It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake disappears overnight

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Germany (Donnersberg Area) :

Something very unusal happened today. I had the day off so I took a drive to my favorite lake called the "Eiswoog". I went there for the first time a month ago with my girl, feed some ducks on a warm summer afternoon. Been visiting it weekly, since.
Before I even parked the car I saw from the distance that the water in the lake was suddenly gone!
There was a small Restaurant right next to it so I went in for a drink and ask about where they put the water.
They said they didn't know where it went, it was there yesterday and didnt notice any changes to the waterlevel. Only when they opened up the restarant in the morning was the first time they saw it missing.
This didn't happen before!

Mysterious...

The lake is a couple of miles away from my hometown and there was a huge rain and thunderstorm last night, so shouldn't the direct opposite have happened? No flood? Just dried out like that? Can anyone explain?

The Eiswoog is 1046 ft wide* (at its widest point West to East) and about 2500 ft long (N to S) with some minor rivers flowing out for another couple hundred ft. (8 Hektar) (Google Maps)

Of course I took some pictures with my phone:

And here's the Wiki to the lake with picutre how it looked before

Wikipedia Link

Any suggestions?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Now that is odd.

I would say the wind blew the water away and that's why it's been so windy and cold, but I think that's a bit too far fetched.

Nice find

S&F

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Very strange if true. Can anyone else verify that this is definitely Der Eiswoog? Do you have any additional photo's. Always skeptical

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Possibly a dam broke? If there were heavy rains that could easily break a dam causing the water to flow out overnight. Hire some beavers, your lake will be back in no time.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

The building on the wiki page is the same building as the first photo.. as for the story.. strange indeed where does a lake go in one night? Draught in the area at all? Course that would take a little longer..

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Either you follow the Wikipedia Link i posted or otherwise I would have to save the pic from wikipedia upload it here and then post it :S

link   
reply to post by Anim8tr

Could this be related to the so called volcano that may erupt? There was a thread here on ats yesterday?
here

link   

from the link you can see that it is definitely the same lake. first pic scroll over and see the train track and building.

link   
I used to spend most of my childhood's weekends where we had trailer near a big lake. This was also in Germany, by the way.

I remember, one day we went there and the whole lake was "drained", it looked very much like on your picture.

Thinking back, i don't even know that it's possible to "drain" a lake as if there'd be a plug somewhere (and this was really a BIG lake!) - but obviously there must be a way. Not sure whether it was something natural or whether the owners of the lake drained it for whatever purpose.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
If all the water has been removed, its taken all the animal life in it? Which makes me think perhaps it just dried up and no-one noticed.
Sometimes when you live right on top of something, it takes a while to notice that something is different, and the animals in the river would have moved on as the water level dropped

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

The building and bridge in the background should help identify it.

At OP, wasn't there a Supervolc in Germany that was noted in another thread (sorry don't have link)? Hopefully there is no connection, but if the source of your lake is anywhere near where that possible supervolc is, then there could be a BIG problem???

NOT fearmongering!!! Just posing real questions as it is NOT normal for a lake to disappear in one night!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Hero Protagonist

I got another link to Google Maps showing theres no dam

Google Maps Eiswoog

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Could it have anything to do with volcanic activity?
There was a thread about a German volcano a few days ago......is the area anywhere near one?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Anim8tr

I know this has happened elsewhere in the world and the usually blame it on underground caverns. While looking at the photos I noticed no fish. I would think if that were the case there would be fish laying around. Strange indeed... Where there any fish?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I found a site which translated seems to suggest they drain it into the Rhine? Is that a river? Is that nearby?

www.economypoint.org...

EDIT: Aha! Eiswoog is a reservoir and does have a damn, there is your answer!

Eiswoog reservoir; at the far end the hotel on top of the Eiswoog dam can be seen; above the hotel, a section of the Eisbach Valley Viaduct is visible

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 4/1/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by witchof43

I did not see any fish, although it was a favorable spot for fishers. I can't believe that didn't hit me before. The Rstaurant next to it acctually serves fish from the lake. They must be really disturbed now if this really didn't happen before or somehow did it on purpose.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
WoW lol awesome find kinda spooky tho is this the only lake or body of water in the proximity that this has happened to? Is it a water source, and last but not least was it a lake with a dam??? Sorry for all the questions but that's where I wld start u know always try to explain it logically to the best of ability till there are no answers except the unexplainable. I actually had this happen to my tank once we live in the country and there was massive Forrest fires I came home to about 6 inches of water in the bottom from like 7 foot I was freaked then I was told that the water chopper came and sucked it out lol I was pissed at first but it saved my house so I cld not have been any more thankful.... No I'm not saying that cld be the case for u especially while storming but figured u cld have a laugh well good luck and keep us updated please.

When I started typing a reply there was no replies guess I'm running a bit slow this morning lol sorry for same info that's already been stated bout a dam
edit on 4-1-2012 by M1FST91 because: while typing a reply someone already gave the same answer i gave sorry

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Did you say that there are rivers that run off? If so, the terrain of the lake/river can cause it to dry out a bit.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anim8tr

Either you follow the Wikipedia Link i posted or otherwise I would have to save the pic from wikipedia upload it here and then post it :S

Sorry, didn't realise I could scroll across

It is definitely Eiswoog then...

Is that part of Germany suffering a drought at the moment? Could the water have been pumped out to fill a reservoir? Maybe the inflowing river(s) were blocked or redirected? Very weird though as it is a large body of water.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

The Rhine is a river nearby yes, about 15 miles. The Eiswoog originates from the Rhine but they never seemed to drain it (I would need a testimony from the restaurant manager to prove this), since they said it never happened before. They also thought it was weird that there was a storm the night before.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join