It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TruTV's "BaitCar"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
The best one was when they put the bait-car outside of a prison or detention center and two women just released from being locked up jumped in it and drove off. They were calling their friends and bragging, so giddy and happy until those bright red & blues started flashing behind them. Talk about stupid people, but great entertainment!

Oh, and it's not entrapment unless they lure them into the car that they think is legal to enter and then arrest them IMO. The people know exactly what their trying to do.
edit on 1/4/2012 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ittabena
reply to post by daniel5383

Evidently I am older than most on this thread.

My father - the cop - used to call that entrapment. Today we call it programming and everyone laps it up.

Let's say someone steals your car. You have OnStar or LoJack or some other locating device in it which leads the cops to your car, and therefore, the car thief.

Is THAT entrapment? No.

Entrapment is putting a bait car in the open, then having an undercover cop encouraging the car thief to go steal THAT car.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

It's a shame you have to explain what entrapment is to some people. This all started with Clinton and what the meaning of "is" is.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
While Bait Car is funny and entertaining I have to admit that I have mixed feelings about entrapment.

I'm a little baffled by how anything related to Bait Car can be seen as entrapment?

Would you, as an average citizen, be the LEAST BIT tempted to climb into what is clearly not YOUR car, start the engine and drive away...simply because it was left there and a big scene staged in how it came to be left?

If the answer is yes, for some, they are precisely who I want to see this effort trap (not entrap) and prosecute. If the answer is No, I believe you represent the VAST MAJORITY of society and ought to applaud the removal of those parasites who would actually answer yes.........or even hesitate in having to consider their answer at all, IMHO.

I would not EVER steal a car unless my life depended on it. I'm not condoning or defending the thieves. It just makes me think when you start on a slippery slope like this where does it end?

Is it entertainment aimed at making money for sponsors and selling TV ads or is it about stopping crime? Is it OK for the police to set up any fake situation to catch a crook? When does it become as immoral and underhanded as the crooks your trying to catch? Ill be honest and say when I watch something like this even though they are getting crooks off the streets something inside me feels conflicted about the way its done. Does the end justify the means?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

There is enough crime without creating new.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonTattooz
Mixed feelings for me. It is clearly entrapment, but I hate a thief. A thief is a thief is a thief. Entrapment or not, these people do this as a normal part of their day. This is seriously one of those topics where I am just about stymied because I feel both sides so strongly; kind of a paradox going on in my head.

In the end, if forced to take a position, I think i would have to disagree with the practice, if for no other reason than I think those resources could be better utilized elsewhere.

Providing the opportunity to commit a crime is not"entrapment" legally or morally. It is not going to turn a "non -thief" into a "thief.."Each and every criminal could've just walked past.

You don't own it; it's not yours...simple; or did that simple lesson get dropped between participation trophies presentations on "self esteem day"? ...

Not only would I not get in an empty car I didn't own...I would not open a door to turn someones' headlights out ( I'd certainly alert the store management to announce it) but in this day and age?

"Did you just go into my car?"
"yes.... your headlights were on; I tuned them off"!

" Officer: I had $1,000 in the center console; now its gone!"...

edit on 4-1-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

My father - the cop - used to call that entrapment. Today we call it programming and everyone laps it up.

Let's say someone steals your car. You have OnStar or LoJack or some other locating device in it which leads the cops to your car, and therefore, the car thief.

Is THAT entrapment? No.

Entrapment is putting a bait car in the open, then having an undercover cop encouraging the car thief to go steal THAT car.

Nail on the head...

Not only do they drop the car off but they leave the door open and the car running and they create a fake argument to sell it. Its defiantly entrapment.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Well, I guess the fact that they weren't coerced into the theft removes the entrapment plea. They did this of their own free will. The first contact with law enforcement was long after the theft, not before.

The fact that at least one of those boys was a juvenile and already a repeat criminal disgusts me. Anyways, I think it is a good idea to use a bait car.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Is THAT entrapment? No.

Nail on the head...

Not only do they drop the car off but they leave the door open and the car running and they create a fake argument to sell it. Its defiantly entrapment.

"legally" presenting the opportunity to commit a crime is not entrapment. The thief is responsible for the crime...no matter how"tempting"the bait..Do you feel sorry for these
"dirtbags"; i don't.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Nice lookin police woman puts on short shorts /heels makeup and skanks herself up abit and stands on a corner. Perspective"john rolls up offers her$40.00 for sex.... entrapment? Sorry no....

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by OWSisdead

It's a shame you have to explain what entrapment is to some people. This all started with Clinton and what the meaning of "is" is.

The bigger shame? Having to explain it to a guy whose father was a cop.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Is THAT entrapment? No.

Nail on the head...

Definitely not, and the courts have said as much. So unless you are smarter than all those judges....

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Is it entertainment aimed at making money for sponsors and selling TV ads or is it about stopping crime? Is it OK for the police to set up any fake situation to catch a crook? When does it become as immoral and underhanded as the crooks your trying to catch? Ill be honest and say when I watch something like this even though they are getting crooks off the streets something inside me feels conflicted about the way its done. Does the end justify the means?

Fair enough on the slippery slope and you make a very good point there, given how we are watching every seemingly good idea taken to extremes and into levels of abuse it's sad to have to see happen. On that point, I suppose I can see where Bait Car could concern some. It wouldn't be this tactic specifically then, right? You're more concerned about Bait Car 2.0 when they come out with new adaptations of this one.

Hmm.. I guess we just have to keep watching as closely as we, as society, have been in the past few months in particular but a year or more at least for waking up and noticing things. If they cross the line, it's a good thing that enough people are ready to bust them on it and yell from the rooftops.
This is what our Republic must be to work and stay free.....an involved and interested public to slap their hands if they misbehave.

edit on 4-1-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
If I was walking down the street and saw a bait car, I'd just keep walking.

If I was walking down a street and saw the door of a house open, I wouldn't go in and steal.

I don't steal cars.

I don't steal other peoples things.

The bait car is not creating crime. It just give the criminal element opportunity to be criminals.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Communicationwillfreeus

There is enough crime without creating new.

::facepalm::

So what you're saying is that those two shirtless thugs would have stayed home and played xbox that night if it weren't for that sweet ride sitting down the street? The sweet ride just asking to be stolen?

Go to Oz, scarecrow.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

The bigger shame? Having to explain it to a guy whose father was a cop.

The definition of entrapment changes from state to state. It depends on where they draw the line. Its legal in some states while its not in others. It really is relative to the laws of the state or county.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Perhaps it's a necessary evil but I don't like it when police get to essentially lie, set up this elaborate scripted hoax and charge suckers with Grand Theft felonies. I mean what's next...drop a thousand dollars on the ground and charge whoever picks it up?

I just don't like these kinds of sting operations...makes it seem that cops are abetting a felony. But I'd really like to see stats on this tactic...does it really reduce crime or does it just put more minorities in jail.
Next stage... predator drone cop shows.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by monkcaw

Not everyone would fall for a bait car.

If you are an honest moral person, you'd just walk on by.

You wouldn't jump in the car and drive off.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
It's NOT entrapment.
If the police had an undercover agent telling the thieves where the bait car is, and to go steal it, that would be entrapment. The bottom line is the guys that get caught in the bait car are out looking for something to steal anyway.
I've seen some episodes where they used a real crappy car, and go figure, it still gets stolen.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy
Questions:

Is finding and picking up a $20 bill on the street that isn't yours illegal?

Then why is finding a car?

The value?

Because a $20.00 bill doesnt have a registration or a license plate a car does. With thoughts like yours I think you are part of generation zero.

Ok...I'll rephrase.

If you find a wallet on the street that has the person's ID in it along with $100. If you take the $100 and throw the wallet away, is it illegal?

Nice try at the personal attack BTW. "Generation Zero"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join