It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Santorum tells Iowans: ‘I don’t want to make black people’s lives better’

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
WHAT !!!!

An unbelievable statement there Mr. Santorum !!

And He also said:

Speaking to Republicans in Iowa on Monday, former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA) said his administration would reform welfare to the point that it would offer no welfare at all.

After suggesting that an expansion of Medicare is really just a plot to make voters more “dependent” on Washington, Santorum added: ”I don’t want to make black people’s lives better by giving them other people’s money.”

“I want to give them the opportunity to go out and earn their money and provide for themselves and their families,” he added. “The best way to do that is to get the manufacturing sector of the economy rolling.”

Medicare recipients too !
Wheeeeew !

AND,

One thing he likely overlooked: white Americans account for the largest percentage of welfare payments each month, mostly because they make up the largest sector of the population.

Did Rick just self-destruct here ?
Maybe he needs to check in to a "Sanitarium"

here is the whole story
Santorum tells Iowans: ‘I don’t want to make black people’s lives better’

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I don't like the guy, but to be fair...

‘I don’t want to make black people’s lives better’

is not the same as

‘I don’t want to make black people’s lives better by giving them other people's money' (what he actually said)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

This headline is completely out of context. He is saying that he wants to put them back to work not just more welfare and I'm sure he probably feels the same regardless of skin colour.

So if the MSM do a hit piece on Ron Paul they are bias but Rick Santorum is free game? Talk about double standards. Deny ignorance?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by black0h

This headline is completely out of context. He is saying that he wants to put them back to work not just more welfare and I'm sure he probably feels the same regardless of skin colour.

So if the MSM do a hit piece on Ron Paul they are bias but Rick Santorum is free game? Talk about double standards. Deny ignorance?

Yah,

But it's all about what readers will see it as if they don't actually read the article !

The article author(s) have sensationalized the whole thing !

It must be an anti-Santorum attempt.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Yea... well...

Nice try tho...

link   

How is people having jobs worse than getting a check from the government?

I don't get it.

link   
Out of context, but still kind of weird.

Santorum is drumming to a rhythm found in most racist's minds. He's talking to a lot of people that may have never met a black person in their lives. He's enforcing media stereotypes and fairytales.

Truth is, more white Americans are on welfare. But, a disproportionate percentage of blacks are on welfare.
Of course that's going to be the case when a population is less than 13% of the nation and faces the same challenges as everyone else.

But hey, let's not look at the facts here, let's do it the old ATS way and either:
1) Distort Santorum's words (He's still blowing a dog whistle, in my opinion. I make no qualms about saying that)
or
2) Indirectly turn this into a black bashing thread

Maybe we could do option three and stop talking about it because the thread starts with falsehoods.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I think that is a fair statement to make -- one that actually hold to the principle and notion that all men are created equal and that each of us -- as human beings and citizens are all presented with a level playing field.

I am no Santorum fan, but such idealism is frowned upon nowadays; that each must make their own and engage not only in the market place but with each other on the notion that we are all equal. That the Federal Government should not give preferential treatment to any group of persons.

Oh well -- my idealistic ways are archaic and fading fast.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
He also said

his administration would reform welfare to the point that it would offer no welfare at all.

I would think that Santorum's writers and advisers would have reviewed this speech !

Unless he slipped and was "thinking out loud" on his own !

The article is clever to state one thing, and continue in the next paragraph !

edit on Jan-03-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
It's just an out of context hit piece. It was VERY clear what he was basically saying - end dependence upon the government handouts and have people be able to help themselves. It makes sense. I'm sure it'll tick off those who love victimology ... the unending victimhood of black America. But what he said was good for everyone - from those who are poor to those who pay the taxes to support the poor. The more people who can take care of themselves in this country .. the better.

Of course, he didn't say HOW he'd do it .. just that he wants to.
I'd like to see what the plan is ...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Of course, he didn't say HOW he'd do it .. just that he wants to.
I'd like to see what the plan is ...

Sadly the majority of ATS and the People don't want to know how -- only cause ruckus and uproar over his out of context words....

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
and they say it is Ron Paul who is racist

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

Please do tell -- how is his statement given in the correct context remotely racist?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Please do tell -- how is his statement given in the correct context remotely racist?

Well .. by telling black people cannot live better .. i dont know if this article is true
but it is the OP title
i didnt write it

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
The article is real.

There is a video at the bottom of the article (from CBS News).

He does pause between statements a little !!

He also says Iowa may get fined from the Feds unless they sign on more people to Medicaid !

I don't know what that means ?

Sounds like he was appealing to a select audience.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Well .. by telling black people cannot live better .. i dont know if this article is true
but it is the OP title
i didnt write it

Again -- context or have you not even bothered to read the article?
edit on 3-1-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

but it is the OP title
i didnt write it

Again -- context or have you not even bothered to read the article?
edit on 3-1-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

Then why did he say Black people ...

I don’t want to make black people’s lives better by giving them other people’s money.

what if he said ..
I don’t want to make white people’s lives better by giving them other people’s money.

it would be totaly different

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Then why did he say Black people ...

Again context -- in which I am defending. He was speaking in the context of what he believes are Federal programs that lead to dependency and thus erode personal responsibility.

From the OPs quoted article:

After suggesting that an expansion of Medicare is really just a plot to make voters more “dependent” on Washington, Santorum added: ”I don’t want to make black people’s lives better by giving them other people’s money.”

“I want to give them the opportunity to go out and earn their money and provide for themselves and their families,” he added. “The best way to do that is to get the manufacturing sector of the economy rolling.”

Now if you want to discuss/debate the validity of his statement that he is suggesting, that is valid, but in no way was he saying a disparaging remark -- to the extent of conveying superiority of one race or another (the definition of racism).

Fairly sound statement made to the base that is Republican -- Are they a poor choice of words? Probably. Is it racist....far from it.

what if he said ..
I don’t want to make white people’s lives better by giving them other people’s money.

Maybe in your eyes -- but such a statement would be the same for me. The message I believe he poorly conveyed is that no person[s] or group should have to rely upon the Federal Government to live. To that, I agree.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Imagine if this was Ron Paul who said that

CNN would had quickly jumped on the story and make him look like the antichrist

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

We are not talking about Ron Paul now are we. Are you going to ignore what I have said this whole conversation?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join