It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists grow mouse sperm in laboratory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Good news for infertile men: infertility treatment for men may soon become a reality

Much research has been devoted to infertility treatments in women but the scientists are hopeful this study could pave the way for more treatments for infertile men. Rather than having to use donor sperm, with this technique, scientists could conceivably use a man's cells with some testicular tissue to make sperm.

Using germ cells ( the type of cells that reproduce) from mice, a team of scientists from Muenster University in Germany grew sperm by using the jelly in a Petri dish to create an environment similar to the one found in testicles. A closer look confirmed the sperm was healthy, and structurally the same as normal mouse sperm.

The next step for this new wave of research? To try the technique with human germ cells to create human sperm.

I am unsure how I feel about fertility treatments, especially ones that result in more than 2 babies, "playing God", messing with mother nature etc., but I find it very interesting in the lines of science.

www.cbsnews.com...
edit on 4-1-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Can we get a link to the source, please? Thanks

On the news itself, well, I agree with the poster below me. I don't know what effects this could have, and it should take years to find that out so I don't know if it would be advisable to try this type of treatment until we know for sure that it's not harmful for the children.
edit on 4-1-2012 by Casandra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Yea i would never bring a child into the world that way, i mean who's to say what kind of adverse effects their could be down the road.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
my apologies www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
It does make you wonder, the process they will go through to test on humans?

Would they take somebody's left-over frozen embryos and mix them in a perti dish just to watch the beginning stages? Then destroy the embryos?(same as abortion if you ask me... which I am completely against)
After how long?

Or, if everything appeared fine, implant the embryos into a willing subject?

Leaves alot of questions for me.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

And what if the effects aren't noticeable until a certain age? Say, you watch closely a child born via this method for 10 years, everything is fine, completely healthy, etc. So they decide to make it available for everyone (who can afford it, of course) and then the first child gets sick at age 15 or 20 or 35, what then? To make sure there are no harmful effects they'd have to watch him until he passes away, wouldn't they?

What if the original child is healthy but his children are born ill? It raises too many questions for me.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Wonderful thread, very interresting. On the same note, a chinese biologist found a way to do the same for female eggs : www.abovetopsecret.com...

S+F

new topics

top topics

join