It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine faces 15 years behind bars for unknowingly violating gun law

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I have no sympathy...

For this Marine's stupidity, or the nurse from Tennessee... I have never seen any documentation on any website, or in print that would indicate that there is any reciprocity with the state of New York. In fact, in the city of New York they don't recognize a state of New York license unless a special validation has been granted (good luck getting that).

Plain and simple... New York does not recognize any out of state licenses.

New York (both city and state) have a bad habit of not recognizing out of state law enforcement credentials, even though it's a matter of Federal Law.

These incidents do nothing to help the cause of universal recognition by state to state cooperation or by federal mandate.

I travel more than anyone, and have never had an issue determining what state I can carry and under what circumstances... It's not that hard, and I've no issue with conflicting or inaccurate information.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Awww well good for you little miss sunshine, I'm so glad you're such a perfect flower! You're the model American citizen and everyone should be just like you because I KNOW you never make any mistakes, and you've never broken a law in your whooole life.

/sarcasm

As a Marine I can tell you after having your weapon on you day in and day out, 24/7 for months at a time, it's no longer separate from you. It's a part of you like an extra limb. When you get out you feel completely naked without a weapon which is why most ex military do own/carry weapons of their own. It was a mistake he made when he went out of town for business, and things like this should be taken into consideration. He asked where to check his weapon in at, he wasn't waving it around in people's faces or trying to sneak it by. A law is a law, I'm aware, but a possible 15 years for this? A mandatory 3.5 year sentence? For someone who doesn't have a criminal record and served his own country? That's just #ing ridiculous, and if you think otherwise then you're just as retarded as the NYPD has proven themselves to be.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Oh yeah, I forgot...the streets are a lot safer when people walk around with concealed weapons on them. :/

I'm glad I live in Scotland where hand guns are banned, and gun laws are very strict.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by HallamFoe

That's a retarded thing to say. If you ban guns, then the only people who have them are the ones who are criminals anyway....not the law abiding citizens who exercise their RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS to protect themselves.

That's also why Scotland has the 2nd highest murder rate in Europe, right?
edit on 3-1-2012 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by HallamFoe
Oh yeah, I forgot...the streets are a lot safer when people walk around with concealed weapons on them. :/

They are...

"Violent crime rates are highest overall in states with laws severely limiting or prohibiting the carrying of concealed firearms for self-defense". (FBI Uniform Crime Reports, 1992)

The total Violent Crime Rate is 26% higher in the restrictive states (798.3 per 100,000 pop.) than in the less restrictive states (631.6 per 100,000).

The Homicide Rate is 49% higher in the restrictive states (10.1 per 100,000) than in the states with less restrictive CCW laws (6.8 per 100,000).

The Robbery Rate is 58% higher in the restrictive states (289.7 per 100,000) than in the less restrictive states (183.1 per 100,000).

The Aggravated Assault Rate is 15% higher in the restrictive states (455.9 per 100,000) than in the less restrictive states (398.3 per 100,000).

Using FBI data (1992), homicide trends in the 17 states with less restrictive CCW laws compare favorably against national trends, and almost all CCW permittees are law-abiding.

Since adopting CCW (1987), Florida's homicide rate has fallen 21% while the U.S. rate has risen 12%. From start-up 10/1/87 - 2/28/94 (over 6 years) Florida issued 204,108 permits; only 17 (0.008%) were revoked because permittees later committed crimes (not necessarily violent) in which guns were present (not necessarily used).

I'll take downtown Miami over downtown Glasgow any day...

edit on 1/3/2012 by Mirthful Me because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by apodictic

Yeah and it would be a lot worse if handguns weren't banned. Since the ban on handguns after the Dunblane massacre in 1996, the murder rate has fallen 20%. Is that retarded?

Anyway, the United States Of America is the murder capital of the world if you count the illegal wars and the killing of thousands of innocent civilians. When will your country ever learn?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

No, that's actually proven to be false but you can go ahead and believe what you want. I would be a lot more cautious in who I assault not knowing if they have a weapon or not.

But then again this is coming from someone in what is said to be The most violent country in the developed world, so I take what you say with a grain of salt.

Oh, and no, Juarez, Mexico is considered the murder capital of the world. Although I'm not sure why you're attempting to turn this into an American bashing thread and bringing up war. Grow up a little, yeah?
edit on 3-1-2012 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

So you post an article that was written in 2005. An article published 5 years after this research. Research which involved telephone interviews. Haha! Must be really accurate:

"Have you ever been assaulted?"

"There was this one time a few years ago, where I got into a scuffle?"

"I'll just tick yes. Thanks for your time, sir."

The article doesn't even mention gun crime!

Here is a recent article conducted with proper research:

Scottish gun crime falls to 32-year low

Gun crime in Scotland has fallen to a 32-year low, according to the latest official figures.

The total number of offences involving firearms recorded by police across Scotland decreased by 24% between 2009-10 and 2010-11.

There were 154 shootings in which people were killed or injured last year, a drop of 28%.

I mean are we really THAT violent? No we're not. You only have to look at recent events to see that we're not...was Scotland involved in the riots in August 2011? No. Did our student protests turn violent compared to those in England? No.

Please come back to me when you have some actual information.

Oh and I wasn't trying to start an American bashing thread. I just said I'm glad I live in a country where hand guns are banned and gun laws are very strict. But then you said I was being retarded and then proceeded to detract the situation by posting what I see as false information about my country. I just retaliated by posting the truth.

So please don't patronise me. I think it's you and your country that needs to "grow up a little, yeah?"

edit on 3-1-2012 by HallamFoe because: grammar.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Carry reciprocity only covers law enforcement (active / retired) and a few other classes. Military is an exception while performing official functions. Just because you have a CCW in one state, does not mean its valid in another.

The Federal bill that covers law enforcement requires us to be in possession of our credential card and badge, and we are subject to the same restrictions the state places on their own CCW holders (IE if a building states no concealed firearms we aren't covered if we go into the building since we are not LEOS of that state.

There is a federal peaceable travels law that covers possession of firearms but its specific and most people aren't familiar with it. Even then it wont cover this or the 9/11 memorial issue.

By the way.. im fully in support of the peoples right to bear arms, including concealed, and I dont feel the states should be allowed to restrict that except when it comes to places like bars and the consumption of alcohol while in possession.

The second rule of gun ownership, after safety, is knowing the laws.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I understand how current permitting and reciprocity work. I have to have three different permits because none of the states I boarder save one has any reciprocity agreement with the others.

What I'm saying is that all this permitting nonsense and "everyone should know the laws" bull is all a load of crap that shouldnt be an issue in the first place.

No one was hurt. No one was in danger of being hurt. So in the eyes of any rational human being with a capacity to think above the typical 3rd grader the only "laws" that were broken are imaginary.

Governments, city state or federal, make up these non-crimes and subject us all to them. It's absurd. These crimes are obsolete like sodomy laws, segregation laws and witchcraft laws. They're a sad and broken attempt at pre-crime enforcement. The idea that anyone in posession of a gun is a criminal who hasnt yet acted. Or guilty until proven innocent. Innocence proven by complying with fees and paperwork.

It's all so ridiculous. And the idea that a human being could effectively lose years of his or her life for such nonsense is nauseating.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

There is a conspiracy/agenda here. I am reminded of this quote from Ayan Rand:

Did you really think we want those laws observed? said Dr. Ferris. We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be
much easier to deal with. ('Atlas Shrugged' 1957) [WMail Issue #23]

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

You mad because it goes against what your opinion of your country is? Point is, legal weapons = less crime. I wasn't talking about gun crimes only. I'm talking about assaults, robberies, the whole picture.

No reason to be so fearful of them unless you plan on doing something illegal...

You will very rarely EVER see someone who legally owns weapons go out and start killing people. Why? Because of the fact that they care about the law enough to even bother obtaining firearms legally in the first place. The people you worry about are the ones who get their weapons illegally, because they'll just break the law regardless. If you feel more comfortable not being able to protect yourself, good for you

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
these arrests are politically motivated and timed with NDAA.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LuxFestinus

That's a great quote.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

You know what? You're right actually. I'd love it if everyone owned a firearm, concealed it and then walked around in the streets that my children would grow up in. Love it. The fear would be really exciting. Then I would go and buy a gun to "protect" myself and my family. Then my children would do the same later in life. Would totally love it.

Joking aside though, you really need to get a grip of reality and listen to what you're saying!

Point is, legal weapons = less crime

Not true.

You will very rarely EVER see someone who legally owns weapons go out and start killing people. Why? Because of the fact that they care about the law enough to even bother obtaining firearms legally in the first place.

This is the most laughable. I'm quite sure it happens a lot..even if it is self defence. Guns are for killing people, whether obtained legally or not. You're also saying people with legally obtained weapons care more about the law? I don't understand. Are you saying that these people are more intelligent, trustworthy, socially adapt, more sane than criminals? If so then you are clearly deluded, and definitely not cut out for work as in criminal psychology. Must be something in the water where you live...

The people you worry about are the ones who get their weapons illegal

I would be uncomfortable with anyone who owned a firearm. Anything could happen.

If you feel more comfortable not being able to protect yourself, good for you

Protect myself from what? Baseball bat? Knife? Someone's fists? Nothing I can't handle. All guns are practically banned over here, remember?

So unless I get into a fight with a gamekeeper equipped with a hunting rifle in the Scottish Highlands or mugged by one of our soldiers in over in Afghanistan, I think I'm pretty safe.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Not true? Let me direct you to this post which you conveniently seemed to ignore. It's quite true, you're just still upset and trying to defend your opinion. I respect how willing you are to stand by your point, but there's a line between stubbornness and stupidity. You're getting mighty close to the edge.

It's funny you should bring up psychology. That's another reason that legal firearms are so effective as a deterrent. If you know that someone COULD be carrying a weapon, would you be more or less likely to mess with them as opposed to somewhere where owning a weapon is illegal and they will most likely be unarmed? What if they're open carrying and you see the weapon on their waist? Would you mess with them then? Or if you're being robbed at knife point and you flash your weapon, would you still rob them or back away?

LOL @ nothing you can't handle.

You're entitled to your opinion. I feel a lot safer here than I would in your country, I'll tell you that.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Well obviously banning guns isn't going to stop violence. It's all down to education as well. Looks like you guys aren't doing too well in that area, considering the overall statistics and your own opinion towards the matter. I mean you really don't get it. We're doing just fine over here in our gun free society, crime is falling. Anyway guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one for now. I can see us having good few healthy debates in the future though...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Actually our education system is pretty good depending on your location and if you have the money to make the most of it. Money is the biggest problem, but you can't really blame the people when you have a government like ours blowing money on god knows what.

Until we meet again.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Good reason to stay away from totalitarian states like New York.
If you aren't a communist weakling there, they see you as the enemy.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

Sounds like the city law "infringed" on his Second Amendment right "to keep and bear arms...."

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join