It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to learn sign language

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
So I rent an apartment in a house and I am having new neighbors move in.One of the roommates is deaf. I would like to be able to communicate with him, but I only know 3 words in sign language. I think it would be a very good experience for my son as well.
The other roommate is an interpreter, but I would like to be able to communicate for myself.

I will say upfront that I cannot afford a penny for classes, I have to do this on my own and for free. How do I best go about learning this on my own? Can you recommend anything?

Is there anything I need to know?

Thanks for your advice!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
for free?
i think MITx might offer it on their free online coarse's for ALL.
i don't know if they have it or not but you can check it out.
LINK

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Hi, awesome thread OP. I too have always been interested in learning sign. I don't have any reasons, but have just been curious over the years. Plus it's always nice to be prepared for when you will need this skill. Thanks, and I hope someone comes along with some useful tips.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
ASL Pro is a great free web site that I have been using for a while. It has vidio clips along with a very large dictionary and list of frases. I highly recomend and it doesn't cost a penny.

www.aslpro.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
There are many sign language videos on youtube. Just go to youtube.com then type in *learn sign language*.

Here is just one of them.....

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I took sign language in high school and it is not hard at all! It just takes sometime. You can definitely find some free lessons on youtube. Just search "learn sign language for beginners."

Good luck!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jeenyus2008

I tell you what, I thought I would never have an opportunity either and then wham! lol

I did teach my son some as a baby, I think its an important developmental skill for them. Teaching them to communicate before they communicate.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Lets hope they are teaching the real thing and not making me say something like: I dance under purples lights in my glow in the dark underwear.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Thanks for the information everyone. Now does the signing pattern follow the same sentence structure I take it? It is a direct translation?

What do you do if you don't know a word?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I taught myself using the book "Signing Exact English". It's awesome, and so easy to use. I bet it's on Amazon.

If you don't know a word, you spell it using the sign alphabet.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

The grammer is differant than English. ASL originated in France and is slightly differant than other languages. There usually is no need for the use of "is" "and" "for", etc. The way the signs are placed together give the context. Usually, I belive, the object of the sentance is signed first than the the action, then the person. Like if you were to ask someone if they wanted some milk, you would sign "milk", then "want", then "you", all using an inquisitive expression. I believe the Yale web site has a few class transcripts posted which discuss syntax and grammer.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Joki42

That makes sense. If you translated word for word like using "the" it would take much longer to translate something into sign language. It is like shorthand.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by Joki42

That makes sense. If you translated word for word like using "the" it would take much longer to translate something into sign language. It is like shorthand.

Yes, you are right. My deaf friends use ASL signage.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Learning the useful skill of sign language - You need to include real life scenarios - be ready for all occasions. It is essential.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Check your local library out for free sign books.I still have the book
I bought when I thought my child was going deaf.Duh,check out any
web sites that might offer sign lessons.

new topics

top topics

join