It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Ipad can get you into the U.S? How's that for security?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
No this is not a bash on the U.S But this is a big border security issue I think. Or perhaps a wonder as to why have a security issue in the first place with such a close ally and neighbour

I lived in the U.S for two years in SoCal and I know there is a massive illegal immigration issue. This got my attention when I saw it and I have a feeling that had it happened down south the Ipad wouldn't have been enough but coming from Canada it worked.

A Canadian man who realised he had forgotten his passport as he approached the US border found a new way to gain entry - his iPad.

He told the officer he was heading to the US to drop off Christmas gifts for his friend's kids. He said that true story, the scanned passport and his driver's licence helped him get through last week.

I remember going into Canada on my Australian passport and getting through fast with a welcome to Canada you can now come and go as you please for the next 6 months and then waiting a while on the other side as my American friends had the breeze put up them because their drivers licences were Californian.
It seems now that the crossing is more strict but somehow relaxed if that makes sense.

Canadians began needing more than a driver's licence for identification for US land border crossings in 2009. US Customs and Border Protection says it only accepts a passport, an enhanced driver's licence or a Nexus pass from Canadian citizens entering at land crossings. The list doesn't mention facsimiles, like scans and photocopies.

Anyway the question on my mind is this. The U.S wants information on any person entering the U.S. Information, which is usually withheld under the privacy act, on your passport. That's a very strict and invading act of security. So why is an Ipad ok?

Another question I have is this. Aussies and Kiwis can pretty much come and go, live and work between our two countries and though we're geographically close we don't share a border. Why doesn't the U.S and Canada do the same? It's not the commonwealth thing because Brits and Canadians aren't allowed to just come and go and work and live in Aus like the Kiwis are. The U.S and Canada are English speaking western countries sharing a border. What's the problem?

news.ninemsn.com.au...
edit on 4-1-2012 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I got through to Canada with out any documentation besides my drivers license, was literally told "Next time make sure you bring your pass port" and on the way back in the same applied, except they just glanced at my license, this was about 3 years ago so post 911...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
I got through to Canada with out any documentation besides my drivers license, was literally told "Next time make sure you bring your pass port" and on the way back in the same applied, except they just glanced at my license, this was about 3 years ago so post 911...

yeah I know at least in 2005 all the U.S needed was the drivers licence but apparently they're supposed to be getting harder.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
you do realise they probaly had to check the passport number and match his face up with the one stored in the passport database to make sure its him. He didn't just show a scanned copy of a passport and there like "cool an iPad, oh yeah you can go, cool iPad BTW"

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by definity
you do realise they probaly had to check the passport number and match his face up with the one stored in the passport database to make sure its him. He didn't just show a scanned copy of a passport and there like "cool an iPad, oh yeah you can go, cool iPad BTW"

What's the process? Can they bring up a full photo and detailed copy of a person passport on a U.S database if the passport is from another country? Is the U.S plugged into the passport database of other countries? Hmm I'm not sure about that.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Perhaps it's a new App for the device that allows you to high res images of your documents and when you get tot the gate they can scan it from the tablet itself along the lines of smartphone paperless electronic boarding passes for planes! So that it's less documentation you have to travel with minimizing the risk of it being lost or stolen!
edit on 4-1-2012 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows

What's the process? Can they bring up a full photo and detailed copy of a person passport on a U.S database if the passport is from another country? Is the U.S plugged into the passport database of other countries? Hmm I'm not sure about that.

They covered this on the news tonight. The traveller said the border guard was gone for 5 minutes with the IPad, so they went and checked. There are Cdn guards there with the American guards, so maybe he verified it through the Cdn system.
The guard said the guy definitely had enough ID to prove who he was, just not the passport.
The US guards might also have access to our system, they've been sharing info lately.

**Also, up here, we've gotten used to carrying a crazy amount of ID. Whenever we do need to show it for something, we're asked for 3 pieces, one of them picture.
If you're young looking, you can't even buy cigarettes or a lighter without ID. Have to be 18 or over.
edit on 4-1-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Big deal go to Mexico and you can cross for not having anything. I`d prefer it be Canada we have open boarders with like this.
The ones coming through the boarder checks are not the ones that we need to worry on or is it? I know don`t trust anyone.

I think it`s only if you are trying to fly we need to molest you these days no matter where you are from it`s just the way it is, makes us feel safe.

And beware we are still watching you for suspicious activity be it thy friend, neighbor, preacher and even you Canadians we are conditioned to live this way now don`t you know..

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

Originally posted by steveknows

They covered this on the news tonight. The traveller said the border guard was gone for 5 minutes with the IPad, so they went and checked. There are Cdn guards there with the American guards, so maybe he verified it through the Cdn system.
The guard said the guy definitely had enough ID to prove who he was, just not the passport.
The US guards might also have access to our system, they've been sharing info lately.

**Also, up here, we've gotten used to carrying a crazy amount of ID. Whenever we do need to show it for something, we're asked for 3 pieces, one of them picture.
If you're young looking, you can't even buy cigarettes or a lighter without ID. Have to be 18 or over.
edit on 4-1-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

Now that would make sense if guards from both countires were working together in the same room..

As for the ciggarette thing it's the same hear in Aus you must be 18+ and have photo ID if you're young. Also ciggarettes are supposed to be hidden from view and now they're going into plain packaging. Another thing is the alcahol. I was buying beer from a bottle shop once and my daughter who's 18 was standing next to me and she had to show her ID or they wouldn't have sold me my beer.
edit on 4-1-2012 by steveknows because: typo

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connman
Big deal go to Mexico and you can cross for not having anything. I`d prefer it be Canada we have open boarders with like this.
The ones coming through the boarder checks are not the ones that we need to worry on or is it? I know don`t trust anyone.

I think it`s only if you are trying to fly we need to molest you these days no matter where you are from it`s just the way it is, makes us feel safe.

And beware we are still watching you for suspicious activity be it thy friend, neighbor, preacher and even you Canadians we are conditioned to live this way now don`t you know..

Yeah I know. The first time I went to mexico through Baja and I had to actually go and find some one to stamp my passport just so I could say I'd been there
Coming back into the U.S was a bit different though friendly.
edit on 4-1-2012 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

The border should be completely open between the US and Canada. Border stops cost millions in dollars of fuel each year for truck drivers. American and Canadian companies regularly have businesses that spread over entire urbanized regions like Seattle and Victoria. The exchange rate between US Dollars and Canadian Dollars is negligible (1 USD = 1.01583 CAD). The difference in culture is negligible, if any at all (Quebec is our Louisiana, but prouder). Canada is a first world country with a competent military that fully cooperates with the US Military in almost every facet, especially with things like NORAD. Plus there is NAFTA.
At this point it is like requiring a passport to travel between France and Spain or Scotland and England or even between Pennsylvania and New York.
edit on 1/4/2012 by SG-17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SG-17
reply to post by steveknows

The border should be completely open between the US and Canada.

Or perhaps just between the U.S and Canadian citizens. I've seen with my own eyes that alot of Mexicans are settling up around New York state and It would be anyones guess as to whether or not they're allowed to be in the country.

edit on 4-1-2012 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

top topics

join