It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 16 year old got his ASVAB score today...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
...And he got a 92!!!!!
Hey, just felt like saying what i got on my asvab. I'm in happy happy moooood!!! I just curious for all the military vets on site, did i do good

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
great score. but run away from the military while you still have a chance, and both ur legs, lol.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
You're 16 and a guy. If you're pretty well built, get ready to have the military chomping at the bit to get hold of you. I had a friend make an 85 and actually had a military guy show up at his house and talk to his dad.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by locololo

You done good!

I'm not a vet, but I did rank in the 99th percentile and the Navy was kind enough to extend an offer for their nuclear program. In hindsight, I should have followed through more on trying to accept, but things got weird because I only have one kidney and the thought of joining the military somewhat scared me anyway...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Sweet. Remember me, camaro, in the future when im locked up in a NDAA Camp,come bail me out when your an officer!.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
That's the same score i got when i was 17.
Glad I'm not still enlisted tho.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
From personal experience I can tell you you'll probably have one of two things happen.

1) If you have superb grades and are in JROTC, you'll probably have recruiters up your ass about signing with their branch and throwing all sorts of 'exclusive' MOS's at you that the 'others' couldn't qualify for with their ASVAB score.

or

2) If you have decent (ie. Passing but not straight 'A', 4.0 GPA) grades, speak out against current USGovt Policies, or they know you visit ATS, you'll probably be treated like biohazardous waste and never be able to enlist.

You can only guess which end of the stick I got...

Oh and I got a 96 on mine.

Not tryin to be a downer, I seriously hope you get option #1, but just preparing you for what COULD happen. High ASVAB scores aren't the deciding factor. And there are reasons why they don't choose people with high scores.

They like people who don't question their orders and the logic behind them...

Besides all that I wish you the best of luck and hope you get to where you wanna go. And if you do get into the military and happen to go far, just remember that Oath they make you take. Please, for the rest of us...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Asvab is a combination of scores for different subjects. Call the Navy recruiter and tell them what you scored. If they want to put you in the Nuclear program , then that is a great score.

Old family Navy page, go Navy!

Digging through my old book looks like you beat my score, mine was 85.

my scores from 1982 (some of the format has changed)
AFQTN 85%
GS 22
AR 28
WK 35
PC 15
NO 34
CS 44
AS 25
MK 22
MC 25
EI 18
VE 50

edit on 3-1-2012 by kawika because: corectolated spel'n err

Examinees also receive a score on what is called the Armed Forces Qualification Test (AFQT). AFQT scores are computed using the Standard Scores from four ASVAB subtests: Arithmetic Reasoning (AR), Mathematics Knowledge (MK), Paragraph Comprehension (PC), and Word Knowledge (WK).

Interpreting ASVAB scores
edit on 3-1-2012 by kawika because: added link

PDF shows subjects
edit on 3-1-2012 by kawika because: added another link

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I knew guys who got 99's, and some later became "nukes" (working on nuclear subs and whatnot), and the rest went into military intelligence.

Congrats, you qualify for a lot of cool jobs in the US military because you scored so high!

Then again, think real hard about joining. If you do join, I recommend the US Coast Guard.
edit on 3-1-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

After living with my Colonol grandfather for 2 years, I intentionally tanked that test. In total I served six years in the military under his rule, and there was no way in hell I was going to join the thing that made him such evil scum.

Oh, and congratulations!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Ha! Navy came after me for their nuclear program too. Must've been a need at that point (Early 90s for me). That recruiter was a pushy S.O.B. Almost had me signing the dotted lines without talking to my parents or having time to think about it. Glad I didn't. If I did join, I'd rather it be the Army or N.G.
Anyway, think a lot on it, man. Once they got ya, they got ya!
But if you do go in, good luck and watch your butt.

ETA: I know lots of military and they are good guys. But things might start getting weird in coming years. Remember your oath to protect and defend the Constitution.
Otherwise, use the experience you gain to advance yourself. Aint nothing wrong with that!
edit on 3-1-2012 by pierregustavetoutant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

Ya, that's what i was. icbm , 2MO55

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

*grin* Club of '96 here. And yeah, the thought of selling my soul to uncle Sam even then...

And perhaps it's a just a vanity thing, but I saved the nice card nuclear coordinator Kosier sent me.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Yes he did very well, the ASVAB only goes to 99 (one percent margine of error on all test in US Gov't) so a 92 is very good. I think the only thing he CAN'T do in the service with a score like that is Nuclear engineer (94 is required).

But word from a guy who use to wear army boots and carry a gun (I never got into the habit of being called a soldier) always a civvi in uniform
is this.....

Being in the military is a GREAT thing, wasen't my thing I was out twice as fast as I went in, BUT if he joins, get a MOS (military office of service aka JOB) that can BE USEFUL on the outside I was 11 Bravo and after I left NO work for a groundpounding gun toteing GI. I know jobs are few and far ANYWHERE but ouch! Find a job the makes him happy, AND can use as a career OUTSIDE the military. Also I was army, I'd try the Airforce if I ever HAD to go back, Less BOOTCAMP more days off, NO Iraq foot patrols
though I never had to go thanks to a blood clot in my brain causing a seizure which led to my discharge.

Last note READ EVERTHING before you sign! I was going into Nursing, but my Sargent thought I was PERFECT for infantry (good shot errr SOME leadership skills
) and history shows when a person is sent into that job... He angered somebody haha good luck hope this helped.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by locololo
...And he got a 92!!!!!
Hey, just felt like saying what i got on my asvab. I'm in happy happy moooood!!! I just curious for all the military vets on site, did i do good

asvab is at the 8th grade level, i'm not slandering it but i was in the army for 6 years and i remember when i took it myself and got a 98, doesn't make him a genius, just means he's smarter than an 8th grader.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Great job man, you'd be amazed at what recruiters will do to get someone like that. However and speaking as a disabled vet DON'T DO IT! If you really feel the need then join the National Guard that makes it easier to turn down orders that are Unconstitutional. With a score like that you could probably do whatever you want in the civilian world.
Edit to add: TREAT RECRUITERS LIKE USED CAR SALESMAN, I remember seeing many people the first 2 weeks of boot camp that shouldn't have been anywhere near a uniform. I've known of a few people that score less than 100 on IQ tests join the military, it always ends badly for them.
edit on 3-1-2012 by Silverado292 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Stay away from the Marines. Everyone I know in the Corps absolutely hates it with a passion, even so much a few of them have messed up on purpose in order to get kicked out. They treat you like absolute # and give you outdated junk equipment.

Go Navy, Air Force, or even Army.
edit on 1/3/2012 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

That is a great score! For the US Army, maybe the rest of the military, a GT score of 110 qualifies you for every MOS. That is subject to a little bit of adjustment though. The line scores come into play for different jobs. It is possible to achieve a 110 but still have a line score in another section that disqualifies you from technical jobs, for example. But I believe you, being sixteen, can take the exam again at the actual time of enlistment. Thus giving you a chance to improve your score, so that you might have all doors open to you.
Congratulations!
edit on 3-1-2012 by dumschidt because: (no reason given)

link   
At age 16 I already knew I didn't want to join the military and took the test as fast as I could and guessed on everything and got a 4. I'm very happy too because I never had one recruit after my ass. In fact I scored so low they wouldn't even look for me in the event of a draft. Very proud of myself.

link   
i got a 92 too, but then i told the marines to f off because i was just using them to do my senior project hehe

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join