It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 16 year old got his ASVAB score today...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroUnlmtd

Originally posted by locololo
...And he got a 92!!!!!
Hey, just felt like saying what i got on my asvab. I'm in happy happy moooood!!! I just curious for all the military vets on site, did i do good

asvab is at the 8th grade level, i'm not slandering it but i was in the army for 6 years and i remember when i took it myself and got a 98, doesn't make him a genius, just means he's smarter than an 8th grader.

Not true. That's very misleading. The ASVAB is a percentile score, not an absolute score. A 92 means he scored higher than 92% of the people who took the test. That includes everyone who takes the test, including not only high school graduates, but college graduates. The score does not equate to a grade level at all.

Now have your son take the DLAB: Defense Language Aptitude Battery. hat opens up even more opportunities.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Have you been paying attention lately? You really want to fight in the US military? You just sighed up to be apart of Satan's army.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ArrowsNV

Hey ArrowsNV,

I read what you said and I say TRUE TO THAT! when I was briefly in the army in '04 I was pulled aside and put in a little room

I had just finished High School, My final project for my AP Gov't class (Advance Placement, it gives college credits to highschool students) The project was a debate of Democratic/ Free Trade vs. a communist style government. So I needed books from borders and online items.

I was beaten and the left alone and a few other nasty things (not GITMO or Abu Garaffe but still sucked anyway) All for reading books like Marx's Manifesto or Lenin A-Z

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

You know why that is? Because a bitching Marine is a happy Marine lol.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroUnlmtd

asvab is at the 8th grade level, i'm not slandering it but i was in the army for 6 years and i remember when i took it myself and got a 98, doesn't make him a genius, just means he's smarter than an 8th grader.

No offense intended, Zero, but that's a pretty ignorant statement.

It means out of all 8th-graders nationally, he scored as good or better than 92% of them. Out of all his peers. It doesn't mean he's just smarter than and 8th grader, it means he's more proficient in these areas than almost everyone else in his age group.

That's nothing to sneer at, so think more before speaking next time and show respect.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The Navy was great for me. Navy Page old family photos

Occasionally had to wear a 45 or carry a shotgun on watch, not that much.

Mostly fixed broken electronics equipment and sailed the ship.

Ships are cool.

I loved it.

K
edit on 3-1-2012 by kawika because: added link

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
When I was in high school I got a 98 on mine.

I went through 4 years of JROTC and then 4 years of ROTC at my university. I was asked to drop-out and enlist every single semester that I was in college. Don't let them bait you with all of their "Join now and get free college later..." bulls#.

If you really want to go into the military, go through college first, do all 4 years of ROTC, and join the Air Force in their OTS.

I was in Linguistics before I got out and although my career options were near limitless, I always wonder what would have happened had I gone to officer school instead...

Oh and I am not sure if it is still that way now, but if you do go through college first and want to join the Air Force, I believe they have an age limit of 27. Just something to keep in mind if you are going for multiple Masters or some such situation...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I'm guessing by reading your thread that you didn't do so hot in grammar did ya? J/K with a score like that you can do pretty much anything you want in the service. If you are in good shape, I would say try out for something in special ops. or cryptography, you can make a but load of money out of the service with that under your belt.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

I hsould also add the information that due to my father, i have perfect college and am going into ROTC to be an officer

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius
reply to post by ZeroUnlmtd

No offense intended, Zero, but that's a pretty ignorant statement.

It means out of all 8th-graders nationally, he scored as good or better than 92% of them. Out of all his peers. It doesn't mean he's just smarter than and 8th grader, it means he's more proficient in these areas than almost everyone else in his age group.

That's nothing to sneer at, so think more before speaking next time and show respect.

Nope. Not true. See my post above. This has NOTHING to do with the 8th grade. He scored better than 92% of anyone who took the test. You got the percentile part right, but you're just as wrong as the person you are criticizing.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
You're 16 and a guy. If you're pretty well built, get ready to have the military chomping at the bit to get hold of you. I had a friend make an 85 and actually had a military guy show up at his house and talk to his dad.

they'll do this stuff weather you score a 52 or a 92. but they will be at your house sooner and more often with a 92. If you show interest to a recruiter they will bug you to death to get you to sign. heck, I even got lunch out of a couple recruiters before I made my decision.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

Lol, I'll write down my individual scores later, sorta left them with friend. But I plan to do officer in engineering, even though i may move around a little.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

I technically already have a recuirter at my house lol. My father is already explaining how ROTC works and what I should do to make most money

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
You know why that is? Because a bitching Marine is a happy Marine lol.

Haha this reminded me of something else about the Marines (my personal pet peeve). The overuse of trend words in the Marines. Everything is "outstanding", and the word Marine is used almost every other word. "So Marines you think you're the best Marines the Marines have ever trained to be Marines? Well Marines be real Marines and show this Marines what a real Marine does to earn the title of Marine. MARINES!"

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Ah, thanks for clarifying, Schuyler. I was under the impression it was only issued to 16 year-olds each year as was the only time I've had experience with it - my mistake. Star for the correction.

(yeah, I'm going to stop talking now as I'm realizing how messed up my thoughts on this have been, remembering I didn't take it in 8th grade, thinking about it - lol)
edit on 1/3/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Juniors in highschool is the age not eighthgrade. They changed it to juniors while ago. And ya, it's juniors, and the other people of the USA that took it. Sorta good to have scored higher than 92% of the country, though i sense expectations coming lol

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Congrats, and get ready my young friend. Very soon the military will be knocking on your door, ringing your phone off the hook. I scored a 90 when I was a senior in high school, and the department of the Navy would not leave me alone, they wanted me to train in the nuclear field. I did not join afterall, but thats a choice that everyone has...good luck

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

Change every other "Marine" to Fu***r and you would have it right.

If you were there you would understand...if not you were probably in the Na**....

Semper Fi

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
reply to post by locololo

I knew guys who got 99's, and some later became "nukes" (working on nuclear subs and whatnot), and the rest went into military intelligence.

Congrats, you qualify for a lot of cool jobs in the US military because you scored so high!

Then again, think real hard about joining. If you do join, I recommend the US Coast Guard.
edit on 3-1-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

Don't listen to the puddle pirates, join the Air Force, they have the highest educational standards, and will take your education further. The US Air Force academy is the hardest to get into of all the branches. ( IF YOU REALLY WANT A CHALLENGING AND FUN JOB, LOOK INTO AIR FORCE T.A.C.P.) did it for a few years, and is very rewarding....

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Lol, I have my uncle threatening to kill me if I don't do the airforce. The rest of my family says army or marines. I say Army but though the job i want is "an insult" to my intelligence, no idea how to be honest, I think it would be nice job. I may change around thoughi n the future of course.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join