It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Maya Culpa on 2012 End of World: (a.k.a: It ain't gonna happen & here's why...)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

The last New Year's Day in human history has come. You may not believe it, but millions do. They are convinced that ancient Maya priests calculated December 21, 2012, as the end of the world. The only problem is, the ancient Maya predicted no such thing.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c7fb0a172c2c.jpg[/atsimg]

In its heyday, circa AD250 to 900, the Mayan civilisation produced a dazzling legacy of literature and learning, art and architecture. But they weren't preoccupied with apocalypse. The Maya perceived time as a set of infinite cycles, not a clock ticking towards doomsday. One of these cycles, known by scholars as the Maya Long Count, consists of more than 5000 years.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/14894355e868.jpg[/atsimg]

One text that records the date 13.0.0.0.0, a carved stone plaque from the Mexican site of Tortuguero, was ambiguously read by Maya scholars in 1996 as possibly predicting an ominous event - the ''descent'' of a deity associated with the underworld. The scholars posted their interpretation online and that reading spread rapidly across the internet in the years that followed, promoted as evidence of a specific Mayan prophecy.

The consensus today is that the text refers to a future commemoration of that date, when the local ruler will impersonate or represent that deity. It is not a doomsday prophecy but a bold assertion that the seventh-century building once marked by the plaque would still stand in 2012.

Source: archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/de18a20c2394.jpg[/atsimg]
So, what do you think is going to happen? Me, I think the whole idea that some culture back in the Day was able to know what the future holds.... is about as possible as it is today. Ain't gonna happen.... It's another B.S. story/concept/idea made up by someone trying to make themselves more important than they are etc.

Whats more feasible? The end of the World or what the common consenus is now?

Close up view of it:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2ffa6c269f5e.jpg[/atsimg]
My favorite pic of the End of the World

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I cant recall ever reading any material concerning certain celestial events predicted thousands of years that are to occur in 2012 mentioning anything remotely close to the "end of the world".

All those idiots out there will be pointing their ignorant little fingers at most of you saying " Ha ha, see no end of the world|. Suckers. Jesus is fake too!"

I would like to know where these poor rumors and misinformation concerning the Mayan calendar marking the end of the world came from.

Modern man has misinterpreted and perverted history to such a degree that I am sickened, and frightened on the notion that this is how the majority thinks. Turn your tvs off put your drink down and open your eyes. Research a little bit.
edit on 4-1-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I don't think the world will end, but I think there will be a change in the world as we know it.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
the world as no end its infinite
no Jesus or Halla or whatever but maybee the litle grey mens xD

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I'm sure that the world will not end. My guess would be that their calender would start over, a new cycle. The only thing that will probly happen on Dec. 21st, is stupid people causing chaos because they THINK something horrible is going to happen. It will definitely be interesting.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
people forget that 2012 its an big f*** money scam
how many movies books tv shows etc made millions with the 2012 thing????

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
its just another calender! (albeit more accurate than our present one!) but the end of an 'age' has just passed,and i flipped over the page of my new calender and it was Jan. 1st 2012! voila! a new age!!!
i will spend the next winter solstice the same way i have for the past 25 years or so.
giving thanks to the gods for what i have,and hoping they will bless me with love and wisdom for the next year!
peace on earth!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
This pretty much sums up my feelings on the whole thing:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I would just like to point out that those images are not of the Long Count. They are actually the Aztec Sun Calendar. Unfortunately, due to the shoddy research of many New Age authors it has become common belief that those are the Long Count. In truth, the Long Count isn't cyclical. Even if it was it wouldn't reset after 13 baktun. The claim that it does completely ignores the structure of the calendar.
edit on 1/4/2012 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

STOP: What? MORE please.... although I am off to look about this myself but you seem to got pretty good insight. Please share more.

You got my interest. But, you also even added to the point that the whole end of the world/Mayan thing is over-blown or even simply made up.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Here's what i think...

An Apocalypse (Greek: ἀποκάλυψις apokálypsis; "lifting of the veil" or "revelation") is a disclosure of something hidden from the majority of mankind in an era dominated by falsehood and misconception, i.e. the veil to be lifted.

It isn't till man made religion is used to control people that we start to get things distorted and twisted-

The Apocalypse of John (Greek Ἀποκάλυψις Ἰωάννου) is the Book of Revelation, the last book of the New Testament. By extension, apocalypse can refer to any End Time scenario, or to the end of the world in general.

And this- "I don’t use ancient Mayan calendars. Nor do I subscribe to Nostradamus.
Yet, throughout modern history, if there ever was a year when all the stars were crossed for a millennial tipping point, 2012 must be it.

…The convergence of already-obvious economic forces is destined to make 2012 one of the most dramatic years of the century.It’s the year when the European debt crisis is likely to reach a climax … when the U.S. budget battle will probably spill over into financial markets … When the world’s largest banks will face their Day of Reckoning … And, whether by austerity or inflation, when the majority of the world’s citizens could be forced to make some of the greatest sacrifices of modern times."- www.moneyandmarkets.com...

Plus the fact that the sun is spitting out new particles that are having an effect on radioactive elements here on earth.. And the human body has at least 8 radioactive elements in it,, when they change we change....

Also, each new age we've had the last few times we've had a new religious figure/religion created for us, and whats happened to the people that wouldn't go a long with it....
rik clay 2012:transition of the ages is worth checking out!!

So I guess you could say, it could be quite a lively period of time!

There's more to things if you do the research!

Let the good times roll, have a read of this- wecreatethelove.ning.com...

Namaste.

edit on 4/1/12 by WHOS READY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The Mayas predicting the end of the world ... no, they just said a timeframe would come to an end ... a calender will expire ... that's it.
Does that mean the world comes to an end? I hope so, because the world itself is something that was created by ourselves ... everybody living on this planet. The WORLD includes our social structures, jobs, morals, laws and the way we are doing things, it has nothing to do with LIFE itself or the PLANET we are living on! The planet will be fine for another million of years ... it will regenerate, heal and become as beautiful as it was millennia ago ... life itself will always be our tool to better ourselves, learn, feel and do ... but the world is something else. the Romans had their world, the Sumerians, Babylonians, Aztecs, the Ottoman, the nordic folks, Sowjets, monoglian ... there have been so many different worlds over the last thousands of years and at the moment, we do not live together in one world, but many (depends on the country where you are living). As we can see also older worlds like the roman empire vanished after a while, so why shouldn't it be possible, that our worlds will come to an end as well, to make room for a new way of dealing with the situation of passing time.

I hope the world comes to an end, so we can enjoy life as could be possible on this planet.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Modern man has misinterpreted and perverted history to such a degree that I am sickened, and frightened on the notion that this is how the majority thinks. Turn your tvs off put your drink down and open your eyes. Research a little bit.

I heard that, friend. I do not see an "end of the world" scenario either, and it is true the Maya never said the world would end. They said it would change, transform into a new world, one that a future has not yet been written for. That is why the calendar leaves a blank place, we, humanity, must fill that part ourselves.

All of the Native Tribes speak of a "Purification Time." Even the bible speaks of "A New Heaven and a New Earth." That new Earth may very well be right here. I think, and this is me here, I think we will rise up the Dimensions a bit. I don't know how many of you know of the Dimensions of time and space, but I have been made aware of many. I was once shown a place where whatever you thought became reality, instantly. I have come to believe that there are at least 10 Dimensions right here on Terra Firma, and all of them exist at the same time. They cannot "see" the other people in the other Dimensions, but they are there, just the same. I believe when the Purification comes, our Pineal Gland will activate, and we will then be able to see the other Dimensions, including the 4th Dimension, where all of our dead relatives and friends are right now. This is what the Bible means when it says, "Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead." (Isaiah 26:19 KJV)
The dead won't get up from their graves like in the Zombie movies, but our Spirits and theirs will mingle together.
This all may happen in an instant, and many may not even be aware that anything happened right away. When this does happen, there will be two Forces that will try to attract your Spirit. One will feel like family, the other will not. One wants you to be free, the other wishes to control you.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

End of the cycle. "Aliens" will show themselves to be our ancient family. And "Aliens" from hollow earth will make their presence known. :3

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
This "rumor" comes from mis interpretation of monument 6 in Tortuguero Mexico.

Monument 6 from Tortuguero is currently generating discussion as it includes the only known inscription depicting the end of the current 13-Bak'tun era in 2012.[4][5] Grube, Martin and Zender have stated[6] it refers to “the end of the 13th b’ahktun which we will see in the year 2012” and as to what will happen, they say, “…utom, “it will happen” (O4) followed by something that we cannot read (P4) and he “will descend” yem (O5). The last glyph begins with ta followed by something. However, this is not the end of the world.”

...it will happen...
...he will descend...

Wiki

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
it's all astrology related, so it needs to be taken in account, that the death of one age/cycle/era will lead to the birth of a new one. The world will not End. No man can ever know or predict when that will happen. But consciousness/awareness and how we view and interact with our world will change from we currently believe and accept in this age to hopefully something better in the new age.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

reply to post by anon72

The Long Count is based on a system of 20s, with one exception.

20 kin = 1 winal
18 winal = 1 tun
20 tun = 1 katun
20 katun = 1 baktun

Those are the units most people are familiar with in the Long Count. The reason why only 18 winal equals a tun, as opposed to the 20 of the other units is because 18 winal corresponds to 360 days. This is the same number of days one finds in the haab (the Mayans solar calendar) minus the five unnamed days at the end of the year. Now on top of these well known units there are others.

20 baktun = 1 piktun
20 piktun = 1 kalabtun
20 kalabtun = 1 k'inchiltun
20 k'inchiltun = 1 alautun

So you can see the only anomaly occurs with tuns. Furthermore, we have examples of Long Counts that use these higher order units. So you have to ask, if the Long Count resets after 13 baktun why have and use a unit that consists of 20 baktun? For that matter, why have and use any units higher than a baktun if the calendar rests after 13 baktun?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

You know... every once in a while one may just learn something here.

Fascinating.

Except. What if those interuptations are incorrect?

I wish there was a time machine.... I wish there was a time machine....

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
2012 is going to be a year just like any other year, the world wont end and the wont be any big spiritual chnge to humanity, this is just like the 1999 end of the world prediction, if the world was going to end Im sure we would have seen something to indicate it, a world dosnt end in just one day it takes time

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucifersjester

I suspect that the crescendo of fringe will abate after the date in December but before that I expect tidal waves of new age fringe nonsense - most of which contradict one - swarming thru the media for the next eleven months.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join