It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why You’d Never Know There Was A Mouse In Your Soda....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
This is just crazy...

Why You’d Never Know There Was A Mouse In Your Soda

Pepsi is being sued by a Madison County, Illinois man who claims he found a mouse in his Mountain Dew. Ho-hum, right? But wait, Pepsi came up with the greatest defense ever: you'll never know you're drinking mouse!

Pepsi has moved to dismiss the case, according to the Madison St. Clair Record. Why, you ask? It cited expert testimony that the mouse would have dissolved in the soda before Ball ever had the chance to drink it.

Wait, so, is Pepsi's defense basically that you'd never know if there was a mouse in your soda? Kind of.

Pepsi's expert says the mouse would have become a "jelly like" substance long before Ball ever popped the top.

Brilliant defense. So now who wants to drink a Mountain Dew?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I just saw that on the news about 10 minutes ago. Yes, it is troubling.

Wouldn't bother me at all to know that someone had found a mouse in their drink, but to now know that it would be completely dissolved...... I don't drink much soda anyways, but Mountain Dew is the kind I drink the most. I may have to wait awhile before having another lol.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Well I would have noticed a jelly substance in a soda.
No matter that, Pepsis way of handling the issue is horrible.

S+F
edit on 3-1-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
And if it dissolves a mouse to a jelly like substance.. god knows what its doing to your insides..?

either way.. pepsi have done themselves no favours here..
edit on 3/1/12 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Haha yeah exactly they may aswell have said 'Well actually Mr Claimant, Our product is so corrosive the mouse would of been liquidised, so there!'

Gotta love it.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

The mouse would get dissolved in our stomachs as well, so I do not think the drink would be so bad for the stomach, but our teeth and mouths in general is another thing. Also all the sugar and other substances in the drinks would of course be bad for our bodies.
Hmm when I think about it you are correct, since you said insides and not just stomach.
edit on 3-1-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: second thoughts.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
That is just gross. I don't think i can ever enjoy a soft drink again.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

This sounds like a new spin on an old urban legend. Around the early 70s there was a story going arond of finding a mouse skeleton in a can of Coke. Of course after the tenth old timer tried to pass it off as personal experience it became abundantly apparent that if it was that common of an occurrence that Coke would go out of business. A similar urban legend was popular when I was a teenager about rats in wort used to make beer. Obviously to discourage us from partaking(it didn't work). When I grew wiser I learned that making beer is by necessity one of the cleanest processes you can imagine. I would imagine soda would be similar. Jellified mouse parts, and decomposition products would make the beverage more than mildly unpalatable, and it would probably be in more than just 1 bottle/can prompting a recall, and major bad press.

Although I agree that Pepsi's defense is a bit...distasteful(pun intended) I think the guy is a kook, and that pepsi is being lazy because the guy's claim is so far fetched. Not impossible, but so improbable. The closest practical explanation if his claim were true would be a case of tampering with the product after bottling, and distribution. In which case it wouldn't be pepsi's fault anyway.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I worked for pepsi for a few years on the back end of the washer ...I would never drink any bev. out of a returnable bottle after seeing what I dug out of those bottles ...peace

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

i work at area 51 and aliens do not exists.... peace

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by gougitousakusha

I believe you ..peace

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
remember visiting a cider factory when i was younger and they told us that rats did fall into the vats and that to some people they prefered the cider that came from vats that a few rats had died in

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
hahaah that is the GREATEST defense ever!

I'm glad i don't drink soda!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

I think someone was pulling your leg. I brew beer, and hard cider as a hobby. Decomposition products in your wort would create byproducts that would not only taste extremely bad, but would potentially kill you. Anybody with a little knowledge of microbiology knows that the rat parts in brewsky stories are bunk.

When I first started I didn't sterilize my carboy correctly, and the wort turned. Believe me it smells so bad you wouldn't even concieve of putting it to your lips. drinking it would enduce immediate vomitting. No one would prefer that "flavor." Now imagine not just a tiny colony of something left by a fingerprint, or an unscrubbed edge, but a whole rotten fetid corpse.
edit on 3-1-2012 by Binder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
As disgusting as it sounds, I can see why they are using this defense.

Recycled bottles/cans are shredded, melted and reformed into new bottles/cans. The likelihood of a dead mouse being in a recycled bottle/can are nil. That would mean that the mouse got into the can when it was filled.

It would depend on the condition of the mouse body. If the mouse body that was presented to the adjuster wasn't in the gel-like condition that they describe, it would indicate that the mouse was not in the can.

It is curious that the mouse was destroyed or otherwise unavailable. I would think they would have preserved it as evidence.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Binder

No one would prefer that "flavor." Now imagine not just a tiny colony of something left by a fingerprint, or an unscrubbed edge, but a whole rotten fetid corpse.

Indeed, if this happened, they'd have known as soon as they opened the can. Actually, wait.... Decomposing organic material produces gases when it decomposes. Haven't you seen CSI? What happens when you say put a body into a oil drum? The gases force the drum to expand and bulge out, one of the first indications that the canned food or drink is bad.

how easy is it to turn something? My wife and I spent most of this season canning and preserving produce. We did a huge batch of apple pie filling. A few of the jars had some trouble with the top lid of the can and one of us must have left a finger print on it as almost the entire batch is ruined, tops of the jars are bulging, some have mold at the top, others have separated and look quite gross.

Anyways, this is a scam, just like the "i found a massive bolt in my can of pepsi" a few years back. In fact, I recall being at a, umm, shop and save? Whatever the chain of grocery stores is there in Portland Maine. Anyways, we're in line at the register and I literally watch a woman who is right off the front page of "people of walmart" open a can of moutain dew or something yellowish / green and tossed something right in it there, 2 feet from the cashier, and started this whole drama of almost choking to death and she's going to sue.

It was amazing.

Sorry, the only way a full mouse can get into a can or bottle at a plant is during the filling process, which as stated above, is quite advanced and HAS to be sterile, if they mess it up that stuff won't even make it to the shelves before cans and bottles start popping open.

Recycled bottles and cans get mulched down and remade, mostly in India, nothing inside of one of those bottles makes it to a new bottle.

In fact, the bottle return services here refuse bottles with caps or anything inside, even just the label or some cigarette butts, because before they can process it to be recycled, it has to be stripped down and cleaned.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Binder
reply to post by Maxatoria

I think someone was pulling your leg. I brew beer, and hard cider as a hobby. Decomposition products in your wort would create byproducts that would not only taste extremely bad, but would potentially kill you. Anybody with a little knowledge of microbiology knows that the rat parts in brewsky stories are bunk.

When I first started I didn't sterilize my carboy correctly, and the wort turned. Believe me it smells so bad you wouldn't even concieve of putting it to your lips. drinking it would enduce immediate vomitting. No one would prefer that "flavor." Now imagine not just a tiny colony of something left by a fingerprint, or an unscrubbed edge, but a whole rotten fetid corpse.
edit on 3-1-2012 by Binder because: (no reason given)

i was only 10 or 11 and they'd given us kids a few tasters of the produce and boy was that vintage stuff they gave us strong...a couple of those and one lad walked into the ladies and another had a 2 day hangover, ah the good days of being in the scouts, when he was telling us this he was showing us the freshly squeezed apple juice which was in a open vat so i think we all imagined some rat popping in for a drink and then toppling in

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Canadian scientists have been working on similar conundrums for decades now. I submit this documentary about the latest efforts:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
How very cool!!
It seems I will be buying some mountain dew in the future just for this purpose.
I will wait until one of my dogs finds Momma's next present, then I will put it in a mason jar with the mystery goo....err mountain dew and see what happens.

I guess I could probably use a chicken wing for ease of test though.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I've never found anything gross in my Mt. Dew, but a 12 pack that I bought a few months ago, half of the cans were only 1/2-3/4 full. They weren't leaking and didn't have a tiny hole in them, they were just not filled. I emailed Pepsi and they sent me a coupon for a free 12 pk.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join