It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"A Private Space Venture IS NOT POSSIBLE" Only Government can do it!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Some of you Private Capitalists people may think different. But my challenge to you if you think private enterprise is capable of sending Humans to outer space and to explore planets (cough) better than government, then prove to me that you are smarter than a box of rocks and that it can actually happen. I am not talking about Elon Musk of "SpaceX" who had help from NASA to get one off the ground. Or SpaceShipOne that hardly looks capable of suborbital flight let alone a trip to Mars. The Security nest of earth's gravity is a hard thing to overcome.

"Private Enterprise" is about making money, and unless there is money (easily to be had) in Space, then they are not going to go against their morals and invest time, money, resources, and the best engineering brain power to go to high powered engineering challenges. Look how long it took British Petroleum to clog up a spilling oil mess in the gulf and it was just oil leaking out of the ground, they created that problem and how long and hard it was for them to fix it! The Nazi's could have probably went to outer space in their own advanced buggys but that again is the Government of the Nazis. Unfortunately it took captured German engineers to realize our ability to go to the moon and our potential to perhaps explore Mars and the neighborhood stars. We need a new space program to rise out of the ashes like the Phoenix and capture the imagination.
edit on 3-1-2012 by MarkScheppy because: add

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
money is being made from space, where do you think all our TV satalites are.
As for making exploration a money making enterprise, only time will tell but we cant assume to know everything about are solar systems resources until we habit our solar system and take a look at these resources.
i think private space will work and is the only way humans will get to these stars.
edit on 3/1/2012 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
So what are you going to get at? Of course no private business will go into space to make money. Theres no one / thing in space to make money off of. You cant profit from going to space because I believe it cost anywhere from $10,000-15,000 to send ONE pound into space. Also you have to be very mentally stable to go into space to an extended amount of time because of the extreme isolation. Space isnt for profit, its for evolution.

Beside what was stated above such as satellites and such
edit on 3-1-2012 by BelowPublicKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Depends on which government.....

As was discussed in the Chinese space program thread not to long ago I think China would have a much easier time than say the US in space exploration. China would have less regulations and therefor could take more risks, for cheaper (due to basically slave labor). Human life wouldn't mean as much and if accidents happened there would not be the legal wall to slog through that would be built up if it were in a "western" country.

Of course that is just speculation/opinion.
Also if helium 3 becomes a legitimate fuel source I think you may see a lot more private sector businesses trying to mine the moon because there would be a ton of $$$$$$ in it.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkScheppy

You're both right and wrong.

The major customer of a private Space Corp. would be Gov't. Your average Joe would not be using their services to put up his own personal satellite.

Think about it.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Space Tourism.

Might not be viable in current economy with current technology levels, but give it a few years and we'll see...

The problem isn't really technology or money, its the TERRIBLE SECRET OF SPACE that they don't want you to find out...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I think private ventures would actually be more successful being as they will want to know exactly where their money is going and there will be less wasted resources this way. Government funded anything is a joke, people take advantage of it and wast taxpayer money on unnecessary things and time.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
What is the argument that is against sending humans to Mars because it is too expensive? So these satellites are benefitting our ability to explore other planets or part of the drone culture of a collapsing society?

A Mass strike is what is happening in the United States because we have been betrayed by the Satellites making money. We should go to Mars and "making money" from Satellites is not going to help us get there. This is a topic meant to talk about going to Mars and other planets, not advocating insanity policies of money. Nuclear power is what is needed to go to other planets and where do you hear that discussion taking place? Green energy and wind towers, riight.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I think ppl would pay good money for a trip in a spaceship going around the moon and back. Richard Branson's company Virgin is venturing into space with trips around the world. that will be the first steps for private sector space travel. a long way off tho i will add.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by avatar01
Space Tourism.

Might not be viable in current economy with current technology levels, but give it a few years and we'll see...

The problem isn't really technology or money, its the TERRIBLE SECRET OF SPACE that they don't want you to find out...

Terrible Secret?? Which is? The radiation?

Anyhow i agree with op insofar as that as long as there is no easy way to make money in space, private enterprises will find little reason to even go there and explore (except for sending up sattelites).

But rather than the op, i see an oppoortunity here: a challenge if you will: to find a way to MAKE money from space. With that incentive, i am sure alot of Space Enterprises would pop up like mushrooms, and we would be half-way to a
Star Trek kind of future.

Space tourism? That would be something, problem is it would be a really slow grind, considering the cost of sending people to space, not many people would be able to afford it. Maybe further on, with higher tech it would be cheaper and become more lucrative. But no, i think we need SOMETHING ELSE, to get us started. Mining minerals is pretty much out of the question, the only thing i could see is something that we could get from the environment which would be worth alot, and not easily gotten down here. Maybe some way to harvest the radiation?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Why can't government AND commercial industries do it?

I think its amazing that a few decades ago space travel was only conducted by nations, now, if you're considerably rich you can buy a seat on Virgin Galactic or hell, develop your own space program. The way I see it, why not have two avenues of advancement? The commercialization of space will happen eventually, and thats where the private companies will cash in. Whereas governmental exploration may continue like it always has. I can understand your point of commercial industries simply being incapable of reaching Mars, and frankly they are, but so are the existing governmental space agencies (NASA, ESA). With that being said, two avenues of progressment are better then one.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkScheppy
What is the argument that is against sending humans to Mars because it is too expensive? So these satellites are benefitting our ability to explore other planets or Richard Bransons Spaceship One, part of the drone culture of a collapsing society?

A Mass strike is what is happening in the United States because we have been betrayed by the Satellites making money. We should go to Mars and "making money" from Satellites is not going to help us get there. This is a topic meant to talk about going to Mars and other planets, not advocating insanity policies of money. Nuclear power is what is needed to go to other planets and where do you hear that discussion taking place? No idea where that talk is happening.

Hmmm....

I didn't get that in your OP.

Maybe a edit is in order?

But you are right, SpaceShipOne is a tourist vessel. Nothing more than a trip out and back.

Maybe they should but some thrusters on the ISS? A trip to Mars would pretty much require a large ship.

I say...If we go to Mars, let's go to stay.
edit on 3-1-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Hold on Virgin Galactic have already accepted payment to go on their space tourist thing, I heard it costs 250 k for a seat.
They have already accepted payment from 430 people and hopefully the first flight may be as early as this year.
If everything goes ok for them I reckon the cost will come down over the years and they will make money.
www.virgingalactic.com...

Is this just an anti space thread which I have noticed a few recently....

We have to go beyond our own planet and destroy all the others we come into contact with......Mahaha...Mahahhahahahhahaaaaa!
edit on 3-1-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
There are a lot more ways to make money in space than just from tourism. In fact....I would think at least initially tourism would be pretty low on the list.

I'm not saying we should, but we have exploited our planet for most of its natural resources already. Think of all of the other places there are with them. Think of meteors, asteroids planets, moons just in our solar system that have elements rarely if ever actually found on earth that are needed.

Even the less rare but valuable ones...say gold, titanium, uranium....the list goes on. Just because someone can't think of a reason private industry can make money in space doesn't mean they don't.

Furthermore.....researchers..including government officials from many countries would like "rides" to space. Why should we spend our tax dollars to build better rockets to break earths atmosphere when a private company can do it...and probably better.

The US government had to be involved initially. So did the Soviets, and the Chinese. But they will all give way a lot more quickly than any of us think to the private sector. At least for delivery to a destination there.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

What is the argument that is against sending humans to Mars because it is too expensive? So these satellites are benefitting our ability to explore other planets or Richard Bransons Spaceship One, part of the drone culture of a collapsing society?

A Mass strike is what is happening in the United States because we have been betrayed by the Satellites making money. We should go to Mars and "making money" from Satellites is not going to help us get there. This is a topic meant to talk about going to Mars and other planets, not advocating insanity policies of money. Nuclear power is what is needed to go to other planets and where do you hear that discussion taking place? No idea where that talk is happening.

Hmmm....

I didn't get that in your OP.

Maybe a edit is in order?

Sorry, I Edited there..

I don't think SpaceShip One will be a paving stone in the direction of Mars Exploration. Mars is where we should be going as Gene Cernan (of NASA) said, to make an intelligent directed approach to Mars. It might take a New Deal type of president to make this happen, but the last time we had such a president he was assassinated. So if you want to go to Mars it takes some balls to go Boldly, but a New Dark Age if we don't go to Mars.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

It may very well be a waste of time trying to prove to a bag of rocks that I am smarter than a box of rocks but it is worth posting in the off chance that actual thinking humans will read this thread and not a bunch of rocks. This absurd notion that only government can handle the development of space exploration, asteroid mining, and planet mining is often made, and often made by people who willfully ignore the fact that it was private individuals of private enterprise that designed, developed and built the automobile. It was private individuals who designed, developed and built the first airplanes. Indeed, the vast majority of modern day technology was developed by individuals of private enterprise. Given this, it is arguable that humanity's destiny of seeding the stars has only been hampered by the arrogant and oppressive governments who seek to monopolize space exploration.

Your dismissal of SpaceShipOne would be laughable if it weren't so tragically pathetic. Particularly since Virgin Galactic has all ready developed SpaceShipTwo and it is Richard Branson and the private enterprise of Virgin Galactic that has done this without taxing the crap out of people. Let me repeat that last remark in bold letters.

Richard Branson of Virgin Galactic has managed to create a space program without taxing the crap out of people!

Some day, the platinum, cobalt and other valuable elements from asteroids may even be returned to Earth for profit. At 1997 prices, a relatively small metallic asteroid with a diameter of 1.6 km (0.99 mi) contains more than 20 trillion US dollars worth of industrial and precious metals. In fact, all the gold, cobalt, iron, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, osmium, palladium, platinum, rhenium, rhodium, ruthenium, and tungsten that we now mine from the Earth's crust, and that are essential for economic and technological progress, came originally from the rain of asteroids that hit the Earth after the crust cooled.

en.wikipedia.org...

Where Wikipedia opines that "someday" a profit can be made on the virtually unlimited resources of space, I will now opine that no one outside of big overspending taxing governments will benefit from those resources until private individuals and their own private enterprises do what is necessary to do in order to move enterprise out into space. Government will not, just as government never has, mark the genius of humanity. Private individuals, just as they always have, will do that!

edit on 3-1-2012 by Jean Paul Zodeaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

We have to go beyond our own planet and destroy all the others we come into contact with......Mahaha...Mahahhahahahhahaaaaa!

Could a Richard Branson or Musk make a spaceship destined for Mars or Proxima Centauri? Perhaps they could in a hundred years (if lucky) whereas well-led government could do it in a fraction of the time and cost. The proof is in the pudding at NASA (a government agency) and that is facts not anti space or anti science. We need a high energy flux density to propel us to other planets and stars and I don't see Richard Branson or Elon Musk investing in such technologies. Unless you have some contradicting evidence that these 430 rich cornish people, are going to change the face of human culture. Branson is successful because he is immitating what government had already done. Like someone who tries to copy a work of art (a picasso or Michaelangelo.)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

You have no idea what your talking about.

Private companies built the first working plasma rocket engine that will get us to Mars, no NASA, the ESA or others, private companies.

www.cbc.ca...

Nautel Ltd. of Hacketts Cove has partnered with a Texas rocket company, Ad Astra, to build a radio-frequency amplifier for a new plasma rocket engine.

The radio waves from the amplifier heat gas, such as argon or xenon, into plasma as hot as the surface of the sun. The rocket then uses a series of magnets to propel the plasma out of the rocket at incredible speeds.

www.adastrarocket.com...

Former astronauts and capitalists spending private money to get us into space because Governments around the world aren't.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

At the risk of sounding "anti-space" can a private entrepeneur (like Branson or Musk) make a spaceship destined for Mars or Proxima Centauri? Perhaps in a hundred or two hundred years, wheras government could do it in a fraction of the cost and time. The proof is in the pudding at NASA (a government agency) and that is facts not anti space or anti science. We need a high energy flux density to propel us to other planets and stars and I don't see Richard Branson or Elon Musk investing in such technologies. Unless you have some contradicting evidence and these 430 rich cornish people, are going to change the face of human culture.

I assume you have a crystal ball too sir..

Well since you're so confident in Governments willfullness to explore space and develop new technologies maybe you can tell us why Obama cancelled Constellation and the planned trip to the mars, as well as virtually halting America's space program? Would you rather see Musk and Branson and they're respective companies deleted out of existence?

Come on, commercialized space is the future and every one knows it. Hand in hand privatized companies and government can share tech and propel us in to a new age, of course, this won't happen overnight. Rich corny people. can and HAVE changed the face of human culture.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I agree OP. Just entertain the idea that we, as citizens, pool our money
and buy a satellite. How about a recconasince satellite?
No one owns space right? Wrong.. Taking great
quality pictures of the earth for all to share is not gonna happen.
We are not allowed to see unaltered images of our own planet.
I would love to have real access to what is being hidden in satellite
images. And this is just one tiny area, where I know our Citizen
satellite would meet an untimely death. If it ever made it to launch.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join