It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GlobalRevolution.tv just evicted in NY

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
And so it begins. This is just happening now. GlobalRevolution.tv was just evitcted by the NYPD and the NY Building Dept. from its offices. Sorry I cant provide more info, waiting on details myself. I am monitoring the situation now, and will provide more details as they come in. For those that dont know what globalrevolotion.tv is, see below.

For the past two months, a website called Global Revolution TV has become the main video hub for the Occupy Wall Street movement. Featuring live video feeds from New York and dozens of other cities hosting Occupy protests, the site has transformed how protests are covered and observed. When OWS protesters hold a General Assembly in Zuccotti Park, the gathering is usually live streamed across the world.

The censorship of citizen journalism has begun.

GlobalRevolution.tv

edit on 2-1-2012 by Vizzle because: (no reason given)

Property Overview
edit on 2-1-2012 by Vizzle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Where is this news? From that chat room? I do see they are talking about it. Too bad there isn't video of this, or is there?

Also, from that pic, they were thrown out because the building or space was imminently perilous to life? Wtf? Now I have to see a video of this office! I want to see how this place could kill me

edit on 2-1-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

There is an "aftermath" video on youtube here:

They will be back in tomorrow to fix all of the "violations". Talking to one of the streamers on the phone. Back shortly with more info.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
(self snip) ... Post above me got the Youtube first.

edit on 3-1-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

10:00 PM uneditedcamera: They were vacated due to lack of sprinkerly system in hallways
10:01 PM uneditedcamera: Alright folks.
10:01 PM uneditedcamera: It looks like the NYPD came in with building department.
10:01 PM uneditedcamera: They deem the place unsafe for multiple reasons. The folks who lived there countered each reason with the paperwork they had.
10:02 PM uneditedcamera: They called in the fire department. Which then said well, it's been inspected two months prior seems good. Theycalled in the fire cheif.
10:02 PM uneditedcamera: The fire chief said it was good, then said they didn't have sprinklers in the hallways and that meant it had to be vacated.
10:02 PM uneditedcamera: They maybe able to go back after installing them. and plan to move on it quickly.
10:03 PM uneditedcamera: It just sounds pretty ridiculous.
10:03 PM uneditedcamera: That's all I got.
10:03 PM uneditedcamera: All I know.

Chat log with one of the streamers. They are currently moving all the electronic gear out of the building, and all of the computers with video backups.
edit on 3-1-2012 by Vizzle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Vizzle

I just found that video in the chat room and was about to post it!

You win a star!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Sorry for the multiple posts. There are a few of us researching it all A.T.M.

Just found the only complaint they had on record.

Complaint

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Vizzle

Now that is a quick update and much appreciated. The coverage and ability for the public to see this whole thing happen has been made possible in no small part by these people...so anything to keep them going is important. The details definitely do make it sound 'technically' proper...but political as all get out.

Yikes.... What happens after they fix the sprinklers at countless thousands or whatever? They find a micro-gram of lead in a painted wall back in a corner...so another vacate to fix? Hmm... This is disturbing given the other thread Kali just shared about the escalation of charging that seems to be happening too.

I hope everyone in Occupy the best and stay safe!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Like I said, this is a live event, as the info comes in, I will be posting it. Just got off the phone with one of their streamers. Seems they have a few streamers in Iowa right now. At this time GlobalRev people in Iowa believe NYC team is safe & gear is being moved, not damaged. Everyone physically OK now. So no arrests, but a wrench has been tossed in to the mechanism of citizen journalism.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Vizzle

Now that is a quick update and much appreciated. The coverage and ability for the public to see this whole thing happen has been made possible in no small part by these people...so anything to keep them going is important. The details definitely do make it sound 'technically' proper...but political as all get out.

Yikes.... What happens after they fix the sprinklers at countless thousands or whatever? They find a micro-gram of lead in a painted wall back in a corner...so another vacate to fix? Hmm... This is disturbing given the other thread Kali just shared about the escalation of charging that seems to be happening too.

I hope everyone in Occupy the best and stay safe!

They shouldn't have to pay for any sprinkler installation. This is NYC and they are definitely renting. It's the landlords responsibility to make sure the building is up to code. Globalrevolution.tv can rent elsewhere. Then we'll see if the problems keep following them

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Here is a weird fact for you, to add to what you had to say. Global Rev is only on the first floor of that building. None of the other tenants on any of the other flors were given a violation tonight, or told they had to vacate. One would think that if you were going to search a building for violations, you would search the entire building, and not just the first floor, where the global rev offices are. This was a targeted attack on citizen journalism.

Also, keep in mind, Global rev had live streamers thrown out of a few Iowa offices today for covering the protests at presidential contender offices (and before the left/right stuff derails the thread, OWS has been protesting Obama as well, See - NDAA) Please keep in mind, this is not a political thread, this is about global rev. please keep political trolling to other threads if you so seem to want to include left/right politics in this discussion. I would also like to state here for the record, Both the left and right are guilty at this point. OWS supports no political candidate, and NDAA is now law.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
welcome to martial law folks....

we need to support these people, I dont care what your political stance is, this is still, clearly, an attack on free press

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Vizzle

Something comes to mind in how you're describing this and the way it's happening as we speak. Is there some area of coverage they would have had coming from equipment in this office which is now black for the time being specifically because of this harassment action?

The be real blunt, could this have been done with the specific intent of taking out the coverage of a place or thing they intend to do something to in the period this leaves it without broadcast to the net or coverage at all? Hopefully not, but I can't help but wondering with how nasty they're starting to get in some places.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Vizzle

Oh yeah, I didn't even consider that. Was the entire building evicted? Did the other hallways on the other floors meet code by having sprinklers? Does it matter? And you say Iowa streamers were thrown out also? Very interesting.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Vizzle

Something comes to mind in how you're describing this and the way it's happening as we speak. Is there some area of coverage they would have had coming from equipment in this office which is now black for the time being specifically because of this harassment action?

They have a few streamers covering the Iowa Caucuses. That is the only thing I can think of in the immediate future. There would also be coverage of the Financial District protests in SF on the 20th, and the coverage of Occupy Congress on the 17th as well.

The be real blunt, could this have been done with the specific intent of taking out the coverage of a place or thing they intend to do something to in the period this leaves it without broadcast to the net or coverage at all? Hopefully not, but I can't help but wondering with how nasty they're starting to get in some places.

This was a targeted shut down. There will still be live streaming available. GlobalRev would consolidate all of these different streams in one place, so you could go to their site and basically pick a stream or two to follow while they were up live. I know personally, I use UStream, as do a bunch of others, so the streaming will continue, its just going to be a bit harder to find the streams if you do not know where/who to follow or look for.

DNC 2000: LAPD aided by the CA Highway Patrol were sent to shut down the indymedia studio.

indy media shutdown

RNC 2008 Raids Targeted Video Activists more shut down

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Just the first floor, which is the Global Rev offices were locked out for "code violations". From talking with Tim on the phone, none of the other floors were even looked at.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by osirys
welcome to martial law folks....

we need to support these people, I dont care what your political stance is, this is still, clearly, an attack on free press

Agreed. After what was pretty much a media blackout (where is the outrage over indefinite detention, imagine if Bush/Cheney would have done this) and NDAA getting signed in to law while Obama was on vacation, we still have SOPA and HR3166 coming down the pipeline. I really hope that people will stop looking at Right/Left Repub/Dem politics and start coming together as a nation to stand up and say "Seriously, WTF?". Our constitution is not going to be worth the "paper its printed on" (yes, i know its not paper) pretty quickly if we continue down this path. This should be an eye opener for everyone, as now "freedom of the press" is now under fire. Maybe the folks who still believe "OWS is obama's reelection campaign" will see that it is not, and we are equally pissed at him for being a failure as we are the right for the same amount of fail.

TL;DR - Both political parties are the same, we no longer have freedom of the press.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
That's how they've been getting people's land out in California that live off the grid too - with nit picky nuisannce or safety violations.10 to 1 if the sprinkler system gets fixed it will just be something else.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
This police raid to evict Globalrevolution might in response to that NYPD officer who was stabbed in the hand on New Years Eve. The NYPD is definitely sick of OWS in NYC.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
its to bad the officer wasnt actually stabbed.

just clumsly and cut his hand on a barricade...

top topics

join