It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second UK Storm - Incoming

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Afternoon All,

I'm sure all our UK residents have heard about the storm that ravaged much of Scotland over the past 36 hours, trees fell, roofs blown off, bridges closed, 2 fatalities and many other damaging scenarios...well its not over I'm afraid.

This winter sure is shaping up to be very active here in the UK, a stark contrast to last year.

With that in mind, i want to highlight to you the dangers of a second storm that's incoming as i type. I've left it late to post about this storm because i just haven't had much time recently to do anything other than catch up with things after the festive break...so without further ado...

The ground is already soaking wet with days of rainfall. Trees are already slightly lose with yesterdays storm, so any significant wind and rain could result in further damage. And then of course there is those who have already suffered and are still repairing homes who will have to deal with a second storm.

Another deep Atlantic low pressure system passing close to the north of Scotland will bring further high winds and heavy rain to many parts of the UK during the next 24 hours.

Winds will widely gust to 50-60mph with exposed coastal regions potentially seeing gusts of 70-80mph. With trees and branches already weakened by yesterday's high winds, along with heavy rain saturating the soil, the risk of debris and falling trees is increased.

Rainfall will be heaviest in the west of the country - particularly through western Scotland, northwest England and Wales where 25-50mm (perhaps more over higher ground) will fall, leading to the risk of further flooding.

The rain will clear southeast overnight, with showers following in behind. Winds will peak overnight, gradually easing tomorrow morning

Here you can see the storm off the north coast of Scotland. The strongest wind i would imagine, would be around Southern Scotland, Western England and through the Peak District. It will also be noticeable along exposed coasts, areas such as North East Scotland, England and the Irish Sea

Here we have the sea surface pressure chart for 9pm this evening...notice the winds are a north westerly so it will be bitingly cold...not snow though!

A more detailed look at the isobars

This is a depiction of the forecaster precipitation and the areas to be worst affected. The darker the colour the heavier the rain. Bear in mind this is already falling on sodden ground.

Wind forecasts for midnight tonight. At this range its the north of the UK who get it worst, that then transits south to the following image at around 3am

Although not as severe as yesterdays storm, this is worth a mention because of the current state of the environment and ground. If you don't need to travel, your best not too. Keep up to date with events using the links below or your local media.

Stay Safe

Met Office Weather Warnings
Live Rainfall Radar- UK
Live Infra Red Sat Image - UK
edit on 4/1/12 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I'm in the South East so far still dry and no winds was a nice sunny day, all though it was chilly but that is normal in this time of year.

Thanks for the heads up

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Im not looking foward to that!
Is it just me or does it seem like the seasons are changing/shifting?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by misscurious

The seasons are definitely changing - my fruit trees produce earlier and earlier.
2011 was full of record breaking weather events globally and where I live in the UK, I've never experienced such sustained rain and wind.
Though Scotland has recently had the worst of it, here in Pennine Yorkshire it's been pretty ferocious too.
edit on 4-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10

The seasons are definitely changing - my fruit trees produce earlier and earlier.
2011 was full of record breaking weather events globally and where I live in the UK, I've never experienced such sustained rain and wind.

It certainly is noticeable, and unless the Polar Vortex over Greenland weakens and a blocking effect takes control of the Atlantic - Like last year - we will continue to see these extra tropical cyclones form off of Greenland and blow across the Atlantic.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Thanks Jamie, great job again at making us Brits aware of potentially dangerous weather. I prefer to read your updates than the qualified weathermen - good job!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by misscurious

just made a thread about this exact thing yesterday... bonkers isn't it!

the joys of spring... in JANUARY!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Thanks for the warning. Here in north wales i can hear the rain lashing against the windows and it sounds like its begining to grow. Problem is Ineed to go to the shop for some milk, better warn the family I may be gone some time.

Wrap up warm folks because christ knows you cant afford to turn the heating up

Oh and to the earlier poster that mentioned that the seasons are changing. Got to agree with you on that one I have been saying that for a couple of years now . But whos to blame thats the question or is mother nature trying to wipe us out?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Well stormy weather is quite normal in winter in Britain. Just that the past few years have been a bit abnormal. We're just catching up ....

Looks like tomorrow could be quite gusty, especially in heavy showers.

Edit: remember 2007? Mild and stormy, just like this year:

news.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 4-1-2012 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I'm in the south east and we have rain and the odd gust of wind at the moment!
Yesterday was not nice, we had a burst of strong winds and heavy rain mixed with hail in the first half of the morning. Last night was quite windy too.

I guess this is nothing compared to further up north.
Stay safe all and i hope that this doesn't bring to much damage.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Hi all.

6ish here in S Wales and it has been windy for an hour and getting stronger. The weather people are stressing that winds could funnel up the River Severn, which sounds a bit scary.

Keeping eye on my wheelie bin, going to put some lights on it and if it flies down the road, hope for a smashing UFB photo..(Unidentified Flying Bin) Haha

Regarding season change, could this change be why the Apricot tree I brought 2 years ago, produced black cherries last year, or was it a dodgy garden centre?

Best bit, my neighbour, struggling under a raincoat, just knocked on door to remind me I had left my cars lights on! That is real neighbourly. Times like these brings out the best in people.

Have a safe night all ATSers, especially those further up north.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Hi Jamie,
Battened down my hatches here yesterday!
As always S&F to you and I will be watching....I have to go out tomorrow night to make an exhibition of myself
so I'm hoping it will have all blown over by then...may be

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Starting to get a little battered here now. Reports of trees down and power out. East Anglia.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Hello from Pennine Yorkshire. It's close to midnight and I have just been out with the dog. I live down a little country lane and it is strewn with debris that has washed down from an adjoining footpath. Never seen it so bad. And the wind was terrifying. I was afraid a tree would fall on my head! Plus it sounded like the wind was whistling inside the house. Need to check all the windows.
The power has been flickering since about 9pm so I've been ready with candles and a torch and banked up the solid fuel stove in case there is no power in the morning.
edit on 4-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
midnight. lancashire. north west uk. winds are very intense. im on a hill which doesnt help. id say its at its most violent now

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by badtaste87

Roiughly where in Lancashire are you? I'm about 15 miles from Colne but over the border in Yorkshire.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
supposed to calm down as the night goes on

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

rossendale near burnley

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Hi All!

I am in North Lincolnshire and the winds have been quite bad these past 2 days, my fence was blown over last night and wheelie bins all knocked over and rubbish blown everywhere! lol

I can hear it blowing outside now.. hope my rooftiles are still there in the morning!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Just spent the last week in Lochaber where the rain never stopped and the wind never seemed to ease. Yesterday (4th) saw absolutely no mobile reception and the tv reception that was already dodgy, failed completely around midday and hadnt came back by the time we were leaving this morning. But it was still fairly easy going judging by what Glasgow & central belt had dealt with yesterday

The rain never let up from the moment we got in the car to when we got back out here in Glasgow and the rivers flowing into and out of Loch Lomond have well and truly burst their banks, and I dont think it will take much more for it to flood beyond the already sodden fields and hit parts of the A82 on the upper loch.

As op stated, the scary part is people not getting the chance to check what may be already weakened structures which could become a death trap for an innocent bystander. And theres absolutely nothing that can be done about it at the moment.
edit on 4-1-2012 by Ficargul because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join