It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House sets new obstacle to immigration enforcement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
The Obama administration is apparently saying that local courts MUST convict illegal foreigner BEFORE the Federal Government will take somebody into custody for possible deportation !

What could this possibly be about ?

Votes perhaps ?

Well if local prosecutors release offenders, they surely could vote !

WAIT ...... I thought it was "illegal" in the first place to be an "illegal alien" ?

Can the local courts prosecute for THAT ?

Published: 1:51 PM 12/31/2011 | Updated: 1:27 AM 01/02/2012
The Daily Caller

An administration Dec. 29 memo declares that illegal immigrants may have to be held until they’re convicted in local courts before the federal government will begin deportation proceedings.

The declaration “means lots of criminal aliens will be released if the locals don’t have the resources or inclination to prosecute, or if the [suspect] is found not guilty because of a technicality,” said Mark Krikorian, director of the Center for Immigration Studies.

The new rule shows “the administration wants to give up one of the most important tools in preserving public safety,” said Krikorian. “We’ll have more and more instances of illegals released by police because [federal immigration officials] wouldn’t take them [and] who then go on to commit some heinous crime.”

President Barack Obama’s campaign aides frequently say they’re seeking Hispanic support to win crucial states, such as North Carolina and Arizona. On Dec. 19, for example, Obama’s campaign manager Jim Messina released a video in which he said Arizona was winnable because “hundreds of thousands” of people in the state have not registered to vote.”

The campaign is using Hispanic ethnic lobbies, such as La Raza, to help register Hispanics and to persuade them to vote in November.

But the ethnic lobbies have their own demands.

They want easier immigration for their ethnic or religious groups, including Hispanics, Asians, Arabs, Irish and Muslims.

new obstacle to immigration enforcement

Who has "Jurisdiction" Now ?

edit on Jan-03-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

edit on Jan-03-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Higher taxes to room and board these aliens until they get to trial. It would have been easier for the National Guard and the Coast guard to patrol the borders.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I guess this was the natural extension to the first few years of Obama's policy of pursuing only those who'd been arrested or suspected of a crime on even asking their status. Then Sheriff Joe is slammed and his deputies stripped of their federal power to check people being booked in, but not convicted yet. Now...it's only those actually convicted.

The pool of people the Feds will even consider deporting is growing smaller and smaller. I guess you could call this approach an amnesty in place, by default and lack of caring on the part of the Feds.

How much is Obama going to drop on the nation in the first week of the New Year?? I hope this isn't the tempo we're to see for the next year.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Sorry I am really tired and just picked up on the rest of your thread. I am really getting disturbed with the way this country is handling certain issues. This being one of them. Obviously a lack of concern for the nations public safety.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I say turn the illegals over to the national guard and require the guard to do with them as they would with any insurgent spy.
We are at war you know, it goes pretty quick if they cannot present a birth certificate.
We have plenty of rope and it is recyclable too!!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
If I'm reading this article well, what is being said here applies to ALIENS(people from another countries residing, or with some type of legal status, in the U.S.A.) If you are an illegal alien, you will be deported despite being a criminal or not; despite serving time in a state prison or not... despite being criminally prosecuted, unless you were illegally arrested.

If you are a legal alien ( and by this I mean that you are legally in the U.S) and you commit a crime, one that is not a federal crime, immigration officers ( ICE, Border Patrol...) as federal agents will not federally prosecute you, but you would be deported if you serve time (it depends on how much time you do; what type of status you have, or what type of "crime" you've committed) in a local jail, state prison...

If I read the article well, a criminal alien, or criminal illegal alien, commits a non-federal crime and must serve time in a state prison before being deported, I see this as a good thing. Why? Because instead of the criminal alien being just deported, the person would have to serve time for his crime.

Does this mean that if the person is not found guilty, or is not going to serve any time in jail, that person is going to be free and it's not going to get deported? Well, that is actually in place right now. It all depends on what kind of legal status you have. If an alien commits a crime and is convicted and sentenced to one year of more in prison, it doesn't matter if the person serves the whole year or less in prison, that person is going to be deported.

What I can assure you is that an ILLEGAL alien, criminal or not, legally arrested will be deported.

P.S. Being in this country illegally is not a crime, it's a misdemeanor!
edit on 1/1/2012 by thegrayone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
They won't deport illegal aliens until a conviction, but you can be locked up forever on the mere suspicion that you're a terrorist.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by thegrayone

Good point,

But the first paragraph says:

An administration Dec. 29 memo declares that illegal immigrants may have to be held until they’re convicted in local courts before the federal government will begin deportation proceedings.

not seeing any reference to "legal" resident aliens.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Good point,

But the first paragraph says:

not seeing any reference to "legal" resident aliens.

Not to say you are wrong, but I still don't see where it says that for them to be deported they have to be convicted. "The may be held till convicted before deportation", not for, or in order to be deported.

Now, if what the article implies is that if those illegal aliens are not convicted, local PD won't be able to call the Border Patrol for an evaluation, that's a whole different story.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Votes perhaps ?

This is getting a little old right here. This claim that Obama is trying to help illegals vote has never been backed up a damn thing. All this voter fraud talk BS is just another way to add a poll tax and you are falling for it. Maybe you can show us where all the illegals are voting or just stick with the facts? Just curious.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

I agree somewhat.

The article is written loosly at best.

I can't find the actual memo either.

but here is a CNN iReport with a video.

The White House appears not to be very serious in fighting illegal immigration. While trying to please the growing hispanic vote the WH has told federal immigration officers to hold on deportating illegal immigrant criminals until they are tried in court and found guilty. Why Should we wait? Is it not a crime to be here illegally? What are your thoughts?

White House puts up more blocks against illegal immigrant deportation

The White House website is silent too.
Hmmm.

They might be using the "might be" - "may be" clauses in anticipation of legal challenges.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by LilithWon

Votes perhaps ?

This is getting a little old right here. This claim that Obama is trying to help illegals vote has never been backed up a damn thing. All this voter fraud talk BS is just another way to add a poll tax and you are falling for it. Maybe you can show us where all the illegals are voting or just stick with the facts? Just curious.

Good point.

The article seems to be a bit biased on that !

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

I find that kind of stuff highly distracting. Illegal immigration is a real problem and to muddy it with partisan fear mongering does more to detract from the reality than anything else. Other than that, still reading...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by LilithWon

Votes perhaps ?

here is a link to a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement page.

They must be concerned about something?

Illegal alien arrested, charged with voter fraud

LAKE COUNTY, Ill. - An illegal alien from the Philippines was arrested Thursday morning on a felony complaint charging her with 17 counts related to voter fraud in Lake County. The state charges resulted from a joint investigation conducted by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and the Lake County State's Attorneys Office. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) also provided assistance.

Maria Azada, 53, of Grayslake, Ill., was arrested March 17 by ICE HSI agents and a Lake County State's Attorneys special investigator. Azada faces 17 felony counts in Lake County Circuit Court of perjury, mutilation of election materials, and tampering with voting machines in connection with illegal voting by a non-U.S. citizen.

Hmmm.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I hope they don't lock me up when I visit.

I feel a lot safer on the Canadian side.

top topics

join