It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery 'gold ingots' found on Paris train are fake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Mystery 'gold ingots' found on Paris train are fake

www.bbc.co.uk

A suitcase containing 20kg (44 lbs) of gold bars has been found on a train near Paris.

The bomb squad was called in after an employee found a suspect package on board the RER train at Massy-Palaiseau station on Thursday.

The case was found to contain 20 ingots, with a value of around 800,000 euros ($1m; £670,000) should they prove to be genuine gold.

French police are looking for the person who abandoned the blue case.

As the bars do not have official stamps on them, the authorities think they may have been made from melted down gold.

Investigators believe the case's owner pro
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 1/3/2012 by semperfortis because: To Update Headline

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
SO many different ideas as to whom this belongs, drugs money?
stolen gold smuggling,illegal trade ie for other illegal goods ,swiss nazi gold,payment to pirates or other neer do wells,

or even the possibility it is fake gold has not been ruled out

I cant help but think that in "the good ole days" the thought of a bomb would of not been so high and that railway employee would now be a rich man , so in reward of his duty to passengers he should get the gold or some of it ,as a reward rather than it go into government account as unclaimed ..

"If the gold remains unclaimed, it is unclear who would benefit.

The case might be considered "treasure," in which case the gold would be shared by the Paris transport operator (RATP) and the conductor who found it.

But if it were classed as a "found object," it would be placed under seal and put in the state's coffers."

www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by gambon

There's my gold! I forgot where I put it. I'll have to go pick up my belongings.

OK.....not really, but it's unusual for someone to leave something like that behind....might just be fake gold.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
well..ok..i know it is an obvious answer and so forth..

but if noone wants them...you know Id probably take `em!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
This should def fall under the international law of:

" Finders Keepers "

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
It's mine !! I was on my way to the local Cash my Gold shop when I lost it.

I reckon seeing that it had been melted down, no one is going to claim it ...way to many questions to answer.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
It was most likely stolen and the perp abandoned it. The only explanation I can give for why no one would come forward.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
20kg is a pretty dam heavy package.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by gambon

Mystery gold ingots found on Paris train go unclaimed

www.bbc.co.uk

A suitcase containing 20kg (44 lbs) of gold bars has been found on a train near Paris.

The bomb squad was called in after an employee found a suspect package on board the RER train at Massy-Palaiseau station on Thursday.

The case was found to contain 20 ingots, with a value of around 800,000 euros ($1m; £670,000) should they prove to be genuine gold.

French police are looking for the person who abandoned the blue case.

As the bars do not have official stamps on them, the authorities think they may have been made from melted down gold.

Investigators believe the case's owner pro

Now confirmed fake.....

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
And they were fake, or so they report. Link

You can't cheat someone with fake gold. Who in their right mind would be that daring? Talk about a gamble with your life.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
And they were fake, or so they report. Link

You can't cheat someone with fake gold. Who in their right mind would be that daring? Talk about a gamble with your life.

Maybe the folks who run Fort Knox have been doing it for years??

Who knows where this was heading or who it belongs to. It's probably not be fake,just the MSM putting out a story for the police.
Maybe someones payday went wrong. Drugs, mercenarys, insider dealing etc etc the options are endless.
Money for arms, a contract hit or maybe someone who doesnt keep his wealth in the bank to avoid taxes and prying eyes..
edit on 5-1-2012 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

The find had prompted speculation that if classed as "treasure," the bars could be shared between the Paris transport operator and the conductor who found it.

Maybe someone in the government doens't want to give the gold back to the finders?

Faking gold bars with gold-plating Iron bars? Just the weight would give it away..

Fishy... Fishy.. Story.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
cops find gold media reports it to public cops tell media gold is fake public go back to work cops share the loot and retire a year later.

You would be surprised how many cops steal from the evidence locker. especially drug money.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

Those are *exactly* the folks you don't want to swindle. You might as well let them take you out in the first place because if they have to chase you, you'll get worse than death before they let you die.

As far as Ft Knox is concerned, they didn't carry that on trains in the public eye. Those were all done surreptitiously, away from public scrutiny.

new topics

top topics

join