It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Britons detained in Afghanistan

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

The only reason for removing serial numbers is to hide any chain of ownership for weapons to be used in criminal enterprises. It's more likely the weapons were to be used for attacks on government or western nationals to prolong our presence and justify the lucrative private security presence... maybe a few assassinations to be blamed on the Taliban as well. In other words, someones black-op got busted!

I really don't think that Afghanistan has any meaningful records of gun ownership. likely the numbers were removed to keep the source of the guns hidden. and i don't mean a source in Afghanistan but a source outside Afghanistan.

Israel and a number of other countries have weapons that were captured during other wars and have keep them in storage to give out to "friends"
the US had a warehouse full of weapons captured during Vietnam that they gave to groups like the contras in nicaragua. the russians would have known these weapons came from vietnam.

Its likely that the US built up another warehouse full from Iraq and who knows where these will show up.

Its also likely the British and other NATO countries that were in Iraq also kept captured weapons for future deniable use.
likely some weapons that turned up in the hands of Anti Iranian government groups came from one of these stockpiles.

One really strange thing is if you look up the highest serial number of any known AK47 and then you check the numbers of AK47s made in Russia you find that there were 10X the number of AKs made then there are AK serial numbers.
That means Russians had a lot of AKs with the same numbers.
What the Russians did was when they gave away AKs to foreign groups or countries they made new AKs with The numbers from the old weapons.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   

The only reason for removing serial numbers is to hide any chain of ownership for weapons to be used in criminal enterprises. It's more likely the weapons were to be used for attacks on government or western nationals to prolong our presence and justify the lucrative private security presence... maybe a few assassinations to be blamed on the Taliban as well. In other words, someones black-op got busted!

I really don't think that Afghanistan has any meaningful records of gun ownership. likely the numbers were removed to keep the source of the guns hidden. and i don't mean a source in Afghanistan but a source outside Afghanistan.

Israel and a number of other countries have weapons that were captured during other wars and have keep them in storage to give out to "friends"
the US had a warehouse full of weapons captured during Vietnam that they gave to groups like the contras in nicaragua. the russians would have known these weapons came from vietnam.

Its likely that the US built up another warehouse full from Iraq and who knows where these will show up.

Its also likely the British and other NATO countries that were in Iraq also kept captured weapons for future deniable use.
likely some weapons that turned up in the hands of Anti Iranian government groups came from one of these stockpiles.

One really strange thing is if you look up the highest serial number of any known AK47 and then you check the numbers of AK47s made in Russia you find that there were 10X the number of AKs made then there are AK serial numbers.
That means Russians had a lot of AKs with the same numbers.
What the Russians did was when they gave away AKs to foreign groups or countries they made new AKs with The numbers from the old weapons.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   

I doubt very much the weapons were bound for either Iran or Pakistan... they already have plenty of their own.

This certainly reminds me of the two British nationals arrested in Iraq early on in the conflict, dressed as locals and carrying explosives, weapons and comms gear in their car. As I remember, we flattened the jail to get them out before they could be moved or questioned, but not before their photos were splashed across foreign news media sites and the internet. Of course, the British government put a ban on their photos being shown in the UK.

Be interesting to see where this one goes though. Although I expect they may be handed over to the military and the matter will go away.
edit on 3-1-2012 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

Or as another alternative, it could simply be squaddies getting in on the act of weapons smuggling - latest reports from the UK show an ever increasing number of weapons seized that were brought back from Afghanistan or Iraq.

Personally though i think it is probably some Black Ops.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

This just in!

Two Canadians have just been detained smuggling maple syrup into the u.s.

It must be Russia, Pakistan, or Iran who were behind it

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
It seems the two Brits were employed by a 'private security firm' but it's still not clear how the weapons came into their posession and what their purpose was.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
It seems the two Brits were employed by a 'private security firm' but it's still not clear how the weapons came into their posession and what their purpose was.
www.bbc.co.uk...

The purpose is not clear, that's for sure, but the article does say:

Local police and intelligence officials said that the weapons were purchased on the black market.

Of course this "intelligence could certainly be flawed, I'm not believing a thing that comes out of anyone's mouth now days so I'm still not satisfied with their explanation.

The purpose of these guns is what interest me the most, but how the acquired them would also be good to know and help shed light on the situation.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

This just in!

Two Canadians have just been detained smuggling maple syrup into the u.s.

It must be Russia, Pakistan, or Iran who were behind it

I suggest locking them up with the evil Norwegian Butter Smugglers.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Well for a start, they are not MI6 or any other intelligence agency, or the BBC would not be covering this, i still believe its drug related, as Afghanistan has a massive drug trafficking problem, and if your looking to get large amounts of drugs out of the country, you need a armed force as you can't just fly out of Afghanistan, so this is were you would be looking to acquire weapons and vehicles and ammunition.
And the fact they were on the Jalalabad road, without doubt the most dangerous road in the world also traveling east, would suggest they were .ing to Nangarhar, the poppy capitol, were all the Opium cultivation takes place, enforces my belief, they were involved in drug trafficking.

EDIT:
Also to note, Karzai has ordered the end of private security firms operating in Afghanistan by march 2012, so its a grab to earn as much as you can before the march deadline coming up.
Only private security protecting foreign embassies in a enclose compound will be allowed to operate in Afghanistan under new laws, so the money tree in Afghanistan is over, and clearly mistakes are being made, like these 2 captured with there pants down.
edit on 4-1-2012 by TheMaverick because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join