It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TruTV's "BaitCar"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

I don't expect people to be honest or moral but I'd like Law Enforcement to at least try. To me, this kind of sting is almost illegal and gives me little hope for the future...when predator drones are flying over head recording honest and moral people breaking the law.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
reply to post by monkcaw

Not everyone would fall for a bait car.

If you are an honest moral person, you'd just walk on by.

You wouldn't jump in the car and drive off.

I get what your saying. Just because I don't agree does not mean your on higher moral ground than me."Pre Crime" officers going fishing in the hood with Escalades on 20 inch rims feels like a waste resources if you ask me..

edit on 4-1-2012 by Digital_Reality because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

reply to post by monkcaw

What happens to the good summaritan who looks into the car to see if they can find the registration to inform the owner that they left their keys on their car and their car wide open?

Maybe the two "thugs" were taking the vehicle to the owner?

I know it's a stretch but that's what happens when slippery slopes are played on.
edit on 4-1-2012 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I pulled into a convenience store yesterday and next to me was a newer ford pickup truck, left running.

It's a tad chilly in the morning and I"m guessing that's why he left it running.

No one jumped into the truck and drove off.

What's the difference between that truck owner and the bait car?

In my opinion, the only difference is that the bait car is left by the police.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I pulled into a convenience store yesterday and next to me was a newer ford pickup truck, left running.

You do know that some vehicles have this capability? They can run while being locked.

That truck owner probably locked his truck.

Or maybe he had an Iphone?

Who needs a key? IPhone app unlocks and starts car

www.usatoday.com...

Having a vehicle running doesn't automatically mean that the vehicle is unlocked.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy
Questions:

Is finding and picking up a $20 bill on the street that isn't yours illegal?

Then why is finding a car?

The value?

Strictly in the reading of the law? Yes... You ARE breaking the law by pocketing that $20. Under the law that covers most of our nation, the legal duty is to turn in the money, fill out the forms and patiently wait the 60 or 90 days for no one to claim it as lost. Then it becomes yours. Of course, the utter absurdity of all that over a $20 bill that can neither be tracked nor claimed in any realistic way makes breaking the law the only reasonable option if someone doesn't just leave the money sit to begin with. (Personally..I'd pick it up and pocket it..if I had no idea where it came from. I'd do it knowing I wasn't technically right though...not deluding myself by saying it's all fine)

A car..on the other hand...is easy to track, claim and restore to it's rightful owner if it's actually lost. However...one can hardly call it lost when 90% of the thieves have watched to elaborate show to see how the car supposedly came to be there. Just occasionally, they DO get an honest citizen on the show who moves the car out of pure intentions (and they let them go on the spot, I've seen)...the vast majority are opportunistic scum who would steal your car or mine JUST as fast if we got sloppy about securing it like the crown jewels in some places.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by Digital_Reality

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by Ittabena
reply to post by daniel5383

Evidently I am older than most on this thread.

My father - the cop - used to call that entrapment. Today we call it programming and everyone laps it up.

Let's say someone steals your car. You have OnStar or LoJack or some other locating device in it which leads the cops to your car, and therefore, the car thief.

Is THAT entrapment? No.

Entrapment is putting a bait car in the open, then having an undercover cop encouraging the car thief to go steal THAT car.

Nail on the head...

Not only do they drop the car off but they leave the door open and the car running and they create a fake argument to sell it. Its defiantly entrapment.

Definitely not, and the courts have said as much. So unless you are smarter than all those judges....

After reading your position on this issue, I figured I would just quote this one. We call people like you "Sheeple". You believe what Big Brother tells you. Judges? Are you kidding? Yes, as a matter of fact, I am smarter than those judges. I also, apparently, know more about what the law is supposed to represent, and who the Constitution is supposed to protect.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

It's a tad chilly in the morning and I"m guessing that's why he left it running.

No one jumped into the truck and drove off.

In my opinion, the only difference is that the bait car is left by the police.

I don't think anyone is debating the fact that stealing is wrong and they are criminals as soon as they get in a car that is not theirs and drive away. Stealing is bad and I hate a thief as much as the next honest person!

For me, the question is if it crosses a moral line or if it has the potential for abuse for profit or ratings..

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The best bait car show, was when one guy, walked past the bait car, and looked inside, took the keys, the police then got all excited like little kids, and the guy drove the car over to the car park across the street parked up, looked around, then walked over and handed the keys to the plainclothed police sitting in his car, and said these yours....it was a classic....

And also the one were a group of black guys, walk past a bait car, and one of them looks inside and says "Thats a bait car leave it" they take the keys, then walk down the road, and sit at a burger bar, and ask a mexican sitting at the burger bar to have a look at the car for them, and hand the mexican the keys, he then gets under the car, looks around, and then gets in and drives off....all the while these black guys are on the floor laughing...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Ittabena

Yeah, Dog the Bounty Hunter does that a lot too (programming). And I wouldn't necessarily say it's a bad thing. However, it is unlikely that there is enough grace involved, simultaneously, in the common examples of this, to make up for the "force" behind such manipulation of the sheep by the sheepdogs.

Really, what's the point of being "stronger" if all you use it for is to cover up the appearance of evil (as is the West's policy towards it's own foolishness)? The strong should be lifting up the weak in the pursuit of order, not stamping the weak out (as is the West's policy towards it's supposed enemies).

BaitCar should be understood to be a thermometer that is testing the sickness of a patient who is then helped. Instead, the sheep, when they are ensnared by their weakness are also pulled down by those who should be rescuing them (lifting them up to maturity). If the world's leadership were to be judged as shepherds, I think Life would do to them what they do to the weak.

Give to your neighbor as yourself...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

reply to post by monkcaw

What happens to the good summaritan who looks into the car to see if they can find the registration to inform the owner that they left their keys on their car and their car wide open?

I know it's a stretch but that's what happens when slippery slopes are played on.

Happens all the time on the show. They thank the person for being honest and move to another location since their cover was blown. It sounds like you have alot of sympathy for criminals.
edit on 4-1-2012 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

This is the reason I get when talking to folks up here for not getting involved in things.

Nobody even wants to return mail delivered to the wrong address unless it's a personal acquaintance because they fear being caught up in some nonsense if any person they interact with is having a bad day. Letters just disappear.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

I don't think anybody is sympathizing with the criminals. It's more of a case where people who actually love freedom are sick and tired of watching our freedoms being taken a chunk at a time. These shows are desensitizing people to police wrongdoing. they are getting people onboard with the idea that catching criminals at all costs is all that matters. I do not watch Law & Order, CSI, etc. for that exact reason. I am protesting the glorification of the police state.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I'm no lawyer but since the police retain control of the car how can they charge people with auto theft? Also it would seem difficult to prove the

intent to permanently deprive the owner or the person with rightful possession of that property of its use.
(Wikipedia definition--Theft)

Seems like "Unauthorized use of a motor vehicle" would be more fitting. But hey, maybe I'm soft on crime.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonTattooz

Entrapment happens when:

•Law enforcement officials induce or persuade someone to commit a crime
•That the person (most likely) wouldn't have committed without being persuaded to do so

It's the person's predisposition to steal the car that makes it a crime. I get your point about loosing freedoms a chunk at a time but the police setting up a bait car is not entrapment so exactly which freedoms are you loosing?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187
reply to post by DragonTattooz

Entrapment happens when:

•Law enforcement officials induce or persuade someone to commit a crime
•That the person (most likely) wouldn't have committed without being persuaded to do so

It's the person's predisposition to steal the car that makes it a crime. I get your point about loosing freedoms a chunk at a time but the police setting up a bait car is not entrapment so exactly which freedoms are you loosing?

My friend, your post proves my point. Look at your first bullet- induce or persuade. I find it hard to believe that they are doing anything but inducing these people to commit a crime.

To be clear- In virtually ANY instance of entrapment the argument can be made the subject was predisposed to commit a crime.

To answer your last point. The freedoms I am losing are the freedoms to travel around this country without being harrassed by police. Every time they get away with this crap they become more emboldened to violate the rights of the next citizen they run across. I have been briefly detained due to the fact that I have very long hair, and for no other reason. When I was an engineer for GE and wore my hair short and wore Dockers, polo shirts, etc. I never was bothered. I am the same person, and, if you want to boil it down, today I provide a valuable service, whereas with GE I was helping to enrich a company that does more harm than any car thief. Go figure.
edit on 4-1-2012 by DragonTattooz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187

reply to post by monkcaw

Happens all the time on the show. They thank the person for being honest and move to another location since their cover was blown. It sounds like you have alot of sympathy for criminals.
edit on 4-1-2012 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

No sympathy for criminals.

Just no sympathy for corrupted law enforcement either.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Disregarding legalize for a second, let's see what the actual meaning of the words are.

The name of the show is baitcar.

The meaning of "to bait" the verb:

Definition of BAIT
transitive verb
1 a: to persecute or exasperate with unjust, malicious, or persistent attacks b: tease
2 a: to harass (as a chained animal) with dogs usually for sport b: to attack by biting and tearing
3 a: to furnish with bait
b: entice, lure
4 : to give food and drink to (an animal) especially on the road

www.merriam-webster.com...

The definition of entrap:

Definition of ENTRAP
transitive verb
1 : to catch in or as if in a trap
2 : to lure into a compromising statement or act

www.merriam-webster.com...

Now, at least in mathematical terms ( when A=B and B=C we can assume that A=C), the very title of the show means "entrapcar".

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by daniel5383

What they should do is rig the car with explosives so the criminal goes bye bye when he tries to start it. I am sure it would deter people from stealing cars in that hood.

U

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Questions:

Is finding and picking up a $20 bill on the street that isn't yours illegal?

Then why is finding a car?

The value?

The car is signed into your name, money isn't.

But that doesn't always hold true. If you lose money everyone knows your # out of luck cause nobody will know who it belongs to. If you buy something with that money its a whole nother story.

Glad I could help you.
edit on 4-1-2012 by EmperorXyn because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join