It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think humans feel in the exact moment of death?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
There are many theories. None of us can say with certainty - even those who have had NDEs in my opinion - what happens at the moment of death.

Scientists now say that death is a process, rather than a singular, momentary event. They say it begins when the brain becomes deprived of oxygenated blood, involves the release of numerous neurotransmitters and other psychoactive substances into the brain, and concludes with total brain death, at which point there is no activity or functioning of the brain. But at what points consciousness, semi-consciousness, minimal consciousness, total lack of consciousness, and finally death occur, seems less well defined (at least to date.)

The spiritually, mystically, and religious oriented among us all have their own theories, some based on direct experiences. Common themes of course include the tunnel of white light, the exiting of the body, visions of deceased loved ones, etc. Others experience a sense of transcending time and space, seeing the totality of reality and existence in a wholistic way which for the first time makes complete sense and gives them peace of mind.

Some scientists would argue that all of these experiences are merely the human consciousness confronting its impending mortality and demise, causing it to rifle through its amassed experiences and information in an attempt to make sense of what is happening to it. The instinct to reject ones demise and cling to life is strong, after all, and there is a lot of literature and research to support that theory.

But ultimately... no one alive today knows with certainty what happens to us at death, whether it's the same for everyone, whether such reports and experiences are based on real experiences or flukes of neurology and emergent behavior, or whether we simply blink out of existence when brain activity ceases. I'm forced to be an agnostic, open-minded skeptic about the question. I don't know what happens at the moment of death, and without compelling evidence no one can convince me that they do for certain.

But I have had experiences of my own which lead me to at least be hopeful that something may await me beyond this existence. I won't know until it happens, though. And for all I know, I might never know anything ever again at that point.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I would have to say something akin to passing out, the tunnel-vision of blackness with the clear realization that one is dying.

Pain? Depends on the cause of death, although i have read that because of endorphins the body minimizes pain to a degree (although not sure how to prove this). The act of dying, painful to be sure, depending on cause, but that actual MOMENT when the life is actually lost..

I'd like to say it depends on the person. And even though not a religious person, but spiritual, i think how you lived and the type of person will determine whether you feel absolute horror as you die and your life surfaces, or a peaceful kind of "grace" and feeling that everything is fine.

I hope.

Or, it's just the tunnel vision blackness of passing out, realization of death, and then nothing.

Who can say but those who have passed and returned, and even they give different accounts, even if some give similar accounts (which could likely be due to having the expectation of something).

Those're my speculations.
edit on 5-1-2012 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Here's my take

You were on your way home when you died. It was a car accident. Nothing particularly remarkable, but fatal nonetheless. You left behind a wife and two children. It was a painless death. The EMTs tried their best to save you, but to no avail. Your body was so utterly shattered you were better off. Trust me.

And that's when you met me.

"What... what happened?" You asked. "Where am I?"

"You died," I said, matter-of-factly. No point mincing words.

"There was a...a truck and it was skidding..."

"Yup." I said.

"I... I died?"

"Yup. But don't feel bad about it. Everyone dies." I said.

You looked around. There was nothingness. Just you and me. "What is this place?" You asked.

"Is this the afterlife?"

"More or less," I said.

Are you god?" You asked.

"Yup." I replied. "I'm God."

"My kids... my wife," you said. "What about them? Will they be alright?"

"That's what I like to see," I said. "You just died and your main concern is for your family. That's good stuff right there."

You looked at me with fascination. To you, I didn't look like God. I just looked like some man. Some vague authority figure. More of a grammar school teacher then the almighty.

"Don't worry," I said. "They'll be fine. Your kids will remember you as perfect in every way.

They didn't have time to grow contempt for you. Your wife will cry on the outside, but will be secretly relieved. To be fair, your marriage was falling apart. If it's any consolation she'll feel very guilty for feeling relieved."

"Oh," you said. "So what happens now? Do I go to heaven or hell or something?"

"Neither," I said. "You'll be reincarnated."

"Ah, so the Hindus were right."

"All the religions are right in their own way," I said. "Walk with me." You followed along as we strolled in the void.

"Where are we going?"

"Nowhere in particular," I said. "It's just nice to walk while we talk."

"So whats the point, then?" You asked. "When I get reborn, I'll just be a blank slate right? A baby. So all my experiences and everything I did in this life won't matter."

"Not so!" I said. "You have within you all the knowledge and experiences of all your past lives. You just don't remember them right now."

I stopped walking and took you by the shoulders. "Your soul is more magnificent, beautiful, and gigantic then you can possibly imagine. A human mind can only contain a tiny fraction of what you are. It's like sticking your finger in a glass of water to see if it's hot or cold. You put a tiny part or yourself into the vessel, and when you bring it back out, you've gained all the experiences it had.

"You've been a human for the last 34 years, so you haven't stretched out yet and felt the rest of you immense consciousness. If we hung out here for longer, you'd start remembering everything. But there's no point doing that between each life."

"How many times have I been reincarnated, then?"

"Oh lots. Lots and lots. And into lots of different lives." I said. "This time around you'll be a Chinese peasant girl in 540 A.D."

"Wait, what?" You stammered. "You're sending me back in time?"

"Well, I guess technically. Time, as you know it, only exists in your universe. Things are different where I come from."

"Where you come from?" You pondered.

"Oh sure!" I explained. "I come from somewhere. Somewhere else. And there's others like me. I know you'll want to know what it's like there but you honestly wont understand."

"Oh." you said, a little let down. "But wait. If I get reincarnated to other places in time, could I have interacted with myself at some point?"

"Sure. Happens all the time. And with both lives only aware of their own time span you don't even know it's happening."

"So what's the point of it all?"

"Seriously?" I asked. "Seriously? You're asking me for the meaning of life? Isn't that a little stereotypical?"

"Well it's a reasonable question." you persisted.

I looked in your eyes. "The meaning of life, the reason I made this whole universe, is for you to mature."

"You mean mankind? You want us to mature?"

"No. Just you. I made this whole universe for you. With each new life you grow and mature, and become a larger and greater intellect."

"Just me? What about everyone else?"

"There is no one else," I said. "In this universe, there's just you. And me."

You stared blankly at me. "But all the people on earth..."

"All you. Different incarnations of you."

"Wait. I'm everyone!?"

"Now your getting it." I said, with a congratulatory slap on the back.

"I'm every human who ever lived?"

"Or who will ever live, yes."

"I'm Abraham Lincoln?"

"And you're John Wilkes Booth, too." I added.

"I'm Hitler?" you said, appalled.

"And you're the millions he killed."

"I'm Jesus?"

"And you're everyone who followed him."

You fell silent.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
continued

"Every time you victimized someone," I said, "You were victimizing yourself. Every act of kindness you've done, you've done to yourself. Every happy and sad moment ever experienced by any human was, or will be, experienced by you."

"Why?" You asked me. "Why do all this?"

"Because someday, you will become like me. Because that's what you are. You're one of my kind. You're my child."

"Whoa." you said, incredulous. "You mean I'm a god?"

"No. Not yet. You're a fetus. You're still growing. Once you've lived every human life throughout all time, you will have grown enough to be born."

"So the whole universe," you said. "It's just..."

"An egg of sorts." I answered. "Now it's time for you to move on to your next life." And I sent you on your way.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Someone earlier mentioned '___' experiences. I agree with him for the most part. I think we; shall I say get lost in transition. I personally hate the thought of dying. Yet I hope it is like a '___' experience and we find ourselves in the heaven's. As far as feelings go? I feel as though one of two things happen. 1. Feeling of relief in the soul. 2. Feeling of relaxation in the soul.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Some ponderings and/or responses:

Originally posted by woogleuk
Here is something I read recently, not sure if it was on here, or someones status message on Facebook, just in case it was the latter, I'll post it here as we are talking about the final moments.

They simply wrote:

"What if the light at the end of the tunnel is your mothers vagina?"

Funny picture image. I don't believe in reincarnation, but it reminded me of the movie: Being John Malkovich... strange movie.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by ArtOfTrance
............. I have read,people didnt even know they had died until they had seen themselves lying there,dead.For example maybe really drunk guy stumbles into a road and gets hit by a semi-truck......

I've read about this as well. It's probably the same for ppl who die in their sleep. That would be nice, as long as the guy, or I don’t feel like being squished like a bug for an instant.

Originally posted by OrphenFire
I have actually experienced what I think is death. It was frightening, but also serene. It felt like my essence was being rapidly drained from my body, like cutting open a water bed and having all of the water quickly flow out. Only the bed was my body and the water was my essence, or conscious self. It felt similar to passing out, only my consciousness didn't fade to black. Rather it transferred to an unknown venue. I have had a handful of these experiences in my life, and they all ended with me waking up. However, I was never dreaming. It felt as if I was suddenly returned to my body after dying, and my former memory of my own death slowly faded into obscurity. I have experienced it enough times to recall the sensations of death, though. These experiences are partly responsible for a theory of mine that we never truly die.

Edit: As far as my thought patterns at these moments of death, I remember thinking things like, "Oh my god, this is it. I'm about to die," or, "My life is about to end. I'm going to stop existing," etc. However, every time, I would just wake up at a later time as if nothing happened. I don't believe nonexistence can be experienced.

I've experienced what I think is something similar, once. I was lying on my bed at night and my body it seems all of a sudden turned to jelly or something... like you said, like a ripped open waterbed. Something like a sensation of having a casing on- like a sausage, and it all of a sudden melted off the top. Whatever was "holding me in" wasn't any longer. I prayed, and then things went back to normal. It was not frightening, just unique, unique, unique. I've not experienced it since then.
I've heard a statistic that 1/3 of the people who die were not expecting it. It's probably right in normal circumstances in society.
My friend died a couple of years ago. It went like this: He and his kinda girlfriend were waiting for the bus by a mall. His leg all of a sudden started to hurt. His girlfriend expressed concern and then went towards the mall to get some BenGay or something to that effect. As soon as she left, he could not stand any longer and laid on the sidewalk. She comes running back- namehere! namehere! Are you ok? He replies: "I'm fine, I'm just fine", and died. He was a Christian, so I'm sure that he had some kind of reassurance at that moment.
If you were (a good) God, and existed pretty much in a different, heavenly dimension- what would be the first thing that you might want to express to the ones following you? I would think that it would be: "You will be OK, with me, in the next life". If you have Jesus in your heart, you have that assurance that yes, everything will be OK when that moment comes.
I was pondering about that "moment of death" about a couple of months ago. I then picked up a Bible a day or so later and immediately read the verse:

26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
John 11:26
I believe it! It sounds like it will be a 'stepping out' of sorts, more than anything else.
I remember reading that when Jesus died on the cross, he said:

46 And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said, “Father, ‘into Your hands I commit My spirit.’” Having said this, He breathed His last.
Luke 23:46
So it would be nice if I/we get the chance to pray that - at that time. I seems like it would be a sense of some coordination/cooperation and control at least.

edit on 5/1/2012 by MarkJS because: general formatting only

edit on 5/1/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/1/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by benzanato

You need to stop talking to Yourself

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I dont know if this counts because i obviously didn't die for good. But I was pounced dead 3 times from a accident about 2 years ago and i remember what happen before i woke up in the hospital. When i finally realized what was happening to me my mind was racing what i remember alllll negative stuff, but it didn't bother me. I thought I'm going to die any second, and that didn't bother me. After that i couldn't really think anymore i was just their, i could hear things and my eyes where open a little, and it seemed like i was getting sleepier and sleepier, like i was finally getting a nap after being up for a week straight. I cant really explain what I felt, I think it's personal... All that spiritual stuff, but after that I have a weird thing with death. No more thoughts but feeling, a sh*tty , weird, surreal feeling. SO my thought on it is, before death your brain dies first, but that inner, feeling (spirit)? does not, and what you feel is just a reflection of how you live... mine was negativity, sadness and regret and all that good stuff... If i ever die again, i do not want to feel that way again. Was one of a few near death encounters but was the most vivid and important to me. Anyway this is my first reply to a thread so if its off the question mybad, just felt like sharing that.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Perhaps relief

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
intense fear, a feeling that everything is speeding up, faster and faster, oh my god oh my god, faster and faster, a deafening ringing, blinding light, and after what seems like a long time, the loud noise, which is more like white noise now, and the blinding light start to seem 'normal' as the sense of self disappears.

this is when everything gets hard to track because there is no sense of time.

an eternity goes by.

then, the next thing you remember, you're alive remembering what its like to die but you're too young to comprehend what it was or what it meant, let alone know how to communicate it in this world.

after forgetting about your experience by replacing it with all of these new memories and experiences, you are whats considered a normal human being until, you die.

and as you lay there you start to feel intense fear, a feeling that everything is speeding up, faster and faster...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by guitarplayer

Originally posted by andrewh7
reply to post by diamondsmith

Death is official when your heart stops beating. When your heart stops beating, your brain gets deprived of oxygen. Oxygen deprivation leads to brain damage - just like huffing chemicals. I'd imagine you get progressively more and more "high." This would lead to delusions, hallucinations and euphoria. Hence, we have the commonly reported white light, dead relatives, and peacefulness in the form of a "near death experience."

If all this is causes by lack of oxygen then how is it that they have weighed bodies that were alive and right after death they do not weigh the same which some conclude is evidence for the weight of the soul?

You've presented no evidence of this. What's your source? Show me one peer-reviewed scientific journal in which the weight of the soul is measured. After your death, your body starts to dry out and your digestive system continues to operate to some extent. If there's negligible weight loss shortly after death, it might be attributed to those facts. It's quite an unbelievable leap to say,"His weight dropped by a few ounces because we knew he was going to die in two minutes, so we weighed him, waited for him to die, and then weighed him again immediately after he died. His weight was off my an ounce, so obviously that ounce was a soul."

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows

Originally posted by andrewh7
reply to post by diamondsmith

Death is official when your heart stops beating. When your heart stops beating, your brain gets deprived of oxygen. Oxygen deprivation leads to brain damage - just like huffing chemicals. I'd imagine you get progressively more and more "high." This would lead to delusions, hallucinations and euphoria. Hence, we have the commonly reported white light, dead relatives, and peacefulness in the form of a "near death experience."

I thought death was official when there is no longer neuro functions in the brain.

When your heart stops, you're dead and you'll remain that way unless your heart is restarted by CPR or defib. "Brain death" is when you've been starved of oxygen so long that even if you are brought back, you're not going to regain consciousness. Depending on the extent of the damage to your brain, you may or may not be able to breathe on your own without a machine.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
When I see these sorts of questions I sometimes worry about how sick we as a race may be becoming, thinking about it is a little weird but you just know that out there somewhere there's a few people who would like to 'virtually' experience it, imagine if you will the film Brainstorm from 87?

Its a really good little sci fi with Christopher Walken and the now dead Natalie Wood where Walken creates a device that can 'video' tape your thought and feelings as you see and do them, at one point a member of the team has a heart attack and records this, what follows is the way to weaponise the device and the quest by Walken to 'feel' the last moments of the dead person.

Its a really good film, top effects and a good story..

Now being non religious and just going by science I'd say the human mind at the point of death is totally unaware of it happening simply because it happens too quickly to comprehend or the exact point of death is masked either by pain or loss of proper conciousness.

I'm not too sure what scans have shown of the electrical activity is of the brain at the point of body death and brain death, maybe they would give some pointers but I strongly believe that this "I saw the light at the tunnel" stuff is just a wishful lore perpetrated by peoples mental state, much like I believe many people who think they have been abducted by aliens are actually suffering from a breakdown in mental health, as a sufferer of mental health issues I can confirm the mind is a really nasty little tool against you!

Lets face it, the religious will never believe you just die, one way or the other you are going to a good or a bad place no matter what your religious following. I myself have just accept that I die, the brain and body gives up and I stop dead, literally.

Until some scientific data comes in then we have no choice but to believe that life and 'soul' stop there and then, I like others would wish for people like my mother that she had gone to a better place but its just the wish of her loving son.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   

]But there must be a kind of consciousness of the moment of death.

I reckon it's similiar horror-like feeling when one smokes 30mg of 5-meo-dmt:

"I placed approx. 30 mg of 5-MeO into a pipe, and smoked it, in one toke, without a second thought. An instant later, I was crawled up on my bed (in the fetal position) with my eyes closed, squirming around, screaming (in my head) '#! You killed yourself!' I repeated this several times, very fearful of death. I didn't see anything, while my eyes were shut, except for a bright white light, that which you see after staring at a bright light. The only other "vision" was one in my mind - I came to the realization that my life would be wasted if I died there. This showed me all of my scripts being discarded and nothing good happening ever again. It was a glimpse into my future, if I died. I concentrated on breathing and that helped me survive (mentally). I walked into the living room and placed a CD into the stereo, and as the first song started, my attention span disappeared, and I walked back into my bedroom. To my surprise, forty minutes had passed, in what I remembered as mere seconds. This scared me, thinking that maybe I had blacked out. I felt the effect for about an hour, it slowly faded away."

www.erowid.org...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Erowid archives contain excellent description of the effects of '___' on a human mind. Sometimes they're horrifying, sometimes they're blissful, but most trips appear to be highly spiritual and - in some cases - life changing experiences.

You'll find '___' related experiences here:

www.erowid.org...'___'.shtml

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

I'm brand new here. I was going to introduce myself but I can't quite figure out where to do so.

I think it is a release. I have heard it is the same feeling as the chemical '___' found in plants and used in shamanistic practice. I have lost many family members and i would like to think that they did not feel pain in the last moments of life. I look forward to taking that journey one day myself. Sadly we don't get to give concrete evidence to the people we leave behind.

M.N.B.C.G.M

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by another_lurker

That image will be burned into my brain forever. She found some sort of "peace" at her moment of death. (BTW, I am NOT religious in any way, shape or form."
She didn't suffer and that is very important,and because that image impressed you so much is a sign that maybe you must believe and have faith and we will not suffer in the moment of death.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by JackTheTripper

when one smokes 30mg of 5-meo-dmt
It's very hard to compare something like that with the feeling of death,I think that feeling could be amplified thousands of times.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by MIBcomeNgetME

I'm brand new here. I was going to introduce myself but I can't quite figure out where to do so.

I think it is a release. I have heard it is the same feeling as the chemical '___' found in plants and used in shamanistic practice. I have lost many family members and i would like to think that they did not feel pain in the last moments of life. I look forward to taking that journey one day myself. Sadly we don't get to give concrete evidence to the people we leave behind.

M.N.B.C.G.M

Welcome MIBcomeNget,and stay safe you have many joyful days here on Earth and ATS until that moment.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Jon Matthews

Erowid archives contain excellent description of the effects of '___' on a human mind. Sometimes they're horrifying, sometimes they're blissful, but most trips appear to be highly spiritual and - in some cases - life changing experiences. You'll find '___' related experiences here:
The experience in the real moment of death could be very different then those described in all those experiences,more intense.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join