It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Category 5 Ivan to hit Caymans Sunday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Hurricane Ivan has made landfall in Jamaica and the death tool in the battered Carribean is up to 37. The Florida keys continue to evacuate as the hurricane is slated to hit on monday.

story.news.yahoo.com
KINGSTON, Jamaica - Waves two-stories high crashed on Jamaica's eastern shore Friday, flooding homes and washing away roads as Hurricane Ivan's ferocious winds and pounding rains began to lash the island and threatened a direct hit on its densely populated capital. The death toll elsewhere in the Caribbean rose to 37.
Jamaican Prime Minister P.J. Patterson declared a public emergency and pleaded with the half million people considered in danger � about one in five islanders � to get to shelters. Many residents, however, refused to leave, fearing their homes would be robbed if abandoned.

"I'm not saying I'm not afraid for my life but we've got to stay here and protect our things," said Lorna Brown, 49, pointing to a stove, television, cooking utensils and large bed crowded into a one-room concrete home on the beach at Montego Bay.

Cuba declared a hurricane watch across the entire island Friday after its leader, Fidel Castro (news - web sites), went on national television warning residents to brace themselves. "Whatever the hurricane does, we will all work together" to rebuild, he said.

In South Florida, long lines reappeared at gas stations and shoppers swarmed home building stores and supermarkets. Forecasters said Ivan could tear through the Keys as early as Monday though there was still a chance the storm would instead move out into the Gulf of Mexico.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Jeeze, when will Florida catch a break? The insurance CEO's must be having kittens right now. If the conspiraciy people are right, and the US can manuipulate weather with HAARP, why has it not knocked down the severity of the storms to protect the people and insurance companies?

UPDATE: Ivan has been bumped up to a Cat 5 which puts its wind speed at 165 Mph. Its is now reportedly heading for Cuba. God help those at Camp X-Ray in Gitmo.
story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20040911/ts_nm/weather_ivan_dc_67

Update #2 9/11 @ 2306 PST

At 8 p.m. EDT, the hurricane's winds were 165 mph and its well-defined eye was about 145 miles east-southeast of Grand Cayman, a popular offshore banking center where secrecy laws protect transactions. Hurricane-force winds extended 60 miles and tropical storm-force winds another 175 miles. The storm was moving west-northwest at about 9 mph and was expected to reach the Cayman Islands on Sunday.

/5ulgc

[edit on 9-12-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

[edit on 9-14-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I heard from a meteorologist (works at NOAA [ There's one right across the school, he came in and explained a lot of stuff]) that Florida has been lucky the past 20-30 years, as hurricanes use to be much more frequent and more devastating. I really don't care anymore, I'm tired of all these hurricanes and all the false calls and all the home department propaganda. JUST HIT US ALREADY!

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I was listening quite a while ago about focused positive thinking, the people talking on the radio show said it works. Maybe we should all focus on the hurricane and whip its a$$. Might work, won't hurt to try.

LL1

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Doesn't look good for them:

www.nnvl.noaa.gov...

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
To be honest I haven't read much on HAARP on here, but isn't it possible, provided it's real that they attempted it on Charley and it back fired, and they tried it on Frances and it worked?

Frances went from a CAT 5 down to a 2 after staling out between the Bahamas and FL.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Well, that's simply not something HAARP can do.

It's so funny, because all of these people see something they don't understand, and don't know the reasoning for, and immediately conclude it is a superpowerful master-governmental plan to destroy the world. Or take it over. It differs weekly.

HAARP generates electrical currents inside the ionosphere, that's above where Ozone and atmospheric Nitrogen and Hydrogen are found - and it's a hell of a long way above our weather systems. Weather occurs solely within the troposphere. That's a long way below what HAARP effects.

Besides that, it's completely senseless. Sending jolts of electricity into a cloud doesn't "make" weather or "control" it in any way. It might force a flash of lightning, because it could polarize the cloud's particles and they would need to neutralize, so the electric charge would be redistributed through the cloud. That doesn't control weather in the slightest though.

Long and short of it: It's just some bad-# weather going down. The United States of America does not have your dental records and over 150 urine samples from when you were age 8. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake, you aren't special and don't have access to some massive arcane knowledge.

It's called "scientific research", not "world domination" - and it's like that for a reason. A good one. That being that it is Scientific Research, and has nothing to do with the domination of the earth.

Sorry for the rant, I just really hate it when I hear people saying things like "Well some guy whose friend I know, he saw this site, where this guy had a link, that used to work, but the link didn't anymore, but it went to a page where someone had posted their confession, and they were like a top guy in HARRPP or something, and they were controlling the weather, and it actually really tied in with the NWO, and they were telling the truth because some other guy came and confirmed it." then when you say "You're a freaking retard." they say "You just can't accept the cold hard truth. You accept everything you hear and don't personally investigate for yourself. I feel for you man, I do." and you spend a moment or two debating pressing the rest of your life to invent the 'Interpunch' that allows you to literally reach across the internet from your desk, and punch someone squarely in the face. Yeah. Again, sorry.

I feel for the poor folks in Florida and the Western Central Atlantic Island Groupings. It's so sad that they've got this to put up with while trying to live. Mercy upon them.

[edit on 10-9-2004 by Viendin]

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
ALERT! Ivan Lashes Jamaica; Death Toll Hits 37

Holy #!

This hurricane season is unbelievable....It's got to be way too late for this thing to not hit us and go off track...We still have debris here in Tallahassee just laying on the sides of the roads...what the hell good is it going to do stacked up in a pile when Ivan's winds come swirling around here

[edit on 9/10/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun

Originally posted by FredT
ALERT! Ivan Lashes Jamaica; Death Toll Hits 37

Holy #!

This hurricane season is unbelievable....It's got to be way too late for this thing to not hit us and go off track...We still have debris here in Tallahassee just laying on the sides of the roads...what the hell good is it going to do stacked up in a pile when Ivan's winds come swirling around here

It will give Ivan something to pick up and turn into a high speed projectile.
But I get your point. It's like my kids say, Why should I clean my room... It's just going to get dirty again

I hop you guys in FLA will be spared this one. I would love to see it swing west towards TX. Maybe we could get some rain out of it if it did that.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
From What I have seen in the last few frames of the Infra red Satellite loop I have seen, IVAN looks to be taking a small south western turn. Possible, and hopefully, not making a direct hit on Jamaica.

I will give a link to the loop I looked at, but it is obviously time sensative.

IR Loop

[edit on 9/11/2004 by phreak_of_nature]

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viendin
Well, that's simply not something HAARP can do.
It's so funny, because all of these people see something they don't understand, and don't know the reasoning for, and immediately conclude it is a superpowerful master-governmental plan to destroy the world. Or take it over. It differs weekly.

Actually I was using Level I sarcasm on that. I should have ratched it up to level II
. That being said, I agree with you and the scientific realities about the HAARP array in Alaska.

rc

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I live in FL. Where do you all think its going to hit here? We keep hearing all these different things and its very stressful. I wish they knew and since they dont they dont need to keep changing it every couple of hours. Whats your thoughts on the impact spot?

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Unfortunatly, it's still to early to tell where he's going to go. After Ivan passes over/by Cuba, it should by a LITTLE easier to predict.

Death toll is now up to at least 50 and Ivan is CAT5 again.

[edit on 9/11/0404 by dangermouse]

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This might help a bit in easing fears for Floridians,

"THERE HAVE BEEN SOME GRADUAL CHANGES IN THE STEERING PATTERN OVER
THE LAST DAY OR SO WHICH COULD RESULT IN THE HURRICANE MOVING ON A
TRACK NOT AS CLOSE TO SOUTH FLORIDA. WHILE THIS MAY BE GOOD NEWS
FOR SOUTH FLORIDA...IT IS NOT SO FOR OTHER REGIONS OF THE EASTERN
GULF COAST. WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOW THAT A RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE
AT THE MID TO UPPER-LEVELS HAS DEVELOPED FROM THE GULF OF MEXICO
EASTWARD ACROSS FLORIDA. IT APPEARS THAT THIS RIDGE HAS BEEN
FORCING THE HURRICANE ON A MORE WESTWARD TRACK...DELAYING THE
EXPECTED NORTHWEST AND NORTHWARD TURN. ALTHOUGH THE NORTHWARD TURN
IS STILL FORECAST TO OCCUR AS A WEAKNESS DEVELOPS IN THE GULF OF
MEXICO...IT IS NOW EXPECTED TO OCCUR OVER EXTREME WESTERN CUBA AND
OVER THE OPEN WATERS OF THE GULF OF MEXICO. THIS TRACK INCREASES
THE HURRICANE RISK FOR THE NORTHEASTERN GULF OF MEXICO REGION AND
DECREASES IT FOR SOUTH FLORIDA. THE WESTWARD SHIFT OF THE OFFICIAL
FORECAST REMAINS IN AGREEMENT WITH GUIDANCE WHICH HAS ALSO BEEN
SHIFTING GRADUALLY WESTWARD."

This is an exerpt from the latest discussion on the NOAA site.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Updated the initial post with the Cat 5 info. Now its headed for Cuba. The combatants at Gitmo's camp X-Ray better hope that Allah is not distracted when it hits! Hopefully someone there has some common sence and moves them into a shelter or something.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
It's far away from Guantanamo Bay. That's on the east side of the island. Unless it turns back (which is highly inprobable), they'll get similar weather to what we got from Ivan a few days ago. Slightly tropical storm forced winds..

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:34 AM
link   
here is a pic from space .. this pic really shows the pyhsical size of the storm much better then weather radar

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Boy you are not kidding that is an impressive size storm. Even those not near the center are going to be hit pretty hard. I was watching the news and they were predicting a tidal surge of up to 25 feet in some parts of Cuba. 25 Feet! man I hope people are ready

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I suggest if you live in FL get tf out now while you still have a chance.. 50+ dead in Jamaca isnt a good thing ya know..

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
While both Jamacia and Grand Cayman have been battered by Ivan, neither have taken a direct hit. Ivan's eye has not passed directly over either island as predicted. What I am noticing is that it appears to be staying on it's westerly track. If it doesn't take that northerly turn they are predicting, it may well hit the Yucatan penninsula.

CO

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I live on the mississippi gulf coast one block from the beach. we are boarding up & getting out. I've watched this storm on the weather chanel for a week & watched the path slowly move to the west. what do these metorologist really know? not much.

top topics

join