It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Gotta Be Kidding Me: Occupier Faces Lynching Charges

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Occupy Oakland Media

What has happened to my country? Do prosecutors have any clue what lynching is?
Raiding/evicting camps has failed.
Demonizing has failed.
Beatings have failed.
Chemical weapons failed.

So I guess now charging peaceful protesters with more serious crimes is the new tactic to squash the movement. Or, the City of Oakland was just extra sensitive yesterday after Occupiers and other members of the Oakland Community marched to "Oscar Grant" Plaza on the anniversary of Oscar Grants murder at the hands of a transit cop. Oscar Grant was shot, in front of a train full of people, in the back while he was laying face down on the ground handcuffed.

On Friday, December 30, Oakland police raid city hall plaza under orders from city hall. They tell everyone to gather their things and leave. But moments later, without warning, the police begin arresting people. A woman is grabbed by police for having a yoga mat under her arm, and taking some food off a table. An officer clearly states that they are arresting people for “having property in the plaza without a permit.”

Shortly after these first three arrests, the police rush back into a group of protesters and forcibly grab Tiffany Tran, a small Asian woman. A policeman says she was arrested for says “instigating that first one … when you cause other people to be arrested, then you get arrested too.”

According to the combined statements of the police on the scene, Tiffany Tran was arrested for instigating other people to have property in the plaza.

All of the arrestees are held in hot van without water or food for 8 hours before they are taken to Santa Rita prison. At the prison, 13 hours after first being arrested Tiffany is charged with the crime of “lynching”.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

From your source:

The anti-lynching California law dates back to 1933, and was created seeking to prevent white vigilante mobs from taking black prisoners away from “peace officers”, such that these racist mobs could hang black prisoners without trial.

But today, the situation has been reversed. The police are no longer “peace officers” trying to protect and serve. The police are now the ones engaged in brutal repression of peaceful citizens. And the same law, and same punishment, which was designed to try to prevent racist mobs from hanging people, is now being used against Tiffany Tran.
hellaoccupyoakland.com...

I just just don't see the connection to the "lynching law" at all.
I really don't get it.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Dear Kali74,

I'm glad for your post. You still have your passionate, caring heart, don't ever lose that.

Yes, prosecutors have a clue what "lynching" is, at least under California Penal Code Section 405a:

The taking by means of a riot of any person from the lawful custody of any peace officer is a lynching.
Now, granted, that's not the commonly understood meaning for "lynching," but it seems like it would be appropriate here.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
And this is really the bottom line:

A pissed off cop will do anything to see that you spend time in the slammer, and they'll throw anything at you that even has the least likelihood of sticking, usually the worst thing they can find.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Thanks, that's kind of you to say

Interesting about the new meaning of lynching or it's new to me anyway. I still don't think it applies though as there was certainly no riot there.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I hate to mention that I predicted this would happen.....but it'll get worse. Occupy really has to move to Washington. There are a lot of reasons why, but this is as good a reason as any. In one place, with everyone together, they either move on the whole movement at once or they do nothing. The way things stand now, it looks like the feds are going to direct city authorities to start dumping the whole truck load of charges every time and eliminate the movement one small piece at a time.

Don't make it easy. Get together in D.C....yesterday.
I wish everyone luck when it becomes a proper movement for change by gathering there as a whole.
Until then, hopefully these more serious charges can be worked out down the road as the tactics now move to felony level arrests.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
It is disguisting what these police officers will do for a paycheck, they are allowing themselves to be used as a instrument... Not even thinking that it could their family and friends in those crowds.

My view on the whole Occupy movement is that the reasons and views of the people are just and they are only trying to ensure America stays with its values of LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL, and the equal opportunity to feed and shelter you and your family... they are not saying we all want to drive BMW's, Drink the finest wines... we just want to afford a desent home, car and education for or children...
With that said i do believe the movement is being ran the wrong way, It needs a voice... every national media channel describes what they stand for differently just to dumb down the actuall agenda. There has never been a movement that lasted and actually acomplished anything Nationwide without major riots, panic, death's.

The last note: The movement is being suppurted by the same Big Bussiness's that have us in this situation and as long as that last nothing will be accomplished... I TRUELY BELIEVE THE ARE SHIFTING THE HATE AND ATTENTION TOWARDS THE POLICE TO BE ABLE TO IMPLIMENT NATIONWIDE MARTIAL LAW... If the police keep allowing themselves to be used, and abusing their power there will be riots, police and citizens hurt and killed... then in comes BIG BROTHER THE GOOD OLD US GOVERNMENT.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

What are the Statutory requirements that transform an assembly of the people into a riot under the California penal code?
edit on 3-1-2012 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

www.leginfo.ca.gov...
ca penal code on it and en.wikipedia.org... the federal defintion of riot in case people wanted options and to the op i cant belive that those charges will stick but if u get the right crazy da who knows

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric

What are the Statutory requirements that transform an assembly of the people into a riot under the California penal code?
edit on 3-1-2012 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

Riot or not, she would of had to free another occupier from the custody of the police.

Did she bust somebody out of custody? If not, it's not a lynching by ANY definition. (IDK if she did, I didn't read the article.)

*Edit* I read it now, apparently she didn't. So, yeah.... still not a lynching, by California penal definition. She was arrested for instigating people to bring property? This is absurd.... She was arrested because she was there, period.
edit on 3-1-2012 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I love my country and agree with whatever actions I am supposed to agree with.
The passage of the NDAA has made sure of this.
I fully support the officers decision to charge this young lady with lynching and offer my undying loyaly to
our fearless leader King Obama.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

you are bowing when you say this yes? or do you do the ZIG Obama, if you do then you are in like Flin, if not the TSA /DHS, FEMA shirts will be by to train you: we know where your at. ZIG Obama

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

"I love my country and agree with whatever actions I am supposed to agree with".

WOW!!!!!! that is very disturbing.... Its people like you that have us in the situation were in now! Get off your knees and be a man, You were born with feet for a reason, use em'... WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People like you really will be the demise of America the country you love so much.

Maybe you should visit the Wizard of Oz, someone needs a brain!!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic...heh.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by lyrc07
reply to post by Screwed

"I love my country and agree with whatever actions I am supposed to agree with".

WOW!!!!!! that is very disturbing.... Its people like you that have us in the situation were in now! Get off your knees and be a man, You were born with feet for a reason, use em'... WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People like you really will be the demise of America the country you love so much.

Maybe you should visit the Wizard of Oz, someone needs a brain!!!!

Long live Obama.
It is for him that I live and it is for him I shall die.
He is the air that I breath
He is the wind beneath my wings.

I love America
I love America
I love America.

I love the NDAA and hope that we catch the terrorists both abroad and at home.

We were at war with Eurasia
We were never at war with Eurasia.

People who speak out against our government are ungood.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
If he was being sarcastic, its kinda hard to tell.... Read some of his other post, i dont think he was, and still is.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

This Bud's for you.

hail Obama, hail Kim Jong (was mentally) ill

edit on Jan-03-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

edit on Jan-03-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

People who speak out against our government are ungood.

I urge you ... to go onto the streets, en masse ... in Washington, and scream ...

"Heil Obama" ... and do the good handout as you do so ....

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
What can I say, other than f# the dirty pig scum, who go against the people and use piss poor excuses to arrest people for protesting in a peaceful way. Those pigs deserve a bullet in the head.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
It's okay people, with every unlawful arrest, with every instance of intimidation, and with every scene of violence perpetrated by those "officers", more people wake up. Let them carry on arresting and beating those brave people, and let the evidence be uploaded and spread around the world so we can see just how "free" Americans are in their own country, and eventually you'll see the result.

The idiot cops have no clue what they're doing. They think they're following orders and ending civil unrest, when they are actually just making the crowd even bigger.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join