It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake disappears overnight

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Anim8tr

Very cool picture! You won't find any dead fish lying around as they either got washed with the water or they are all stuffed in those little puddles you see in the photos. This happened to a lake on the campus of the college I attended, one of my room mates took me fishing in one of the little puddles, we caught a boat load of fish out of a puddle the circumference of a bowl, I don't know how deep it was. I would guess since it is part of a river system, something stopped the flow up stream; if not that, then the river has run dry or you would still be getting water flow. If for some reason this reservoir is enclosed, it could be a sink hole drained the lake. You had said it was pouring rain the night before, if there is an aquifer beneath the lake, then the rain fall could have caused the sink hole. It happens all the time in Florida, as the aquifers got low, when they have large rain fall it would wash part of the aquifers support out and a small or large sink hole would appear and they can drain a whole lake rapidly. Just a thought; I think stopping the water flow up river is probably the most obvious answer as per Occam's Razor

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Hi, with some in depth knowledge of Germany, it's structures & buildings etc and without knowing this particular reservoir - in my opinion this thread has attracted far too much attention for the wrong reasons - and people have become overly excited about the whole subject - clearly as others have pointed out this is a reservoir with a dam & my educated guess lends me to think that the building left of the restaurant probably is a small scale water power / hydraulic power station. Many of these small scale hydraulic power stations can be found across the country and have been very popular in the first half of the 20th century. As the previous poster mentioned, most likely cause for the reservoir being drained are technical/maintenance ones and as by the looks of it the reservoir isn't actually that huge with a rather small capacity (volume) I don't find it that surprising that it is possible to drain it within a day or night - bit like pulling the plug in a bath tub - just compare the opening in a standard size bath tub to the volume of water contained... which might give an idea of how fast such a (comparatively small) dam/reservoir can be drained.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Anim8tr

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Have you seen the above reference to a similar incident

Belated "Happy New Year", to one and all ATS fellows

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
From the Wikipedia link in the OP (translated via Google Chrome).

Odd to look at when you've been used to looking at it a certain way I imagine, but as previously stated by many other posters, there is nothing ominous occurring.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
How does a lake disappear overnight?!
Id be heart broken if my beach were to follow suit

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
often if there is a dam somewhere down the line of the river thats exiting the lake they might have allowed the water to flow to avoid flooding if as you say there has been lots of rain and such, just my opinion though.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Hate mention, but the disappearance of a lake body can also be a precursor to an earthquake. A fault can open causing a breach into subterranean caverns or an aquifer. I wonder if the volcanic activity mentioned is related to this incident.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I went there for the first time a month ago with my girl, feed some ducks on a warm summer afternoon.

a month ago it would have been the middle of winter in germany.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anim8tr
reply to post by Hero Protagonist

I got another link to Google Maps showing theres no dam

Google Maps Eiswoog

It looks like that map absolutely DOES show a dam. I think thats where the water went.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Anim8tr

Been seeing a lot of this phenomenon globally, Quebec, Florida, Georgia, Oregon, Siberia, Turkey, Peru and now here. If it follows the same pattern, the ground will begin to release heavier gases and it should shed some light on your situation. The area is probably no longer an ideal spot to go hiking, be careful.

AX
FTNWO

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I know where the water went, it's downstream in the Netherlands now!
No wonder we have dams breaking because of high water, can't you keep your water to yourself? ;-)

No, serious: I think some previous posters are right, nothing weird going on, the dam is probably the reason.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Very very strange.I don't wanna sound a bit out of topic but I remember reading a Ufo sighting which occured near a lake.The ufo dropped a tube and started sucking the water and stop when it saw that it was being observe.I forgot the name of the report.Recent ufo sightings also happen in waters which led people to believe that theirs a base under some ocean or something.Ask around if there wasn't any ufo activity the night before.Your lake could've been a huge sample to some alien beings.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Anim8tr

Hi folks, there's nothing unusual about the water disappearing from that lake overnight. Even the wiki page says it is a "Stausee", which in English means a "dam". So it is an artificial lake - a pond. Every now and then ponds are being emptied in order to be cleaned - for the streams filling them bring lots of mud that slowly fills the lake...

We have a lot of artificial lakes in the Czech Republic (actually there's no natural lake in this country) and they are all being cleaned that way every now and then.

The guys from the restaurant probably didn't know about the cleaning process or they were joking a little :-)

Cheers,

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Possibly sink hole or fissures caused by volcanic/earthquake activity?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
A huge flock of ducks landed on the lake, ate up all the fish and the temperature dropped suddenly, flash freezing the lake.

The ducks freaked out and all flew away simultaneously. Took the lake as ice with them.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Check a few towns over and see if a neww lake appeared over night.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Folks, UberL33t already posted the answer... it was found on the op's original link to the wiki page. In Chrome, just translate it and the answer is there, as he highlighted and screen capped for you. Here, since you didn't read it, here it is again.
The Answer

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I took it

And I will never put it back.

Ever
edit on 6-1-2012 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Some times they have done that to a few lakes by my home
not sure if it relates to this topic or not .. but our purpose is to fix our docks or pull up
our docks from the water they also repair the 2 dams or dredge some sand or soil at each end of the lake but there is always water left
in the middle of the lake to hold the fish it is never void of all water.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
If you look out in the waters edge in that first picture just in front of that building that is the drain and this appears to be the deepest part of the lake. Seems funny that the water is to that drain but nothing missing below it to me.
And the lake is pretty bare with no seaweed type growth suggesting this happens often.

This lake really looks drained on purpose to me or the water was used in a massive water break wherever it supplies being a reservoir and really might cover some acreage but not very deep at all..

Not saying the OP is wrong but that restaurant worker is full of it.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Germany is doing Hydraulic Fracking to get to the Natural Gas deep below the Earth.

The fracking has resulted in ponds, lakes disappearing.

The same thing will occur in the United States on a MASSIVE scale from the Hydraulic Fracking to get the Natural Gas in the shales deep below.

There is natural gas bubbling up into America's rivers, lakes, and ponds right now from that hydraulic fracking.

Water will start disappearing...along with the civilization around them.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join