringing this into the forum and for the time you took on the overview.

This book is, and has been, on my night table for over a month. I know very little about it other than what was told to me by the close friend who gave it to me. I believe he gets daily quotes from the book sent to his email, and he sometimes forwards those to me.

I have several books going and others in the hopper. Despite being a bit intimidated by its size, I do intend to get into it this year.

I was also raised Christian, studied other cultures and beliefs and was kind of left in a dogma-less spirituality.

I remain a fan of Jesus, but not the one "they" teach. I am more on the Gnostic side these days.

Would you say this book more aligns with the Gnostic teachings?

Thanks again
edit on 4-1-2012 by capod2t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Yep, sure have, and in fact recommended it (not for the first time) to another member just a day or two ago.

It's fabulous...
how serendipitous that you two, too, are aware.

To me, regardless of it's "sources", the Urantia Book is the ONE Western Culture "scripture" that makes sense to me.

I highly recommend it to ANYONE searching for the Divine Truth of our existence.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
--wt

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by capod2t

Not to be an interrupter, but yes, it is VERY MUCH in line with Gnostic teachings -- the ORIGINAL Jesus teachings.
Enjoy!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

That was an "inturruption" much appreciated!

Looks like I'll be getting into it sooner than I expected.

Thank you...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by capod2t
Thanks for bringing this into the forum and for the time you took on the overview.

This book is, and has been, on my night table for over a month. I know very little about it other than what was told to me by the close friend who gave it to me. I believe he gets daily quotes from the book sent to his email, and he sometimes forwards those to me.

I have several books going and others in the hopper. Despite being a bit intimidated by its size, I do intend to get into it this year.

I was also raised Christian, studied other cultures and beliefs and was kind of left in a dogma-less spirituality.

I remain a fan of Jesus, but not the one "they" teach. I am more on the Gnostic side these days.

Thanks again
edit on 4-1-2012 by capod2t because: (no reason given)

I am glad to hear that you are going to give it a try. The audio book should be something you look into as well. There are at least 3 different versions that I know of and it is good to follow along in the book while listening. I think you will be blown away by it's teachings. I would say it leans more toward gnostic teachings, but it is different. It strives for unity, not uniformity. The way concepts are displayed it allows the reader to form their own conclusions. It teaches that God is no respecter of persons, he love us all the same. A deeper understanding of God helps us to love God more, but it does not change his love for us.

Feel free to private message me if you ever have questions.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

reply to post by wildtimes

That was an "inturruption" much appreciated!

Looks like I'll be getting into it sooner than I expected.

Thank you...

You are MORE than welcome!! I would love to discuss it. In fact, yesterday I was thinking of starting a new thread on it...I did a search, and didn't see anything new, but perhaps the fact that it's been brought up in a few posts here and there recently in the forums will give it some momentum.

You will REALLY enjoy it, I'm confident, just based on your avatar, mood, and open-mindedness!!

--WT

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
Yep, sure have, and in fact recommended it (not for the first time) to another member just a day or two ago.

It's fabulous...
how serendipitous that you two, too, are aware.

To me, regardless of it's "sources", the Urantia Book is the ONE Western Culture "scripture" that makes sense to me.

I highly recommend it to ANYONE searching for the Divine Truth of our existence.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
--wt

Happy new year to you as well. I totally agree that is it the one western culture scripture, but I fully believe that it can benifit all peoples. Now that there are so many translations I really hope it takes off in these other cultures.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
What a refreshing thread. Wish more ATSers and threads were like this!!

I should hang out in these types of forums only, lest I get yanked back into my ego body and engage in bully dialogue (wish I could say that has never happened to me!)

Thanks to you both and, if a Urantia forum is started, I will be there.

Blessings

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I've always found it interesting, in a purely academic way. The length doesn't turn me off as much as the source. I just can't buy the "channeled" info. Not from this, or Ramtha, or Blossom Goodchild, Edgar Cayce, the RA materials, the Council of Nine, or any such source. There are many.

If it works for you, that's great. For me, there's insufficient authority for it.

I remember how disappointed I was after seeing "What the ~Bleep~ Do We Know?" and finding out that J Z Knight was behind it. Just enough science in that case, wound up with New Age hooey to make it all sound plausible. She's either a scammer, or her cookies are not fully baked.

Still, the Urantia book would be a much better use of time than reality TV or something. It's most definitely worth a look, but I'd recommend reading with the skeptic antenna set at full gain.

[To add]

Just as a suggestion, if you can still edit the title, I'd include 'Urantia Book' or something in there, to make it findable via search. If you can't, maybe a request sent to the staff for edit. If this turns into The Thread for Urantia material, it would be a shame to make it difficult to find.

edit on 1/4/12 by MrDesolate because: Adding suggestion to edit title

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

What a refreshing thread. Wish more ATSers and threads were like this!!

I should hang out in these types of forums only, lest I get yanked back into my ego body and engage in bully dialogue (wish I could say that has never happened to me!)

Thanks to you both and, if a Urantia forum is started, I will be there.

Blessings

Here are a couple forums for you to check out:

forums.truthbook.com...

www.urantia-uai.org...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
For those interested in a summarized what-it-is, here is the link to the wikipedia page on The Urantia Book:

Comparison to other world religions

Facets of other world religions are incorporated in the book, including from Islam, Taoism, Judaism, Hinduism, Shinto, and Confucianism. For example, Paper 131, "The World's Religions", discusses in more depth those aspects of different religions that have commonalities with what the book claims is the "religion of Jesus". There are also numerous other references to the world's major religions throughout Part III, "The History of Urantia", beginning with Paper 86, "Early Evolution of Religion". [color=17EB49]The perspective of The Urantia Book is that all religions should be studied to take "the best" from each.

I read this book first some 30 years ago. It stuck with me ever after, and sometimes when I see it discussed or brought up, and go back and look at the online info on it, I am made aware again that it probably had a LOT to do with my adult approach to faith, religion, and theology.

I didn't memorize it, I didn't even read every word, I don't think. But the message was LOUD AND CLEAR, and like the OP says, it CAN change your life. It DOES answer all the questions that a young person brought up as a Christian naturally questions. It is uplifting, full of hope, and really an amazing read.

--wt
edit on 4-1-2012 by wildtimes because: formatting

edit on 4-1-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MrDesolate

ALL religious works should be read with a skeptic head. That's one of their points. They don't claim it's the ONLY WAY. They encourage people to seek, to ask questions, and find what works for them...from studying ALL of the religions.

basically, to have faith in the path that you are following, and not be intimidated by people yoo-hooing from other paths that you are hopelessly lost.

I think it might be especially powerful for those MYRAID Christians who feel they don't have permission to look around or to ask questions, as a HEALING tool. It gives you not only permission, but a sack lunch to take with you!!

---wt

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MrDesolate

I've always found it interesting, in a purely academic way. The length doesn't turn me off as much as the source. I just can't buy the "channeled" info. Not from this, or Ramtha, or Blossom Goodchild, Edgar Cayce, the RA materials, the Council of Nine, or any such source. There are many.

If it works for you, that's great. For me, there's insufficient authority for it.

But see, that's the point!
There is not ONE "Holy book" that has sufficient authority to be taken literally and completely as the Truth.

And remember, many, many of the Christian bible-spouters on this forum believe in the "channelings" of others -- in particular this Maria Divine Mercy whoever that is all the new thing here..

The floundering Christians take her to heart...so they would, by implication, ALSO be willing to listen to other "channelers"..right??

Clever of the authors, in my opinion. You must know HOW to reach the target audience. If they want mysterious channeled messages, give them mysterious channeled messages! That's what the Catholic and other Christian sects, even Judaism, have done since their inception!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrDesolate

I remember how disappointed I was after seeing "What the ~Bleep~ Do We Know?" and finding out that J Z Knight was behind it. Just enough science in that case, wound up with New Age hooey to make it all sound plausible. She's either a scammer, or her cookies are not fully baked.

Still, the Urantia book would be a much better use of time than reality TV or something. It's most definitely worth a look, but I'd recommend reading with the skeptic antenna set at full gain.

The circumstances surounding the creation of the book is unlike any other. A contact personality was used, but self gain was not a motive and this person had little interest in the information. It is known that he was some type of business man and feared it would jeopordize his professional career. It also took nearly 20 years to convince the doctor treating this patient that what he was witnessing was something very unique.

It is widely believed that it was not published until 1955 because they were waiting for the individual to die. They did not want human authorship to be associated with the book. The books authority comes from it teachings. It should be judged by it's teachings.

I do understand that our society has been programmed to only accept things from authority, that only they know the truth and it is hard to break from that. Even in the Bible, the prophets were usually killed because they taught without authority.
edit on 4-1-2012 by UB2120 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrDesolate

[To add]

Just as a suggestion, if you can still edit the title, I'd include 'Urantia Book' or something in there, to make it findable via search. If you can't, maybe a request sent to the staff for edit. If this turns into The Thread for Urantia material, it would be a shame to make it difficult to find.

edit on 1/4/12 by MrDesolate because: Adding suggestion to edit title

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think you can edit the title. I initially thought that if I mentioned it people would be turned away.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by UB2120

I initially thought that if I mentioned it people would be turned away.

I know exactly what you mean. They are knee-jerkers, and if it doesn't say "Jesus" and "Bible" they won't even look.

When I considered starting one on it myself, I had the very same thought....if I put the name of it in the title, NO ONE will look at it. It is most likely "heresy" to the very people it could most help.

I think that if every Christian, from EVERY denomination (including those who think Catholics are not Christian and that all Christian "organized" sects are full of it) had it as a "mandatory read", they would be able to reconcile their beliefs with their inner sense of the peace that they strive so hard for.

But ESPECIALLY the Catholics, for whom I have a big, scary question.

If you are over the age of 18, and a Catholic, WHY does it frighten you so much to look at other religious doctrines or literature UNLESS THEY ARE APPROVED by the Church?

That smacks of the mindset of kids whose parents are so controlling that you are scared #less to even CONSIDER reading something that's not on the "approved by mom and dad" list.

Even the movies have a rating system. That's fine.
Perhaps the Catholic church should go to a ratings system for literature, instead of just thundering from the pulpit that YOU WILL NOT READ THAT AND IF YOU DO YOU WILL BURN IN HELL!

Just sayin'...
you're adults. Or at least old enough to be online (and if you're afraid of the Church excommunicating you or the fires of hell for reading something, then, well, I don't know what to tell you). In fact, I think that EVERY young adult who has been indoctrinated from childhood into ANY Christian denomination or private Biblical "home-schooling" should read this book.

It allows you to be a Christian. It is based on the teachings of Jesus. It is just not "approved" by the pope.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I am on the fence with the Urantia Book.

While I do believe that there is much to be gained from the text, it's origins are questionable.

I have an old friend who has read and studied the entire thing for the last ten or so years and he was the one that introduced me to it. I wish he was a member here, he would have a lot to contribute to this thread.

edit on 4-1-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=dodgerblue]I am on the fence with the Urantia Book.

While I do believe that there is much to be gained from the text, it's origins are questionable.

I have an old friend who has read and studied the entire thing for the last ten or so years and he was the one that introduced me to it. I wish he was a member here, he would have a lot to contribute to this thread.

edit on 4-1-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

Again, I believe the book should stand on it's teachings and not necessarily it's origins. The true origins of the Bible are just as questionable IMO. Ever hear of the Geneva Bible? It preceeded the King James Bible by 50+ years. Why were so many "books" of that Bible left out of the King James? I would have less issues with the Bible in general if ALL the different chapters were available. The guys at the Council of Nicea decided what we should all read.

I know an older gentelman that started reading the Urantia Book as fiction, but has he progressed it started to believe. The message in the book is empowering and liberating. I highly suggest that you give it a try.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by UB2120
I do understand that our society has been programmed to only accept things from authority, that only they know the truth and it is hard to break from that.

Well I certainly hope so.

Experience
Reason
Authority

If there's any way to determine truth or accuracy other than one of those 3 ways, I have yet to see it.

If I didn't experience it, and I can't reason my way to it, then the only other way I have to determine veracity is by trusting the authority of the originator of the material.

Now we all self determine what we'll consider to be "authority", and that's frequently a moving target. We'll change our position on that over the course of our lives, if we're paying attention. And of course, the "authority" for any particular situation may be different depending upon the topic and the importance we personally assign to it.

In this case, it isn't my experience, and I personally can't get there by reason. The authority is anonymous and apparently a channeler. Now that doesn't invalidate the value of the material, but it certainly affects the weight I can assign to it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join