It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RFP (Request for Proposals) from Religious Leaders on ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Okay, I'm not getting very far in my search for religious "sense" here on ATS. I could spend the rest of my life and then some reading through sites that are linked, visionary revelations, reading every Holy book every published and ALL of its various revisions, editions, translations, etc., or works written by those who study these things and know their stuff.

In fact, I have read more volumes on the varieties of religious experience and tenets of faiths than I can count or recall.

I would love to be able to enroll in a school of theology and be taught by professors there, but I can't afford it.

So, I am inviting all who are open to it here, on ATS, to please consider this thread as an ATS member's version of a professional quality conference or convention (such as the World Religions Conference (see note and link below for more information), which I have never attended. I am listening. Give me your pitch, please. Please note, I may be the only audience member. I can't pay you, but I will listen with open ears to what you have to say from your own point of view as a credentialed leader in your faith, who has that faith's permission to recruit new followers and/or to address seekers.

I'll be interested to see if there are any religious leaders here on ATS that are up to the offer to deliver your best presentation as to why your faith is the one in which you have chosen to become a recognized leader.

This, like most (if not all) proposal requests is anonymous. You submit your case, I look at it (and anyone else who might want to gets to do that, too ), and I listen as I would to a professional's breakout session or keynote speech.

The World Religions Conference (WRC) is an multi-faith event which brings together well-known scholars from the world’s major religions to speak on a common topic from the point of view of their respective religious traditions. For thirty years, the WRC has served as an invaluable forum for different religious and ethnic communities to gather in the spirit of tolerance, peace, cooperation, and understanding. The WRC serves the noble purpose of educating members of the community regarding interesting and relevant topics by providing a platform where all major religions can pool their collective wisdom and teachings regarding the topic.

World Relgions Conference

I've no idea if I will be flamed straight to tears, or labelled as a ne'er-do-well pariah in this forum for even asking, or if my RFP will be honored with sincere offerings by leaders, bashed by the faithful followers who are not leaders, or hoodwinked. All of those are possible, I suppose, but I'm reportedly free to ask questions. So here goes.

I want to hear what any of the ATS members who are NOW or were FORMERLY religious LEADERS and/or RECRUITERS (not just members and practitioners) would tell me and others in a manner concordant with the way they have been taught to do so, and I want to hear it from them.

What do, or would, you say to someone who enters your open door or stops by your office or booth and says:

"What is your faith about, and what does it have to offer me? Is your faith the best one for me?"

Sincerely and humbly (also nervously),
wildtimes

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

You do realize that if the Apostle Paul was alive today he would not fit your criteria to respond to you and most likely would not be allowed to preach from many pulpits in Christianity ? That is all I have to say for now but am interested in watching your thread to hear any and all responses ....peace

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

I do, and I know there are many who are their own "leader", that is, solitary spreaders of their word. I know also that some are not allowed to "recruit" or "encourage" others to join their faith. Nevertheless, even a Solitary High Priestess such as I used to consider myself, would be, in my mind, a credentialed leader, if they have undergone study from someone they sought out as a "master" and "teacher."

I'm interested to see if anyone responds, too, and thanks for responding with your own interest!
--wt

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Okay, I'm not getting very far in my search for religious "sense" here on ATS.

S&F

That's terrific news Wildtimes!!! It's because "religion" DOESN'T make any sense. Reject "religion", seek a personal relationship with the Living Savior.

"Religion" VS "Redemption"

I would love to be able to enroll in a school of theology and be taught by professors there, but I can't afford it.

You don't need to, you can start with a book on "Systematic Theology". Every pastor has a copy or several on the shelves of their study.

edit on 3-1-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Well, NOTur, coming from you a star and flag is really unexpected!!

So, you are not a "Christian"? Because, Christianity is a religion. It has leaders, and a book.
But okay, I'm glad I gave you some fantastic news! And, I'll continue on my path to the truth!!
Thanks for the encouragement!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Well, NOTur, coming from you a star and flag is really unexpected!!

Aww, come on. I've starred your posts before.

So, you are not a "Christian"? Because, Christianity is a religion. It has leaders, and a book.

I think the world labels Christianity as a religion, but it's not. It's all about a relationship with Jesus as our personal Savior and Lord. You don't need a church to have that relationship with Him. Just simply talk to Him as you would confide in your own dad or best friend. He didn't come to make bad men good, He came to give dead men life. He desires a relationship with us, not a bunch of robots who are trying to keep more rules than the next church down the street.

Religion either makes people depressed because they realize they can't keep all the rules perfectly, or they become self-righteous pricks who look down on everyone else who don't keep all the rules that they do.

Now, with that said, there are people who call themselves "Christians" who practice "religion", yet that's not at all what Christ is about. He was probably the most anti-religious person to walk the face of the Earth.

But okay, I'm glad I gave you some fantastic news! And, I'll continue on my path to the truth!!
Thanks for the encouragement!

Yes, I'm encouraging you. In my line of faith it says that no man (woman in your case) seeks after God of their own volition. Just the fact that you're trying shows that God is drawing you to Himself. That's great news.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I think the world labels Christianity as a religion, but it's not. It's all about a relationship with Jesus as our personal Savior and Lord.

It's not? Well, okay, why is Jesus our personal Savior and Lord? I am quite clear that it is thought so by people who have run across Christianity, which is the religion that claims he is the Savior and Lord.

So, can you explain how he is the One, as opposed to what others might think?

EDIT TO ADD: Yep! I'm a front row student with hand always in the air. Always have been. And one of those students who says what I think and asks what I wonder about. It's a habit that has made me enemies, but hey, I gotta be me.
edit on 3-1-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I've thrown down the gauntlet, watch closely, the religious people will be here soon to condemn me for what I've said because I've attacked their idol of religion.

Just watch WT.

Edit: I've seen your Qs, let me get back to you, I want to give your Qs the time and attention they deserve and I've got to run for a few. Be back.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Here i am to attack you !!!

erm... oh wait you said religious people...

Nevermind... carry on

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Sorry for the break.

Well, okay, why is Jesus our personal Savior and Lord?

(Granted, I'll be taking the position of someone who believes Jesus is mankind's all-sufficient Savior and Redeemer.)

What I mean by "personal" Savior is I place my trust in Him to save me personally. Not a Savior in some general sense whereby He did His part but it wasn't enough, that we still need to complete some work that He couldn't do on the cross. That He and He alone did the work and deserves the entire glory for saving men.

Most people view Christianity as attending church, performing rituals, and/or not committing certain sins. That is NOT what Christianity is. True Christianity is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Accepting Jesus as your personal Savior means placing your own personal trust in Him to save me. No one is saved by the faith of others. No one is forgiven by doing certain works (deeds). The only way to be saved is to personally accept Him as your Savior, especially trusting in His death as the payment for your sins and His resurrection as your guarantee of eternal life.

It's become sort of a cliche, but John 3:16 beautifly illustrates this truth. Romans 10:9 lays out what a person must trust and it says they "will be" saved. Not "hope to be", not "probably will", not "stands a better than 50% chance to be" saved, but "WILL BE" saved. It's a definitive statement. Christ echoes this in John chapter 6 I believe. He says that those who place their trust in Him "already" posses eternal life.

I certainly don't have all the answers, I'm still learning. I view myself not as any type of authority whatsoever, just as one beggar trying to show other beggars where to find free bread.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Here i am to attack you !!!

erm... oh wait you said religious people...

Nevermind... carry on

I'm going to get my holy water and garlic.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Hey Ak!
So glad to see you!!
Don't go!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Gotcha. Thanks for your effort.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Gotcha. Thanks for your effort.

You're welcome. I'm respectfully trying, I'll be more than happy to try and seek an answer for anything else you may be curious about too. If I don't know I'll tell you that.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Well, boo.
Rats.

I figured there wasn't anyone who would come forward. But I'll watch for any body who does pop up. I was kinda expecting KennyD, though. Would've enjoyed reading his pitch.

Oh, well, I'm getting rather bored with the entire forum for now...like another member once told me it goes here at ATS: Lather, rinse, repeat.

But seriously....has anyone in these religion forums EVER been converted or convinced by someone else on ATS posting their opinions and fave links?

I'm guessing no on that one, too. It is entertaining and thought-provoking, nevertheless.

Cheers everybody!
--wt

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Not quite sure what you are wanting or planning, but your thread reminded me of this thing I did with another ATSer a couple years ago:

Republican08 Series I: Discussions with a Muslim

That was fun.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by babloyi

Well, I may well have reached too high. The title was deliberately worded so that professionals of post-graduate education would "get it". And RFP is a call for proposals to be a speaker or contributing editor to a professional body gathering. A compilation of the current professional practitioners...

I was HOPING that there might be some actively-practicing religious leaders who were members, maybe just lurking, but getting as frustrated as I was with reading the quite unappealing dogma being shoved around by the "meek" and "fanatic" followers.

Oh well!!
I can always go to some formal religious forum, but I'd miss ATS too much!!

So, back to the books!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I'm not sure you'd find a lot of religious leaders here on the ATS forums, but if you wish, or had some specific topic you wanted something written about, I'd be happy to help. As you may have seen from my previous post, I am (or at least would like to be
) a devout, practicing muslim, and I'd like to think I have a good grasp of the "theory"
edit on 4-1-2012 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by babloyi

Well, sure! Go ahead and lay it on me!!

I have some understanding of the Muslim tradition; I know it is younger than Christianity, and that its tenets include peace, tolerance, and not the "extremist" stuff that has been so widely spread as "the norm."

Still, I am interested to hear from you. I have tried, since 2001, to understand it better, and I do pay attention to the peaceful reassurances from those who practice it. I do not, however, know any personally.

By all means, I am interested.
I have two questions right off the bat:

Were you reared in the faith from birth?
and
Do you live in a country where it is the mainstream?

Enthusiastically,
wt

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I'll be more than happy to try and seek an answer for anything else you may be curious about too. If I don't know I'll tell you that.

It appears that you are, although I will give you a little feedback, if I may....
for you to say "That's great news Wildtimes!" gives me the knee-jerk feeling that you think you may have "saved" me, or that you get points for it (not including stars on ATS.)

That said,
okay, due to the dearth of participants....
how many different organized Christian churches are there as far as you know? I mean mainstream ones?
There are the ones of which I am aware:
Roman Catholic
Eastern Orthdox Catholic
Anglican/Episcopalian
Baptist, Southern Baptist
Methodist, Missouri Synod Methodist
Church of the Nazarene
Pentecostal
Presbyterian
"Christian" (as though they have the original to claim as their own)
Lutheran
RLDS, LDS

Then there are the smaller ones, too numerous to name, like the Good News Church, the Church of the Evangelist, Community of Christ, Christ Church, Journey Church, WorldRevival, and so forth and so on.....
too many to count. EDIT TO ADD, apparently there are 34,000 of them according to religioustolerance.org.

And, WHY? Why do some think they are "really" Christian and others are not?
And how on EARTH did you choose what you chose?

edit on 4-1-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join