It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How fast do you read?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I was curious how fast I read, so i googled and found a cool website. Link

My reading speed is 350-400, which is 'above average'. Though, to be fair to myself, I know I can read faster than that. I'm a bit tired.

As for those who read 800 words a minute, I really can't fathom how that is possible. How can one process so much information in a minute? Just try saying 800 words in a minute; now, can that be done in the mind? Apparently it can....But I can't do it. And I have a great deal of admiration for those who can! What a quick mind you people have!

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Also, I would say in general, depending on what I'm reading, and how i'm feeling, and how long I've been reading, my reading speed varies from as slow as 250-300 to 400-450 words in a minute....

I cannot maintain the 350-400 pace for longer then an hour, without giving myself a mental respite by reading at a more comfortable pace, perhaps in the same way that a runner cannot maintain a sprint without getting tired, so he'll transition from a sprint to a jog...

So, with speed readers, I'm curious, how long can you maintain that??? Do you get mentally exhausted taking in all that information? Doesn't your mind feel 'dazed' after awhile, staring at a book absorbed in abstract thought?

I do.....

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I read so fast that i have a hard time typing what i think...lol

I read the first Harry Potter in 6 hours....

just finished a trilogy in 2 days....

and it was Huge....

BTW..I got a 650-700 wpm score...
edit on 2-1-2012 by baddmove because: took test

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

In my experience, I have found it to be substantially easier to read fiction than non-fiction. With fiction, and stories in general, It's easier to stay focused as the subject matter is relatively simpler, and also flows better, than a subject matter which requires constant reflection.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
You guys really want to know how much I got? Check it out

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

cool i always wondered what my reading speed was...

You read between 300 - 350 words per minute.

thank you

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I don't think it's so much reading so many words, as being able to conceptualise what is being read. You don't need to read every single word in a page to understand what is being told. I think that slows a lot of people down, trying to read every single word, and they may get lost in the jumble of letters. Our brains work a lot faster than our mechanical muscles.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
im at 650 to 750 wpm

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
You read between 650 - 700 words per minute. Extremely efficient reading level. (The average rate is between 200 - 250 words per minute

not bad

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I actually enjoy reading both..

I have over 3,000 books in my home at the moment..

Wife keeps bugging me to get rid of some of them...

Don't think i can...

they are like old friends...

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
"You read between 400 - 450 words per minute. Well above average reading level. (The average rate is between 200 - 250 words per minute.) It is assumed that you did not skim the words nor fail to understand the meaning of what was read."

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

I agree. You read faster when you look at a line and intellectualize all that's being said as you would a word.

But, it also depends on the subject matter.

I can read around 600-700 if its a Harry Potter book.

But if its Hegel, I simply cannot maintain that level of awareness as I think I prefer reading slower when the subject matter is so subtle...Do you know what I mean?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
My level is at 300-350, so considering I read every sentence twice (as is my habit since I'm dyslexic) I suppose my true score would be 600-700. That's a pretty cool site. A lot less tedious than using a stop watch and a measured article.

And I agree with the other posters; subject matter deeply affects reading speed. If I'm reading for entertainment I'll blow through the story trying to live the characters, but if it's reference material or a non-fiction book I find I slow down a bit. I suppose it's the brain's way of making sure comprehension is being utilized to the upmost, so that what is supposed to be learned is actually learned.
edit on 2-1-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I got 450-500 also well above average I feel like I could do better though.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

If a dyslexic can read above average, than that just shows how completely indolent the average person really is..

The average reading speed should really be at the 400-500 level.

Also, with regard to your dyslexia, doesn't that mean you read words backwards? Or do you just have trouble processing the words you read?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I often times mix words up while reading, so to make sure I didn't misread a sentence or get the context wrong I always read every sentence twice. I began this back in grade school and so now it's just a habit. I often hear things mixed up as well. Comprehension has never been a problem for me, provided I can get the sentence into my brain in the correct order.

That being said, I do agree the average reading speed should be faster than my own. Just goes to show how far society has slipped over the years, especially in the advent of text-use technology. I heard some schools were going to start printing school books using text speak. God, I hope that's a rumor. Many High School grads can barely read these days. Why encourage that? I worked my ass off to get to the reading level I'm at now, but still concur that the average person should be at a higher level than I.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

I often times mix words up while reading, so to make sure I didn't misread a sentence or get the context wrong I always read every sentence twice. I

Tha'ts what qualifies as dyslexia???

I guess I think differently about that. While I acknowledge that such a learning disability exists, I do not consider it to be a 'built in condition' or permanent defect of the brain, that can't be corrected.

For instance, if you just got out of the habit of reading a sentence twice, and doubting yourself and your comprehension skills (which feeds into your fear/apprehension that you will misread or confuse words) you would probably grow completely beyond your problem.

I say this because I too dealt with that as a kid, though I was never diagnosed as "dyslexic". If were calling this dyslexia - as opposed to those individuals who read words backwards (a much more serious learning disability) than I'm sure most people are dyslexic.

I think dyslexia, like ADHD, is an overly-diagnosed condition. The mind CAN be changed and a learning disability experienced in your younger years can be overcome with consistency.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

"You read between 400 - 450 words per minute."

I felt as though I could have done a little bit better. Anyone know their typing speed or wpm?

Cool website btw

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Also, I'm not just saying this without having some intuitive understanding.

For instance, before you read, is there a feeling of anxiety? If there is anxiety, you will have difficulty reading. If you can reduce the feeling of anxiety, the words pass through without difficulty. This suggests to me that people like you, or myself, who have/had problems reading words clearly, just had this problem early on in life without ever having been taught the skills to properly overcome them, which means the 'dyslexic' symptoms experienced now are really just a habituated state of mind.

The mind really is such a malleable thing. We are more in control then society, or the psychiatric industry would like us to believe.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Well I do still jumble up words. Most times I'll nail a sentence, and you're right I don't need to re-read those, but one out of nine times I will misread a sentence or will see letters/numbers where they shouldn't be.

Example:

"Jim came home from work exhausted, opened the fridge, and pulled out a beer."

how I might've read that.

"Jim cema from home exhaustad, open the pulled fridge out a baar."

[the "a" = an upside "e" and vice versa in that second sentence]

As I've gotten older, I've gotten better, but it still exists. More so with math equations or something like that where you have a mixture of both letters and numbers in no linguistical order very close together. With practice I'm sure I can improve further, but seeing that I'm still above average is a bit of a bittersweet victory.

eta:
I didn't see your second post when I responded.
There isn't any sense of anxiety. I generally approach it as a chore, like taking out the trash; it isn't fun, but it needs to be done for productivity sake.

The funny part is I have a really active imagination, and my friends and family have told me that I should be a writer, or at the very least a screenwriter. So for the past year or two I've been putting together notes for a screenplay. I'm sure I won't be the first dyslexic writer in history, or the last, but it is a change in direction from my painting.

edit on 2-1-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join