It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Impossible Crystals are 'from space'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Impossible Crystals are 'from space'

www.bbc.co.uk

Examples of a crystal previously thought to be impossible in nature may have come from space, a study shows.

Quasicrystals have an unusual structure - in between those of crystals and glasses.

Until two years ago, quasicrystals had only been created in the lab - then geologists found them in rocks from Russia's Koryak mountains.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I don't know anything much about crystals nor why this is news worthy but the Israeli researcher who described the finding was awarded a Nobel prize.

Does anyone know if or why this could be useful or otherwise.

Seems to be lots of things can be present in meteorites, why was the guy frowned on for proposing this theory in the first place?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Article about the Nobel prize award.
www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 3-1-2012 by Threegirls because: Added another link

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
seems that they aren't formed by any natural process here on earth, good find.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Interesting find,

Maybe it came from a meteorite falling in to those mountains? Would like to learn more about this, always exciting to discover a new material.
edit on 3-1-2012 by heyitsphil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I think that the quasi-crystal formation came about due to crystalline material cooling in microgravity or something like that

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Threegirls

I remember hearing about this some time back......wait a minute...

Ridiculed crystal work wins Nobel for Israeli

There it is, maybe you'll find more info in there.

Peace

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Threegirls

Crystals are used for computers and can hold massive amount of information. The crystals used for electronics needs to be 100% flawless and are grown . The stuff they find in nature here have loads of impurities. Very interesting .But not very surprising the universe is still full of matter that we still have no clue about. Very naive of the scientific community and typical to ridicule some one who thinks observes things outside of their communities little box. Guess they will never stop burning anyone at the stake when someone observers that the earth isn't flat.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Moldavite is from space. It was formed when a giant comet hit the earth 15 million years ago. It makes sense that there would be other crystals formed from space debris.
Moldavite has excellent metaphysical properties.

edit on 3-1-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I was just reading about metals and crystals produced in micro-gravity aboard the shuttles and ISS. Below is a link to one article and a snippet.

semiconductor experiments in micro-gravity

Space is a critical laboratory for conducting this research. Most semiconductor components on Earth are formed by melting and then resolidifying the material into the desired form. Any perturbation, impurity, or irregularity in the solidified material can lead to a direct degradation of the performance and utility of the material. These impurities or irregularities are often the result of gravity-driven flows within the melted material, or other gravity-induced effects The formation of the solidified semiconductor material is extremely sensitive to the presence of gravity or other external forces.

In fact on previous flights, investigators have found that characteristics of the samples' growth were noticeably different, depending on factors like the orientation of the experiment with respect to the shuttle's orbit around the Earth. In other words, even the tiny residual gravitational forces due to the shuttle itself, the non-spherical shape of the Earth, movement by the crew and equipment inside the orbiter, thruster firings, and other effects produce noticeable manifestations in the solidified semiconductor material.

source: spacescience.spaceref.com...

It makes me think about what other exotic material that are abundant in space that has yet to be found and studied. It also makes me question some people's claims that aliens used the Earth as a mining colony for inferior products when space contains all the resources we have here and in most cases in a more pure and maybe a more exotic state.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Prof. Dan Shechtman 2011 Nobel Prize Chemistry Interview with ATS

Interview with Technion Distinguished Professor Dan Shechtman of the Faculty of Materials Engineering. Prof. Shechtman is the 2011 Nobel Laureate in Chemistry. Prof. Shechtman shares his story of discovery of a new form of matter. Film made by the American Technion Society.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Threegirls

I don't know anything much about crystals nor why this is news worthy but the Israeli researcher who described the finding was awarded a Nobel prize.

Well Edgar Fouche claims that qausicrystals have been used in the manufacture of the infamous TR3-B

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
All i want to know is are they worth alot of money if so i'm going to make a space miner woop et's arse and bring me back some money haha

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ROYALMARINE1987

Just go up and collect all that space junk... titanium, platinum, gold all refined. Weapons grade plutonium in the batteries... Make a fortune and clean up the mess to boot...

Not to mention all that secret tech

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

HA HA that's a lot of scrap metal to weigh in lol ill keep the solar panels for my solar farm lol.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The question is how to collect all that junk in a fuel efficent manner? I think it would require orbital or moon based "gas stations" which would be hard to do and hard to justify for a private entity at this time

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I am thinking a giant Roomba vacuum cleaner satellite.

They could put it in orbit and just move it around as needed to vacuum up the space junk.

When not in use they could store it in the closet on ISS

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
It was thought these irrational chrystals were odd and new, rather they are just very old apparently, older than earth. Exciting.

edit on 3-1-2012 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
reply to post by ROYALMARINE1987

Just go up and collect all that space junk... titanium, platinum, gold all refined. Weapons grade plutonium in the batteries... Make a fortune and clean up the mess to boot...

Not to mention all that secret tech

Perhaps Eagle 5 with Captain Lone Star and Barf could help clean up the mess

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Yeah I have some contacts in Russia... trying to see if they can dig me up a specimen or two

Odd thing though is that the specimens they show pictures of do not look like they fell from space.. no fusion marks on them like most meteorites

I needz one for my collection

What is interesting is that while the white part looks like quartz... the black and orange specks look like the stuff they brought back from the Moon

This will be fun tracking the stuff down to see if its just a few bits or part of a larger formation. Sudbury, Ont, Canada is a mining area that has most of the worlds nickel and cobalt. Turns out it is actually an asteroid impact area and the metals are from that space rock

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
Moldavite is from space. It was formed when a giant comet hit the earth 15 million years ago. It makes sense that there would be other crystals formed from space debris.
Moldavite has excellent metaphysical properties.

You are partly correct, moldavite is caused by a major impact, however the glass is terrestrial. It is the molten silica in the earth's crust, particular to the area where the impactor hit. The impact liquefies the silica sand and ejects it like shrapnel and it cools mid-air in odd green glass shapes. They are technically a type of tektite.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join