It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada-US border crossed by man using iPad as ID

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk

A Canadian man who forgot his passport has said that he managed to cross the border into the US using a copy of the document he had scanned on to his iPad.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
WOW don't know what to make of this, is it good the US will let in people without a passport if they can prove who they are by using a I-pad or is it bad that the border control let a person in without a passport?
I do think the guy is right and one day we will not need passports.
Also good on the border control helping a guy out delivering his presents.
But he could of been a terrorist

www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I suppose if they checked the data base and it all checked and he had other proof like credit cards or a drivers licence,all the Mexicans will be showing up at your boarders with IPADS now lol

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Reply to post by boymonkey74

Oh jeezus chrisp, are you serious with this post? You must have hid under your bed back when the terror alerts were constantly being changed. Anywho, this is probably where society is headed anyway, paper is being used less and less. Yes he could have photoshoped the passport, but if a terrorist really wanted to get into any country they would find a way in somehow. Chillax. You will live longer.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

We are Canadians...

What exactly would we ever do? Convert you all to Hockey!!!!! Muahahaha

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
The border guard used wisdom, there is too much harassment of persons who are perfectly innocent. A real criminal could fake a passport anyway

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
extremely surprised that they made an exception and let him enter the u.s - their customs people can be a bugger to have to deal with ...
Be a long time yet before people will ever be able to travel freely without passports..

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I'm thinking that 2 things will come out of this:

1. Tighter security measures at the border.

2. A border guard just lost his job.

Peace

edit on 3-1-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
OK, this may not be as crazy as it sounds. The iPad scan would have had the passport ID number on it and the official could have keyed that number in and pulled up the passport on his computer just like the police can do with a driver license. Not really enough information on it to real know just what happened.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

www.bbc.co.uk

A Canadian man who forgot his passport has said that he managed to cross the border into the US using a copy of the document he had scanned on to his iPad.

Smart folk we got protecting our boarders! They know its impossible to make a digital image look like something it isnt on a computer screen/TV/pad screen, so knew he must have been telling the absolute truth if a totally non-manipulatable digital image confirmed his words

What a goof up whoever passed that guy. Perhaps in this instance it the person was telling the truth, but in the next, perhaps they wont be.

If a pathetic digital image is all thats needed to pass the boarder now... well I guess I wouldnt be surprised, because the government really doesnt care either way at this point.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

Dude look at the little guy winking after my comment about terrorists, I don't believe what the media/goverment tell us.
Also I agree with the post above, he may have caused some poor guy his job by making it all public.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
The border guards scan or type your passport number into their computer and make sure they get back the same document. So the guy's picture must have really looked like him, plus his other credentials checked out.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jerisa

We are Canadians...

Well we play serious hockey here in Minnesota. No conversion required. When I lived in Australia I was asked the kind of hockey I played. On ice or not. Frankly to me playing hockey on anything but ice should be a war crime. But thats me.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I've been using photoshop professionally for 20 years.
I could without a doubt create a document that you just could not tell it was fudged.

now then, if they actually checked /ran the info on the guys ID, then t iPad as a tool is fine.
it's all about the validation right?

-what fixer said. read post after I posted.

edit on 1/3/2012 by zooplancton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
OK, this may not be as crazy as it sounds. The iPad scan would have had the passport ID number on it and the official could have keyed that number in and pulled up the passport on his computer just like the police can do with a driver license. Not really enough information on it to real know just what happened.

Ding ding ding! And we have a winner.
This is most likely the exact scenario.

A similar story has happened to me before. I accidentally left my wallet at home on the way to work and got pulled over on the way. No license...but I happen to have my DL# memorized and was able to give it to the cop. He ran the number, matched my name and I was offf....no ticket as well.

The paper that a license is printed on is much less a valuable tool than the number in the database. However i am not sure that this should become the standard practice just yet.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
i have never used a passport to cross canadian border and neither did dad. but then again we were bootlegging cigarettes back in the early 80s

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by arbiture

Originally posted by Jerisa

We are Canadians...

Well we play serious hockey here in Minnesota. No conversion required. When I lived in Australia I was asked the kind of hockey I played. On ice or not. Frankly to me playing hockey on anything but ice should be a war crime. But thats me.

Hockey without ice is LaCrosse, isn't it?
Sorry for the digression...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
If Canada protects who can get into that country and become citizens similar to us I don't think were going to get much of a threat from Canada... There like our brother.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
He must of also copied the, RFID Chip in his passport into his Ipad
alsso.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Good advice to keep a copy of your passport.

Makes it easier to replace if you lose it.

The number is the thing you need.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join