It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Defends “Occupy” Song For 8-year-olds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Sing it with me.......

Some people have it all But they still don’t think they have enough They want more money A faster ride They’re not content Never satisfied Yes — they’re the 1 percent I used to be one of the 1 percent I worked all the time Never saw my family Couldn’t make life rhyme Then the bubble burst It really, really hurt I lost my money Lost my pride Lost my home Now I’m part of the 99.........

Questions raised........

“They’re actually claiming third-grade children wrote these lyrics and chose the topic as well,” Weasel Zippers wrote. “Because what eight-year-old child isn’t obsessed with class warfare?”

“We really don’t censor the topics that students come up with,” school spokesman Phil Giaramita told Fox News & Commentary. “This is the first time we’ve had the lyrics of one of these songs criticized.”

Giaramita said the song was part of a program sponsored by Kid Pan Alley. The boys and girls worked with a facilitator to come up with a theme and lyrics for a song. The songs are not allowed to promote any political or personal agenda.

School Defends “Occupy” Song For 8-year-olds

(Mods,searched but didnt see this posted anywhere.)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
This is absolutely crazy!! Time to homeschool the children...........

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

This is more politically pleasing to you?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

The only thing that would make this better is if it was at one of those Progressive schools where everyone gets a trophy, no letter grades, no failing, no contact sports, the word "winner" and "loser" are banned and recess is replaced with share your feelings time.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Not even..........

You cant even sing about Christmas in some schools nowadays,but this stuff you can? 3 graders?

NO 3rd grader wrote that song.

So they said no political agenda,or personal agenda.

How about Christ,God? Would they have had a problem with kids writing songs about that?

I am sure they would.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Really,you have to see all the lyrics

Crazy!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I was forced into Catholic schools. Much singing, hymns, etc. I would rather sing nothing than enforced indoctrination but I don't think occupy would qualify as that. I do see your point though.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
My 10 year old is an aspiring violinist.

You'd be surprised what an 8 or even 5 year old is capable of thinking.

I'm not saying they definitely wrote it with no direct suggestion from teachers and staff, only that it's possible. It's definitely something they would have heard about, and many parents would have explained it to their children in a sympathetic light. Kids go to school and uh..just like normal people they talk to each other and share ideas.

Could have been written by a clever 8 year old. =]

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Hears my version.....
99 kids are doing their own thing,1 of these kids isnt the same.............

Seriously,I hear ya,and my children are gifted also.But your going to tell me 99% of these kids wrote this song?

Theres an agenda here.

like.............

FOX6 in Milwaukee aired the video, earlier this week. In it, students could be seen clapping while protesters with a group called the “solidarity singers” belted out a modified version of “This Land Is Your Land.” The last verse includes the line, “Scott Walker will never push us out, this house was made for you and me.” Fox News According to Fox, the Portage School District this week released a letter of reprimand which was put in the file of the teacher chaperoning the trip. The teacher said he was “embarrassed” by the incident but insisted he did nothing wrong. The video and original story outraged many parents, and political leaders in Wisconsin.

W isconsin Teacher Reprimanded After Students Allowed to Protest Gov. Walker on Field Trip

Again,teacher says nothing wrong. Kids sang songs..........

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I am fully in support of this development. Children should recognise the tyranny of their overlords from the earliest possible age. After all, as we know, they have nothing to lose but their chains. As Comrade Stalin himself said, "Give me a child until he is five years old, and you may do what you like with him thereafter."

I would, however, suggest a slightly different song for these young Comrades; one which has been in use for many years, to apparently good effect.

Arise, you prisoners of starvation!
Arise, you wretched of the earth!
For justice thunders condemnation:
A better world's in birth!
No more tradition's chains shall bind us,
Arise you slaves, no more in thrall!
The earth shall rise on new foundations:
We have been nought, we shall be all!

'Tis the final conflict,
Let each stand in his place.
The international soviet
Shall be the human race
'Tis the final conflict,
Let each stand in his place.
The international working class.
Shall be the human race.

And so begins the final drama,
In the streets and in the fields.
We stand unbowed before their armour,
We defy their guns and shields!
When we fight, provoked by their aggression,
Let us be inspired by life and love.
For though they offer us concessions,
Change will not come from above!
So come brothers and sisters,
For the struggle carries on.
The Internationale,
Unites the world in song.
So comrades, come rally,
For this is the time and place!
The Internationale,
Unites the human race.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Is that before or after they sing that,that those children report their parents to a state funded gulag?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Public schools scare me for sure and this adds more fuel to my fire! Considering I have an 8 and 5 year old in public school and a 2 year old to follow.... I wish I could home school but it is not in my blood nor monetary means, but my dream would be a private type of school. Although I cannot afford a private school but I wish I could start one that would work for all incomes. Maybe volunteer work for reduced tuition with child care!

U.S. schools suck as a hole (not saying all of them) . But parents can take action...read and be a teacher to your kids and they will learn more from their elders then from school.School never taught me to: balance a check book, to pay myself first, to do simple home repairs (amazing how important this is), to think outside the box, to grow my own food and make my own clothes.... but my parents did!

Who cares about TV, the internet or cellphones a month after there is no frekin electricity! But growing bad ass tomatoes or other food, saving the seeds for next year and canning them would last a lifetime that everyone could use. History, science, geography, language, math,,,,, all are about life lessons if you really look at them.... past, present and future and the main message is to preserve:which means teach, share, protect, care for, conserve, save, defend, maintain, nurse, foster... hell you all get the idea right? It is natural to be prepared for the worse. Humans have been doing it for generations. Just recently we have forgotten the "Hard" lessons life can throw and still really everyone should be preparing for that time when NO help arrives and like me... no help is wanted.

But when we ever learn from our mistakes?
edit on 4-1-2012 by restlessinMT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by restlessinMT

De-brainwashing my kids is a everyday occurrence.

You are right,its up to the Parents though to teach their kids.I would want my kids to tell me if this was going on. I would have been at the school,letting the Principle have it.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by petrus4

Is that before or after they sing that,that those children report their parents to a state funded gulag?

Before, obviously. Enemies of the People must be reported as quickly as possible, so that they are given no chance to further their seditious work.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Come to think of it, however; if Occupy are being advocated in state-run school classrooms, what does that tell you about where Occupy itself originally comes from, hmmm?

Methinks the eye at the top of the pyramid is winking at us, here.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

That is the hard part. Getting my kids to tell me about their day at school. I do not understand but when I was a kid I had no problem telling my parents about my day but my kids stall and seem to stutter. I will find out about their school week from them days later. I do not know what it is but I have kept my same routine for 2 years of asking about their day while walking home from the bus (which usually works best and does not require much prompting) But by the time we reach the house.... all is gone and forgotten. My husband never hears much at dinner (by the time he is home from work) from any kid. They fight all the time. Lord back on subject... what do they do in public schools nowdays? Seems nothing like when I was a kid a couple decades ago..

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
To be honest, this just sounds like any school I've ever been to. As much as people say that you can't sing Christmas songs in schools anymore, and that's terrible ... its always been this way.

If it's not Christmas songs, it's something else. When I went to school I was told an awful lot of things that probably weren't the position of my my teachers to tell me or say. Also got some awkward front seats to debates about religion between rival RE teachers. There was a lot of things I shouldn't have seen or heard at school perhaps ... but that's real life and I think you have to prepare your children from it.

If you think your school is doing damage, just click a bunch of random web pages from google.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke
To be honest, this just sounds like any school I've ever been to. As much as people say that you can't sing Christmas songs in schools anymore, and that's terrible ... its always been this way.

Interesting point of view. Though I question it because in my time spent in the public school system nothing political or as poignant as what the OP was ever uttered.

Does this make my school unique? Make your school any less important? Not at all; but it shows that not ALL nor can you declare it "always been this way"....

edit on 4-1-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by sonnny1

This is more politically pleasing to you?

Hey, '___', Being young and foolish, I simply have to ask - WHY would either of these alternatives be "politically pleasing" to ANY ONE?

We're talking grade school kids here. Politics is not a proper curriculum item for them. Teaching kids that young, whose minds are impressionable and malleable political things is NOT "teaching", it is INDOCTRINATION. If a parent want to indoctrinate their kids in some way, that is the parent's responsibility - NOT the school board.

Politics have nothing to do with reading, writing, or ciphering. Everything beyond those at that age is indoctrination.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by sonnny1

I was forced into Catholic schools. Much singing, hymns, etc. I would rather sing nothing than enforced indoctrination but I don't think occupy would qualify as that. I do see your point though.

Why would Occupy politics not be politics, but Obama's politics, Bush's politics, The Green party, Republican Party, Democrat Party, Libertairian Party, etc platforms all be politics? What would make the one "political indoctrination", and the other "just songs"?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join