It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's a New Volcano to Worry About, and This Time It's in the USA - Mount Cleveland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Source

As you know we're still in the first week of the new year, but there's already a brand new volcano - complete with ash-cloud potential - getting ready to wreak havoc on air travel. Unlike the volcanoes over in Europe or down in South America, this one's a little closer to home, and it's a heck of a lot easier to pronounce.

Mount Cleveland - just rolls off the tongue - is located within the Aleutian Islands off the coast of Alaska, and scientists believe that it's getting ready to celebrate 2012 by starting to shake, rattle, and roll. Just over a week ago there was a little volcano hiccup that sent a whole bunch of ash and other particulate into the skies, but things quickly dissipated and flights weren't really affected. The concern still remains, as the tippy top of the volcano is right in the way of one of the main commercial flight paths between North America and Asia.

The initial eruption - if you can even call it that - only sent stuff up into the air to around 15,000 feet. Since most planes do their thing at 30,000 feet or above it wasn't that big of a deal. So for right now your flights over the Pacific and onto Asia are safe and sound, but it's just a reminder that Mother Nature can change your vacation or travel plans if she's having a bad day.

Well, here's some great news to brighten your day.

It will be interesting as the placement of this volcano will interrupt a lot of travel in North America if it were to blow it's top. And the fact that it's rumbling and letting us know it's there is just a little concerning.

I wanted to share this with all of you, just so if anyone has any vacation plans they should keep an eye on this one.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
It seems either earthquake and volcanic activity is increasing, or we are noticing more instances that have always been there.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
It is not a volcano to worry about.

It is one of several in that area of Alaska, and poses almost no threat to anyone accept a few researchers who might get caught in its blast if it goes sky high.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

I have only a vauge idea but the ash might disrupt some air traffic if it is positioned right
edit on 4-1-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

It's not that new though, is it...

www.avo.alaska.edu...

It erupted 3 times in 2009, twice in 2010 and once in 2011.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I totally thought something was going down in Cleveland, Ohio. Wow. Silly me.

top topics

join