It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine faces 15 years behind bars for unknowingly violating gun law

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
How about poor TREY SCOTT ATWATER. Green beret from Fort Bragg. He got caught with two blocks of C4 explosives at a airport on New Years eve. Now come to find out he also got caught with a smoke gerenade in the same bag on Christmas eve. And Fort Bragg is the same base where almost 400 pounds of ammunition disappeared last month. Thats 14000 rounds. They also found a kid dead in car sunk in the lake at the base yesterday. Mot to count all of the drugs,guns,explosives and murders/unexplained deaths in the last month.

Fort Bragg does seem to keep showing up in the news.

Teen's body and a car found in lake on Fort Bragg
‎The Virginian-Pilot - 4 hours ago
AP Authorities say the body of a 17-year-old boy has been found in a lake on Fort Bragg. Base officials said emergency personnel were called about 8:15 pm ...

Fort Bragg man arrested in fatal campground fight
‎Santa Rosa Press Democrat - 1 hour ago
By RANDI ROSSMANN A fight at a Fort Bragg campground over the holiday weekend ended in murder, reported Mendocino County sheriff's officials. ..

REGIONAL: Fort Bragg man arrested for murder
‎Lake County News - 1 day ago
A Fort Bragg man has been arrested for murder following an early morning fight on New Year's Eve that claimed another man's life. ...

One person killed in collision on Fort Bragg; 7 others injured
‎Fayetteville Observer - 16 hours ago
One person died in a two-vehicle crash early Sunday on Fort Bragg, an official said. Ben Abel, a Fort Bragg spokesman, said eight of the nine people ...

Death of Fort Bragg soldier in Chapel Hill still under investigation
‎Fayetteville Observer - Dec 25, 2011
By James Halpin CHAPEL HILL - Police are continuing to investigate the death of a Fort Bragg soldier found in a Chapel Hill creek last month and say they ...

Fort Bragg man arrested for violating order; attacking woman
‎Santa Rosa Press Democrat - 5 days ago
A 42-year-old Fort Bragg man was jailed Tuesday after he violated a restraining order and attacked a former girlfriend, Mendocino County sheriff's officials ...

Fort Bragg soldier shot in Va. had BB gun
‎NBC17.com - Dec 22, 2011
The chase ended 2 miles away near mile marker 9 when the fleeing suspect, Robert L. Henderson III, 21, of Fort Bragg, NC, stopped in the right lane, ...

Fort Bragg soldier charged in apartment complex shootings
‎Fayetteville Observer - Dec 16, 2011
A Fort Bragg soldier has been charged with attempted murder in the shooting of two people and firing at three others as they fled a Fayetteville apartment ...

Ft. Bragg Soldier pleads guilty to stealing reconstruction funds ...
‎Examiner.com - Dec 23, 2011
According to the criminal information filed on October 12, 2011, WOOTEN was assigned to the 7th Special Forces Group based at Fort Bragg (See: ...

Fort Bragg MPs are busy this holiday season
‎Fayetteville Observer (blog) - Dec 20, 2011
This is the first year MPs on Fort Bragg have conducted an organized holiday visit, according to a spokesman. The MPs will again be from the 503rd MP ...

Bipolar GI liked manic feeling of his disorder
‎TheNewsTribune.com - 1 day ago
That soldier, who was not prosecuted for a crime, told investigators she last saw ... assignment to Fort Bragg, NC, and during his two deployments to Iraq. ...

Slain shooting suspect was Army soldier
‎Progress Index - Dec 20, 2011
Army officials at Fort Bragg confirmed Monday that Robert Henderson III, ... The investigation is on-going by the Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal ...

Soldier charged with drugs and assault, explosives also removed ...
‎Patch.com - Dec 16, 2011
The Army's Criminal Investigation Command removed explosives and military weapons from the ... By Kelly Twedell Police serving a Fort Bragg soldier with a ...

Ft. Bragg soldier just home from deployment kills wife, then self
‎NBC17.com - Dec 13, 2011
The investigation determined that 24-year-old Seth R. Andrews shot his wife, ... 26 and Nov. 29, according to information received by Fort Bragg.

patdollard.com...
Fort Bragg Missing Ammo Investigated
September 10th, 2011 (1) Posted By Pat Dollard.
A weapons vault at Fort Bragg
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (AP) – Officials at Fort Bragg say an investigation is under way into the disappearance of nearly 14,000 rounds of ammunition at the Army base.

Poor troops who served our country letting pesky state or federal laws get in there way of freedom.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

Edit: wrong person
edit on 3-1-2012 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

What's your point?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Reply to post by TXRabbit

He did check. Just got wrong info.

Checked what?

Did he go online to get correct info?

www.nyc.gov...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by apodictic

Returning vets need more help adjusting to civilian life after going through hell figting for this country. Same thing you would probly say if you are a Marine. And the currption that has been over looked by sponge criminal records just to get more people to serve also needs to be adjusted again now that the wars are coming to the end. Get rid of the gang bangers who are allowed to join who introduce a bad element to the armed forces.
edit on 3-1-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
totally his fault for not knowing the laws.

Hell, I don't even own a gun and I know not to bring one into NYC without (a) a permit and (b) checking in with local law-enforcement after obtaining (a).

The fact that he's a marine is irrelevant.

Yep. Ignorance of the law is never an excuse.

There is accurate information online.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Your first sentence is exactly what I was going to say. Vets need help. That it isn't entirely their fault. I just didn't know if you were being an ass or not about the Marine in the OP since it was obviously a mistake. At least he bothered asking where to check his gun and didn't try to hide it. He didn't have any malicious intent.
edit on 3-1-2012 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by apodictic

If they don't stop and check all people who break the law even troops the situation will grow worse. First its a smoke gerenade then its C4 explosives. Let the courts determine what was going on before ignoring what happened.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

That's what the article claims he did.

The online gun-law information Jerome read was inaccurate, however, and his late September arrest initiated what may become a protracted criminal saga. He hasn’t yet been indicted by a grand jury, but there may be little legal wiggle-room if he is.

Read more: dailycaller.com...

Besides, as Ive already said checking is irrelevant. You think if you get bunk info from a city clerk, cop or lawyer suddenly all the charges will just go away? Bloomberg himself could have told this guy he was okay to carry and if he got stopped he'd still be screwed.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Point of contention with the article headline: this guy is a FORMER marine, he is no longer on active duty.

It was his responsibility to know the law regarding conceal and carry in NYC, and again many buildings post NO CONCEALED WEAPONS signs at their entrance.

I have a hard time believing this guy was "unknowingly violating gun law[s]", if he had indeed gotten a concealed carry permit, he would have been instructed that it is ONLY good for the state he received it in. There is no such thing as a Federal CCW for all 50 states. Each state has it's own laws. Permits come with instructions on their limitations. This guy would have been well-informed on how useless his Indiana permit would be in NYC, and that doesn't take into account that the Empire State Building itself, as a landmark site, imposes bans on firearms.

Hard to feel sympathy for an idiot.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Yeah, I don't disagree with him being arrested, I just disagree with the possible outcome of 15 years for that. Maybe I could understand the full time if he was caught trying to sneak it, but asking where to check it? Cmon

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

That's what the article claims he did.

The online gun-law information Jerome read was inaccurate, however, and his late September arrest initiated what may become a protracted criminal saga. He hasn’t yet been indicted by a grand jury, but there may be little legal wiggle-room if he is.

Read more: dailycaller.com...

Besides, as Ive already said checking is irrelevant. You think if you get bunk info from a city clerk, cop or lawyer suddenly all the charges will just go away? Bloomberg himself could have told this guy he was okay to carry and if he got stopped he'd still be screwed.

Ignorance of law is never an excuse.

There is accurate information online. You have to make sure you go to an official government site.

Can he show on a government internet site where he was mislead by confusing or inaccurate information?

I doubt it.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
NYC is a model for fascism neatly packed and with smoke and mirrors to tell you otherwise. NYPD exist mostly for keeping minorities in check (see stop and frisk controversy), keeping the havenots away from the haves and for bringing the city revenue (see ticket fixing scandal and hidden quotas).

The "mayor" revoked the charter to run for a third term by bribing and strong arming legislators into allowing a third term vote, and then managed to buy the election. I can go on and on but I am sure you guys get the point.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
NYC is a model for fascism neatly packed and with smoke and mirrors to tell you otherwise. NYPD exist mostly for keeping minorities in check (see stop and frisk controversy), keeping the havenots away from the haves and for bringing the city revenue (see ticket fixing scandal and hidden quotas).

Excuses! Excuses!

Please provide accurate information where a government site gives wrong or misleading information about gun permits in NYC.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

That statement is as arbitrary as the law.

Silver told the Post, "Her actions show a clear indication that she didn't know she was breaking the law, and when she saw [a no guns] sign, she said, 'OK, I do have a gun. Take it from me.'

Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver (D-Manhattan), whose district includes Ground Zero, said he will have a "committee ... see how exactly the law is being enforced and to look at the possibility that there should be changes in the law," the newspaper reported.
link

This notion that laws are sacrosanct and enforcement is infallible is a grand crock of horse# idea pushed by tyrants and mindless enforcers.

This blind allegiance to it and no-questions-asked enforcement of it is an abomination. Ask any white drinking from a coloreds-only fountain.

Further, how is ignorance of a law not an excuse? Frankly, it's the only viable excuse. If you arent harming another human being how the hell are you supposed to know that picking your nose on the sidewalk in Podunk Kentucky will get you locked up? Especially if the Bill of Rights explicitly stated that your right to pick your nose shall not be infringed?

Lack of omniscience is illegal apparently.
edit on 3-1-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

I like how New York hired a CIA agent with secret clearence to run part of the police department and the over site commity can't over see any thing the guy does because none of them have enough clearence. And the federal government can not over see a police department because it is ran by the city.

Thats a loop hole for the NYPD to do anything they want and get away with it.
edit on 3-1-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms

Excuses! Excuses!

Please provide accurate information where a government site gives wrong or misleading information about gun permits in NYC.

Huh? When did I say that? I said they make it hard to own a gun which is quite commonly known.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

That statement is as arbitrary as the law.

Then maybe he can prove something.

I live in Arizona. I can tell you - - I would make damn sure before I took a gun any place else.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Yep. When I was on jury duty, the prosecutor was saying we HAVE to do this and we HAVE to do that. When we got back to the deliberation room, I told the rest of the jury that the prosecutor was full of turds and I had no intention of delivering the verdict he was looking for.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

this is what happens when we let idiots with money and power run our country......

Stop voting for rich people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join