It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think your Windows "refresh" icon works on the Fire Hose page?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
My current Windows 7 "refresh" icon and earlier versions of Windows do not refresh the Fire Hose page. For a long time I assumed it did. But by accident I discovered that if I clicked to close the site (without logging off) and reopened it immediately there would be new threads listed. You can test this yourself. Work from the Fire Hose page to check out a few threads and then go back and check for additions. Usually there is no change, but sometimes one or two. Then close out the site completely, immediately call it up again and you will (probably) find several new threads that appeared in the space of about ten seconds, a sure sign that a simple "refresh" does not work or at least not very well.

I'm not really complaining here so much as to pass along a tip for better and quicker access to new threads..

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Yeh same thing happens with my windows 7 and the new topics section. doesnt happen all the time but enough to annoy the hell out of me.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Not well. Get google chrome it rocks! Instant updates on ATS I love it

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
Not well. Get google chrome it rocks! Instant updates on ATS I love it

I approve of this recommendation! Google Chrome will allow sites to function as designed and it is a huge performance increase over IE.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Personally, I would not get Google anything.
I guess that is a personal choice though,
somewhat like avoiding FB.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
My current Windows 7 "refresh" icon and earlier versions of Windows do not refresh the Fire Hose page. For a long time I assumed it did. But by accident I discovered that if I clicked to close the site (without logging off) and reopened it immediately there would be new threads listed. You can test this yourself. Work from the Fire Hose page to check out a few threads and then go back and check for additions. Usually there is no change, but sometimes one or two. Then close out the site completely, immediately call it up again and you will (probably) find several new threads that appeared in the space of about ten seconds, a sure sign that a simple "refresh" does not work or at least not very well.

I'm not really complaining here so much as to pass along a tip for better and quicker access to new threads..

I use Windows 7 , and it works perfectly fine , even more so when you click F5 on your keyboard for the page your viewing

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Windows is not a browser. Internet Explorer is.

For the record, I use IE mainly because I have always HAD to use IE for professional reasons, although I have Chrome and Safari installed as well, in case I need them for a client. I have never had any significant issues with IE that make it worse than any other browser.

BTW, IE works fine for me in the Firehose.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
It updates sometimes for me but I usually just close IE then bring it back up and everything is updated.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I accidentally downloaded google chrome when downloading something else and it restricted my web searches.Got rid of it real fast.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
works fine on android 2.3.7 with ucweb 8.0

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by rollin76
I accidentally downloaded google chrome when downloading something else and it restricted my web searches.Got rid of it real fast.

Silliest thing I have heard all day.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I've had that same problem since I joined ATS. Happens all the time. If I want to refresh the page for new topics I have to close it then come back in.I think it has to do with the fact that my girlfriend and I are both members and share the same IP adress. We both enter thru the same router, hence the same IP.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

Why is that?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rollin76

I usually use CTRL-F5; it refreshes the page and clears the cache at the same time. Never fails....

ETA: But I also use Firefox. I'm pretty sure it works with [nearly] all browsers, though.
edit on 1/3/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
Windows is not a browser. Internet Explorer is.

For the record, I use IE mainly because I have always HAD to use IE for professional reasons, although I have Chrome and Safari installed as well, in case I need them for a client. I have never had any significant issues with IE that make it worse than any other browser.

BTW, IE works fine for me in the Firehose.

Thanks for clearing that up, my folks still refer to Windows as a browser and no matter how many times I correct them they continue to refer to it incorrectly. I don't blame them, it's all foreign to them.

I do web development for a living so I have 10 browsers installed on my dev machine in order to test the code's behavior in as many environments as possible. I prefer chrome by leaps and bounds...I used to prefer firefox until their 4+ releases which seemed to make it sluggish and less convenient. (Firehose works perfectly fine for me in IE9 but I can't say anything for the earlier versions as I haven't browsed it as much on them)

My testing environment consists of:
-Firefox
-Chrome
-Internet Explorer
-Safari
-Opera
(The last 5 are only tested on about 50% of projects)
-Maxthon
-Avant
-Deepnet
-Flock
-Camino

Edit: If you ever experience a problem with any browser you can usually hit f5 to refresh the page which in turn makes a call to the server to update the list with the latest posts. Normally, assuming you are using a modern browser, ATS automatically updates the list for you using an AJAX call without the need for a refresh.
edit on 3-1-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join