It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TruTV's "BaitCar"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by daniel5383

Why defend thieves, the lowest form of life? The only people this would bother are thieves.

This thread is bait correct?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy
Questions:

Is finding and picking up a $20 bill on the street that isn't yours illegal?

Then why is finding a car?

The value?

Why would you rationalize stealing a car?

Under your idea, any car without a person in it is fair game right? Anyone can take it? That seems to be what you said here?

I'm curious. If you parked your car on the street and forgot to pick up your keys off the seat and then somebody jumped in and took it, would you consider it stolen or finders keepers? Remember now, your car, you worked to pay for.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
While Bait Car is funny and entertaining I have to admit that I have mixed feelings about entrapment. The way I see it is they did not really stop a crime, they created one. The person stealing the car may or may not have ever stolen a car had they not used entrapment. The irony is that cops have no problem putting you on camera during an arrest/crime (ie. Cops, Bait Car) but as soon as someone films them they get all emotional. I get what they are doing but im sure there is a better way.

IIRC Statiscally many car thieves are heavy repeat offenders taking one car thief out of action for few months or years saves untold additional car thefts.PLUS it;s done very publicly so word gets out and miscreants in the are are less likely to take advantage and snatch YOUR wheels...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
aint those cars remote stoppable and pretty much everythings under police control so they cant even open the windows etc

but even if i saw a car with gold bricks on the backseat with the engine running/keys in the ignition i'd smell a rat and perhaps use the wing mirror to check my hair while spotting the cameras and then walk away towards the nearest large van making piggy noises

Well I'd grab the gold and run!
Screw the car I could buy a few of them with gold!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
it's posts like this that really make me question humanity and wonder where the F do these people live because i'd would desperately love to move into that gated community. i don't care if an undercover cop approached a perfect stranger and told that dude he'd give him 500 bucks to steal that car for him i still wouldn't consider that entrapment and if he did do it he deserves any jail time he gets. it's a F'ed up economy and world at the moment i know it as well as everyone else but steaing anything doesn't even enter my mind. there's no gray area, a crook is a crook, is a crook. for anyone with pitty for one i can only imagine you've never had anything taken from you or your family and i'm glad for that but wake up, wow.
edit on 4-1-2012 by n3mesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
to re-iterate what others have said

entrapment , [ in legal terms ] requires active coersion and instigation to comit a crime , bait car is a passive opportunity to seal , ergo - not entrapment

the fact that " bait car " has the doors unlocked , and the keys in the ignition is legally irrelevant . any car that is left unsupervised is a " theft opportunity " , bait car is simply easier than a locked car with an alarm - but locked cars with alarms are routinely stollen - is that entrapment - simply leaving your car unsupervised ?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by daniel5383

As much as I dislike Thieves, (trying to not use the hate word for 2012) and having had both of my German cars Broken into on several occasions in the past.

In criminal law, entrapment is conduct by a law enforcement agent inducing a person to commit an offense that the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit.[1] In many jurisdictions, entrapment is a possible defense against criminal liability. However, there is no entrapment where a person is ready and willing to break the law and the government agents merely provide what appears to be a favorable opportunity for the person to commit the crime.

The primary difference here is that these teenagers didnt actually break into the cars to commandeer them but were technically "Lured" into these cars and were subsequently caught driving them away.

When someone is lured into wrong doing without any prior intent of committing a crime then this according to the legal definition is what constitutes to entrapment.

This is simply another means of indoctrinating another paying customer early on into the penal system.
By the use of the allure of a nice car with shiny rims which many if not most young males would likely find irresistible and especially to the impoverished.

Peace

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I have been annoyed with this show for quite some time. I consider it entrapment in the utmost, right along with "To Catch a Predator". Yes, these situations do catch previous perpetrators and prevent serious criminals from committing heinous acts, but it also provokes innocent people to act on human inhibition where they normal would not.

Most people who are down in the dumps and low on cash would never think of stealing a car right out. But say you are having a bad day. Say you are one step away from bankruptcy, your kid has medical bills, and you see a shining chance, door hanging wide open to give you a reprieve from that. Most people are going to take it.

Does that make them cold-hearted criminals? Hell no. It makes them human, and it is because of the sick SETUP that they were provoked into showing their negative human tendencies, when normally they would not.

Same with the predator show but in a different light. I'm sure many of those people have sick minds, but then again, without some kind of setup contact with "underage" users, most of them would have never had the opportunity to act on their negative human tendencies. Not only that, but no matter how many of them are true pedophiles, if even one of those people were meeting with the "bait" to talk them down from their adulterated tendencies that THEY initiated, then innocent men and women got arrested for nothing, and are blamed solely for the lack of moral integrity and promiscuity of today's youth. In reality - the blame goes both ways.

To me, entrapment is entrapment, no matter how many arrests you get out of it. It is against our rights and for many truly hard criminals are caught, many innocent people are lured by the thought of greener pastures. It is just plain wrong.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

utter twaddle

Most people who are down in the dumps and low on cash would never think of stealing a car right out. But say you are having a bad day. Say you are one step away from bankruptcy, your kid has medical bills, and you see a shining chance, door hanging wide open to give you a reprieve from that. Most people are going to take it.

ok sherlock - what are you going to do with a stolen car ?

come on - seriously - what are you going to do ?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Wow, I'm against police brutality but to defend criminals who steal another persons personal property is just plain ignorant. If these car thief's are willing to steal cars, I guarentee they are probably involved in other criminal activities. The bait car is making these thief's think twice before stealing a car. Shame on you op for defending and making excuses for criminal activity.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I have no problem with cops doing this, just like I don't have a problem with the show "To Catch a Predator". If I see a car with the keys on the roof, I'm still not going to steal it. Car thieves are criminals. The end. If they put them away, that's a few less car thieves on the street I have to worry about. Everyone makes mistakes and I understand that, but if you get caught doing something like that, you already knew the risks you were taking.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Criminals are parasites on society. Nothing more..and no other way to see it. Anything the Police do to scrub those parasites off the body of society is a good thing in my book and they need to do more of it.

Criminals are a product of society.

If there was no resistance in the early 1900's women would not be equal to man (sociologically). Racism would be accepted. And the list goes on.

There is a reason for crime. It is not just some crazy phenomenon that appears out of nowhere and for no reason.

There is no clean cut line between society and "criminals". Everyone commits crime.... society is criminal... so it really has nothing to do with breaking laws but who can create the scapegoat and cover up their wrongdoing?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
How is this show any different from Lizard Lick Towing, Operation Repo, and everything else? I think its just entertainment. The only thing I watch on TruTV is Worlds Dumbest, because it does show a lot of people doing stupid things that is real...
edit on 4-1-2012 by KonquestAbySS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
There is a reason they put them in those neiborhoods. Manhours! They might have to watch that car for days in a upscale area. Unless of course they parked them near a bus-stop. Times being tough does not constitute theft but it does seperate the determined people who will rise to the challenge and the lazy vermin who will take your crap. Lock-em up

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by gwydionblack

utter twaddle

ok sherlock - what are you going to do with a stolen car ?

come on - seriously - what are you going to do ?

uuhhhh joy ride?

what do you think? They take cars to chop shops, numbnuts

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy
Questions:

Is finding and picking up a $20 bill on the street that isn't yours illegal?

Then why is finding a car?

The value?

That depends on where you live. en.wikipedia.org...
And more than a few people have went to jail just for finding something.

What I find odd is how they can keep reusing the same car over and over. It seems to me after a few times that no one would go near any car of that make and model. Do they repaint the cars used? It just seems that the people doing the stealing must be a little dumb to even go near a car of the make and model of the bait cars. The police must have a lot of cars to use or something.

edit on 1/4/2012 by fixer1967 because: to add

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This show has been on for a few years now...3 I believe.

Entrapement? No difference between an undercover hooker, drug dealer or fence buying stolen property. Dont do the crime.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
My new car was stolen the day before I was due to insure it... the car was recovered with missing wheels etc etc and damaged motor, the emotional pain and financial loss to me was tough. You feel violated. Im still mad about it 12 years later.

I have not pity for car thieves.. entrapment or not. Hang them high. Until it happens to you personally, you probably think the cops are wrong to do this, I wish they could have locked up the scum who took my car beforehand with this method..

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonTattooz
reply to post by joyride0187

I don't think anybody is sympathizing with the criminals. It's more of a case where people who actually love freedom are sick and tired of watching our freedoms being taken a chunk at a time. These shows are desensitizing people to police wrongdoing. they are getting people onboard with the idea that catching criminals at all costs is all that matters. I do not watch Law & Order, CSI, etc. for that exact reason. I am protesting the glorification of the police state.

What the # does this show have anything to do with freedom? And yes,it is a case of people sympathizing with a bunch of low life criminals.It's simple,steal a car go to jail.That has nothing to do with 'freedom'.What,you think it's okay to break the law?Oh right I forgot,the police are wrong for arresting criminals ...By the way,not watching those shows protests nothing and if you think it does..me thinks you live in a fantasy world

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
wow some of the responses here make me understand how misguided this world really is given the opportunity to steal something you know you don`t own. Just because you can steal a car and drive it in Grand theft Auto (video game) please understand the real world isn`t that video game.

1 car stolen every 5 seconds that's taking something you had no right to. so if these cops are even using entrapment I`m 100% for it.

Car theft has caused high speed chases even killing innocent people, hit and runs on pedestrians and property damage, get away cars for armed robberies, abductions that are untraceable
.Iif these cops need to do this by all means they should it puts this scum where they should be behind bars.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join