It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How fast do you read?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
200-250 words per minute.

Jesus, and I thought i was reading quite quickly.
I received the same score whether reading aloud or to myself.

A 500-600+ score is express-train phenomenal to this dumbass.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

Ok, I must have misunderstood the degree of your problem.

My 'jumbling' of words has always been anxiety or doubt related. When a belief is fixed, for instance, someone tells you you're dyslexic, which in itself is a fixed criticism of your reading ability, you have this assumption pounded into your mind, and it 'fixes' it there, of a sort.

Perhaps anxiety is only partly the issue. The other half is active imagination. If you can imagine, or assist yourself to read at a faster level, for instance, by looking at a series of words, or a line, and intellectualize them in the same way as you would do a word, then you will bring your mind to a higher level of reading efficiency. You probably have experience with this.

I was ALWAYS a poor reader, but at 17-18, I began reading more, and now, at 26, my reading comprehension and efficiency is manifold times better than it was when I was in high school. It got to this level through this imaginative type thinking; training myself to read multiple words at once instead of one word at a time, which is typical of an 8th graders reading comprehension level (according to another website I was reading).

If only our schools knew, or rather, cared to teach their students properly, reading comprehension wouldn't be as dismally low as 250 words per minute.

But then again, the type of society we have requires an uneducated 'worker class' that accedes to popular opinion, opinion that is hatched by the political-intellectual elite, who, for the sake of efficiency, need a population that is just smart enough to conduct machinery and drive cars, but not to worry over deeper philosophical or sociological questions, and thus, politics.

So, while I just censured the elite for not having the 'wit' to teach our students properly, they do so purposefully. They want only the cream of the crop to break through, and even those who break through will become conditioned and formed by university-level indoctrination.

It really does help to not enter the system, to have learning disabilities early on........You become a free thinker..

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

It would seem you and I are of like mind. The system definitely contributes to the stunting of America's intellectual growth, and as you mentioned, they do so purposefully.

I will say that my “condition” does have its merits. I find that because I scramble things up a bit I am generally really good at puzzles and thinking outside the box in regards to trouble shooting.

Anyway, I want to let my wife take this test when she wakes tomorrow. She’s an avid reader and blows through very dense books in short amounts of time. I’m interested as to what her score would be.

edit on 2-1-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
This is my opinion of which genre of books can be read fast, and which require slower and more careful reading.

Fiction, History, Biography, Biology, Chemistry, can be read quickly

Philosophy, Sociology, Political theory, Psychology, Mysticism, require slower reading, because they demand reflection. You simply cannot read through it. You have to stop and really reflect on the words being discussed, because whats being discussed is reflective of an abstract truth, or claim to truth, which requires deeper introspective analysis, and thus, disengagement.

But, then again, I can only speak for myself. I know there are some intellectuals who can read quite quickly without the need to stop and reflect as much as others require it.
edit on 3-1-2012 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I read as if the person or persons are talking to me the same as if we were having a conviction face to face. The story comes to life in my mind exactly like a movie.

my score:

You read between 200 - 250 words per minute. Average reading level. (The average rate is between 200 - 250 words per minute.) It is assumed that you did not skim the words nor fail to understand the meaning of what was read.

Yet my husband reads really really fast. I don’t understand how he can; it would be like watching a movie with sound in fast forward

i'll be back once i have my hubby read it

love and harmony
whateva
edit on 3/1/12 by Whateva69 because: more

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I got a score of 400-450 on the link.
But,I do read alot and I think I read faster after reading for about an hour.
Then I hit my"zone"where I seem to read at the faster speed for approx 1 to 1.5 hours.
Then I seem to slow down.

I definitely read faster if its a real paper book,as opposed to reading from a screen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join