It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woah holy hell! this is nuts here in scotland

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
ach were past it now

little breezy but nothing spectacular lol. few bursts of hailstones! some folks from my area reported golf ball size ones.

who knows maybe were in for a crackin year haha

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier81
reply to post by MaMaa

In November wind speeds in the Cairngorms hit 165mph (11mph off the Record wind speed recorded in Britain) whilst here in Glasgow I think it peaked about 75mph.

Today however wind speeds in the lowlands reached up to 100mph I just wonder what data was collected from the Cairngorms.

I checked data collection site but nothing is available as yet

WOW, that is wild! I know how bad it got around here, I couldn't imagine it getting windier! On the bright side it did blow out a lot of leaves from this past fall out of our yard and into the soccer fields and park behind our home! LOL It's just such an eerie sound when you can hear the buildings creaking and groaning as the wind hits it. Such an unsettling sound and of course it is cold here in Colorado now so it just makes you feel cold even when your inside a warm house. Up in Wyoming about an hour north of me, the winds are extreme, but it's to be expected up there. I couldn't live somewhere that it was windy all the time, I'd be terribly depressed all the time. I do hate the winter here in Colorado, but at least we have on average 300 sunny days a year and the extreme winds are not normal down here along the front range of the Rocky Mountains where I am.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
We recently had the same in England.
The rain was hitting so hard I thought the glass in my window was going to break. It was scary.
If the glass did break, there was nothing really I could do to stop the torrent from coming into my room.
I don't recall I have never witnessed rain like that before. It was freaky.
Good job it only lasted an hour or so.
Tonight is a nice crisp night so I am going to look at the stars through my binocs

Limbo

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Pft, the winds in Wyoming reach up to 75-80 miles and hour easy in winter, its part of the reason theyre called the "high plains", those winds will blow the hair off your head. You can literally lean all your weight into the wind and the wind will hold you up. I've been stuck in Cheyenne several times because of the interstate getting shut down due to highwinds blowing 18 wheelers off the road and everyone else with them.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Free4Ever2

He buddy, your starting to get the name of "Storm Chaser "
Did you visit the newton shore today? I got off lightly this time with only my neighbors shed landing in the garden and some bits of guttering down from my own house. Wonder what now to March has to offer? keep the cameras handy methinks..take care.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
Jesus! Not often it goes red! Gusts up to 95Mph in the red zone and climbing as the pressure is falling.

If you planned to go fly a kite today......No

Wear a kilt? Make sure you got long johns on underneath!

I'm not far below the red mind you.

What in gods name is that strange sea creature in your picture?

Did that get blown in by the wind?

On a serious note, stay safe, and watch the windows!!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

I have woken up this morning and my car has blew away!

On a serious note I can actually feel the upstairs part of my home shaking, it is far worse than Decembers high winds where I am.

Think its time to use the kite I got for Christmas!

Strange as yesterday where I'm at which is not anywhere near scotland but still in the Northern HEM and we had crazy wind last night. The Kind where you have to put the bolt lock in so the door doesn't blow open.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrMattMaddix

LOL @ "OMG trampoline!!"

This video is hilarious!

On a serious note, I do hope you all are safe during the freak windy weather in Scotland.

Similarly, here in GA in the US it was super windy with incredible gusts shaking the house all yesterday afternoon & last night. I'm sure others in the SE US can attest. It has been in the 70's lately, weird for December, now it's butt-naked cold. It was 22*F this morning when I woke up...

Be safe! ...and watch out for those runaway trampolines!

edit on 3-1-2012 by susp3kt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by stirling

The trampoline video was funny, but fake as hell, you can almost see that little jerk it makes when someone starts it rolling, and it just starting to fall over when it's going out of view.

Definitely not fake. This has happened in precisely this way to my kids' trampoline twice now. The second time it was even staked, to no avail. The next door neighbor didn't find it especially funny when it did thousands of dollars worth of damage to his brand new pickup truck.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
It ain't just you Scots that got it,
here in Donegal we got hammered before you,
gusts recorded at 106mph at Malin Head.
This is totally out of character
and the winter here since October has been more turbulent and violent than normal.
Something is definitely up.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Pft, the winds in Wyoming reach up to 75-80 miles and hour easy in winter, its part of the reason theyre called the "high plains", those winds will blow the hair off your head. You can literally lean all your weight into the wind and the wind will hold you up. I've been stuck in Cheyenne several times because of the interstate getting shut down due to highwinds blowing 18 wheelers off the road and everyone else with them.

Yup, I have gotten stuck up there before. They closed the interstate and we couldn't get back to Loveland from Cheyenne. It isn't unheard of to see reports of semi's being overturned and interstates closed. I think here in Loveland we are considered high plains region too, but fortunately I am right up against the foothills so it isn't nearly as bad as it can get even just 15 minutes east of me by the interstate.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
A lot of damage around the stirling area. Roof tiles off, trees down & cables down. That was some of the strongest winds I've ever seen.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Been the same in Hull, East Yorkshire this afternoon...driving home from work felt like trying to pilot a rough landing at Humberside Airport it was shocking....we'll live though!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
You know, it could possibly be that the mothership is landing, seeing you guys get all the action anyway, and that's where the winds are coming from.

j/k

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
How weird,

Here in Colorado the other day Sunday we were pummeled with hurricane force winds, up to 126mph in some parts. Wind was so violent it was shaking the house and actually shattered an outer pane of my window
we get winds here frequently but never this strong.
edit on 3-1-2012 by heyitsphil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
You know, it could possibly be that the mothership is landing, seeing you guys get all the action anyway, and that's where the winds are coming from.

j/k

It's probably just the politicians talking again? Is congress in session? It's all the hot air they produce ya know!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by heyitsphil
How weird,

Here in Colorado the other day Sunday we were pummeled with hurricane force winds, up to 126mph in some parts. Wind was so violent it was shaking the house and actually shattered an outer pane of my window
we get winds here frequently but never this strong.
edit on 3-1-2012 by heyitsphil because: (no reason given)

How long have you lived here in Colorado? I've been here all my life and I have seen winds that strong plenty. It really depends on what part you live in though. The closer you get to Wyoming the worse it is as well as the further east you go where your really out on the high plains. Up in the mountains gets it good too. We have the foothills as a wind break and even then we have had things be broken by the winds before.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Good to hear the worst has past.
Hope your friends and family are OK.

I have had part of the roof blown off my house years ago in a storm in Wales,and it is life or death scary when windows and roof supports start popping.
I hope you will get a respite from the storm
but stay on your guard though,it would not surprise me if we get more extreme weather over the British Isles over the next few months or so.

As I type,the gusts are rattling my windows in the mountains of Wales.
Part of the tail end of the same storm is tickling north wales.

Be safe.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
It was absolutely mental! The roads in Edinburgh were littered with trees and blocked. Worst winds ever in over two decades in this town. And it is twice in a number of weeks - I have to say as a conspiracy it is very interesting and not something I have ever experienced.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Holy crap your getting hit hard up there mate.

This might sound a bit crazy but tape up your windows and put a black bag over them just encase they do go out then the glass will not land everywhere and you don't end up cutting your feet or maybe your lil ones. Double glazed windows do flex so don't be to worried but i would do that as a precaution no need to do all of them just where the house is facing the wind.

Stay safe man and make sure you keep us updated.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join