It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motherboard front Panel connector. Need some help

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Ooops,

Okay trying to connect the green wire, , red wire, orange wire and the blue wire on the motherboard but I can't find an image that shows me what color is what.

7 prong but 8 across

just need to figure that out.

edit on 4-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Well, I would be happy to help, but um...

It would be convenient to know what the problem is.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
most common fault is probably you probably swapped the +/- around so try swapping the cables around

best guess with that much limited info

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Hmm uploading pictures hold please.

Thanks.

Just bought the sata cord today so hoping that's the problem with the switch, watch it be the power supply. Me idiot removed the wires. dooh.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
What is your mobo make and model? Do you mean the front panel connectors as in the power and reset buttons or the front USB and audio?
edit on 4-1-2012 by Vodo34861 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Google the model of your motherboard. You should be able to find a diagram showing you what wires go where.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I don't know the model. I just bought it. Brand new computer and carps out on me in 4 months.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Your motherboard is labeled with where things are supposed to go. Just trace the wires to figure out what they are then plug them in where it is labeled. The plugs are also labeled but if you don't understand what it says just trace it to the beginning of the wire where it attaches.

Plugging them in wrong won't hurt anything so if all else fails do some trial and error.
edit on 4-1-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Hmm uploading pictures hold please.

oh cool XXX photos in ats... and who ever said that ats was a conservative site.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
I don't know the model. I just bought it. Brand new computer and carps out on me in 4 months.

As the poster above your post mentioned, could you type the model of your mother board and the rest should be a breeze.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
So it looks like you have front panel power/reset and maybe USB and audio. The black part on the end of the cable should be labeled. The model should be printed on the motherboard. On the same side that you took the picture on. From the picture that you posted there are some USB connectors right there. If you could locate the model number that would really help.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I can't see the images but......

You should be able to read the motherboard make and model right off the board, usually near the cpu socket. find the manual and it will clearly explain the wire leads.

The connectors you have are more than likely power button, reset button, front panel usb, front panel audio, and anything else on the front panel like a line in for audio for an external sata port.

Most new boards are color coated, but the positive and negative leads aren't always.

do you actually use the front panel stuff that much? If not, or even if you do, you could fiddle with it until you find the power button connector, once powered up you can google and download CPUz a free app that will scan the hardware in your pc, it should be able to tell you the make and model of the board so you can get the online pdf manual.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
You can see in the lower right of your mobo pic that bank of pins colored yellow.

That's where all those wires go.

You can see below the pins is written in white a little 'diagram'
IE; spkr = speaker
pow led = power light

etc

On the black part of your wires you'll see similar appreviations like pwr, hdd, etc

Try to match these up

Most importantly, note the little 'plus' + sign to the left of all of these abbreviations... That's intended to let you know which pin is positive, or how to not install the wires backwards... There should be a little white triangle on the black part of the wires that should also indicate which jumper is positive or negative

Also if it's an asus board check the box for a 'q connect' a little blue unit which makes installing those things alot easier
edit on 4-1-2012 by JRedBeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
BIOSTAR A780L3G AM3 AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Now I need to find the manual

A color manual for dumb blondes.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Also guys a sweet quick way to get your specs on a windows box is to run

dxdiag

It's a quick little app with lots of details about your machine

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Here is the link to download the manual

PDF manual

or

Page 15 has the info that you need.
edit on 1/4/2012 by staple because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Those will connect to the yellow prongs. In the bottom right of your picture you can see the yellow pronged section and beneath it you can see the diagram. The bottom left 4 pins will be speaker. Next two will be H. LED. Next two will be the Reset. Then go to the top row and connect the Power LEDs and the On and Off Switch. The cables should be labeled on the black connectors similar to the way they are labeled in the diagram beneath the yellow prongs.
edit on 4-1-2012 by Hektik1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JRedBeard

I can't get in there because it won't power on.

link   

Originally posted by staple
Here is the link to download the manual

PDF manual

or

Page 15 has the info that you need.
edit on 1/4/2012 by staple because: (no reason given)

Yeah, I downloaded the manual and it's in black and white. reading it now.

link   
reply to post by Manhater

Find out what each wire connects to on the header and then connect them to the corresponding pin. There should be labelling around the socket. (PWR LED - or + for example) If you do not know what you're doing though, I would recommend that you take it in to someone that does and have them do it, because that is the easiest way to short out and fry your mobo.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join