It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Claims Walnuts to be Illegal Drugs | Government Lunacy at its Best

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Source

Well the Food and Drug Administration has really made a name for themselves this time. In response to claims by a company named Diamond Foods that walnuts possess health benefits, the FDA sent the company a letter informing them of their wrongdoing. What did Diamond Foods do wrong? According to the FDA, claims made by Diamond Foods that omega-3′s found in walnuts produce health benefits make their walnuts "drugs". As far as the FDA is concerned, these "drugs" can not be legally marketed in the United States without an approved new drug application.

FDA Actions Portray Government Lunacy at its Best

It seems bureaucratic tyranny is really taking shape in America. Despite 35 peer-reviewed published papers showing that walnuts improve vascular health and promote heart function being held in the US National Library of Medicine database, the FDA refuses to allow Diamond Foods to make such claims. The evidence revolving around the benefits of walnuts evidently must be authorized by the FDA before those benefits can even be marketed. A letter sent to the company from the FDA states:

"We have determined that your walnut products are promoted for conditions that cause them to be drugs because these products are intended for use in the prevention, mitigation, and treatment of disease."

Well, ummm...

So what do we do when Walnuts are illegal? Are we going to have dealers like we do now with drugs? Are the going to be gang wars on who they sell their walnuts too?

Sorry about that? This is ludicrous. Things are becoming more and more crazy as time goes by, but, this one is insane. I wanted to share it with all of you because, hopefully, you find it as insane as I do.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Its lunacy. Soon we will all have to carry around perscriptions to breath oxygen, since oxygen is considered a drug.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Too funny.

Like, really, what kind of drug can a walnut make?

I don't eat them anyway. Nasty.
edit on 3-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I cannot find a legitimate source to back this up.

I bought bags of shelled walnuts within the past two weeks. I don't think walnuts have been made illegal, but perhaps Diamond was reprimanded for labeling them as having health benefits. I believe Cheerios got the same treatment.

Any "source" I can actually find on this is a health foods or other natural living type site.

***ETA***

THE ACTUAL LETTER FROM THE FDA

www.fda.gov...

Product Label Further, your "Diamond of California Shelled Walnut" product is misbranded under section 403(r)(1)(B) of the Act [21 U.S.C. § 343(r)(1)(B)] in that your product bears health claims that are not authorized by the FDA. The front and back of your product label bears the phrase "OMEGA 3 2.5 g per serving." Within the context of this label, the heart symbols adjacent to information about the amount of omega-3 in the product, constitute implied health claims about consumption of omega-3 and a reduced risk of coronary heart disease [21 CFR 101. 14(a)]. The back of your product label also bears the following statement: "The omega-3 in walnuts can help you get the proper balance of fatty acids your body needs for promoting and maintaining heart health. In fact, according to the Food and Drug Administration, supportive but not conclusive research shows that eating 1.5 oz of walnuts per day, as part of a low saturated fat and low cholesterol diet, and not resulting in increased caloric intake, may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. Please refer to nutrition information for fat content and other details about the nutritional profile of walnuts." Although FDA exercises enforcement discretion over the last two sentences of this statement, which meet the criteria for a qualified health claim for walnuts and coronary heart disease, the last two sentences read in conjunction with the first sentence makes the entire statement an unauthorized health claim. The statement suggests that the evidence supporting a relationship between walnuts and coronary heart disease is related to the omega-3 fatty acid content of walnuts. There is not sufficient evidence to identify a biologically active substance in walnuts that reduces the risk of CHD. Therefore, the above statement is an unauthorized health claim. This letter is not intended to be an inclusive review of your products and their labeling. It is your responsibility to ensure that all of your products comply with the Act and its implementing regulations. You should take prompt action to correct these violations. Failure to do so may result in regulatory action without further notice. Such action may include, but is not limited to, seizure or injunction. Please respond in writing within 15 working days from your receipt of this letter. Your response should outline the specific actions you are taking to correct these violations and to prevent similar violations. You should include in your response documentation such as revised labels or other useful information that would assist us in evaluating your corrections. If you cannot complete all corrections before you respond, we expect that you will explain the reason for the delay and state when you will correct any remaining violations.

Sensationalist nonsense - the FDA is telling Diamond Foods to correct the label on their product because there is not sufficient evidence to support Diamond's claim that it lowers your risk of coronary heart disease.

"You can't believe everything you hear, the diegetic world is so unclear.."

Hey, at least the OP will get a ton of stars and flags - so it wasn't a complete waste of time!

edit on 3-1-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-1-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
It is not making them illegal. It is stopping them from promoting a health claim.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I ate a bag of them just yesterday (forgive me if I breached the T&Cs).

The FDA seems to attack anything that is natural and healthy. I seriously believe this is for one, or both, of the reasons below.

1. They deliberately want to make people sick so they can offer them safety in the form of pharmaceuticals.

2. They want to destroy the natural food market to create a food shortage so they can offer to save people with "safe" (GMO?) food that people normally wouldn't eat.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I have 5 walnut trees in my yard..

you get to jonesing..

Lemme know ..

we can cut a deal..

But seriously..

the FDA said this?..

I find that hard to believe...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Before I read this I didn't think walnuts were a drug.
Now, I realize just how stupid I have always been.
How could I have been so careless??

I agree with everything my government says and does and you should too.

Link

If they say walnuts are a drug then that can only mean one thing.......they are a drug!!

I love the Government of the United States.

Long live Obama.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Healthy eating habits = drug addicts?
They grow natural around here...I'm sitting on a gold mine!

Anybody here that needs their walnut fix just hit me up.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The founders of this country warned about letting the government get this much power, now look where we are... Guess I gotta stop snorting walnuts

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Last year I went shopping at my local grocery chain, and I noticed the labelling when I bought a package of walnuts. The thought occurred to me at the time "I wonder when the FDA will label this as a drug because of the claimed health benefits." Low and behold, here it is. I imagine that the FDA is just going to require them to relabel all of their stock. If that's the case, you can be sure the price of walnuts will be skyrocketing. I even thought about emailing the company to tell them about their labelling, now I kind of regret not doing so...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
at first i thought it was a typo, since nutmeg is the one which causes hallucinations, but this is crazy.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I thought about posting and sharing my outrage over this, but as fate would have it I just ate a small bag of walnuts and am now zonked and stoned beyond all imagination. I just can't think straight when I am stoned on walnuts.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Hey uhm..

Before we keep posting about walnuts being made illegal - we should read this post that proves they have not in fact been made illegal.

Some of the jokes are funny though!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Narcissous
at first i thought it was a typo, since nutmeg is the one which causes hallucinations, but this is crazy.

Crazy?
No, IMHO it is not crazy.
It is nuttier than a fruitcake!

If this story is true we are in trouble. They are doing everything in their power to stop us being healthy.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I think the FDA is nuts. Pun intended.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

agreed and good post(s)

Btw nutmeg can be found in whole form at many bulk food spots.

I suggest letting it soften in your mouth about a half hour, then chomp and crunch the completely legal nutmeg.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
OH i bet Hammonds walnut products in stockton missouri wont like to hear that, considering they're the largest producer of black walnut in the world

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join