It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lower Income Cities get lower quality merchandise

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
How many times does it take you to buy a woking microwave in my area?
Bought a microwave at a well known department store. day after Christmas. Brought home the box and to my dismay it was smashed. Called them back, they are 20 miles away. Took it back and they gave me a newer higher priced item for the same cost. Get it home, Damaged. It has become apparent that all the junk is sent here because this area is depressed.
I just purchased a plasma tv on black friday,checked for a firmware update and they say model number doesn,t exist.Called company and was told my 15 month warrranty is valid,but, will not show up on site..Was told the company I purchased the TV from has select numbers... What the heck?

Anyone else have problems in rural area's ?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by witchof43

You actually make yourself sound surprised.

The global CABAL make it so that there are extremely many different ranges of "quality". This, IMO, helps divide and conquer.

Why can't they make ONE microprocessor, the fastest, the best and sell THAT one and throw away the old ones?

Why don't they make a car that will last 60 years?

Why do they bottle water?

Why sell things that WILL fall apart?

Don't be surprised, be REVOLTED.

edit on 2-1-2012 by Glargod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
well you did buy it on black friday. other wise known in the retail industry as a garage sale.

its a day when retailers can make space and get rid of all the returns and damaged but functional merchandise.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
So what choice do I have? Drive 45 miles for better quality merchandise? Move to Boston to be able to have Whole Foods organic's.The goverment is taking everything from us.Do I Stay in Ohio and sufffer or leave everything I've worked for?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Go back to nature. You live in the boonies because you are likely to like the boonies

Get rid of the microwave and use the stove. and who cares about a big screen TV when you have the GREAT outdoor?

If you KNOW that you are likely to get crap, than it is slightly foolish to gamble that you may not.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Your Joking, right? I live where steel was a major factor for America.

So all is gone, and I am suppose to leave.

What ever...............

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

You simply get what you pay for...I understand that lower quality stuff might be offered in lower income areas but why would you expect the product to be of equal value to another name brand product? Unless you are saying for example you bought a westinghouse microwave in your neck of the woods and in the more well to do area that westinghouse is of better quality with the same packaging and numbering? If you shop at the dollar store you know what you are getting ect..a good deal of the black friday stuff or the not so established name brand stuff is always a gamble...for the more expensive items I now always get a warranty even though we brush it off at the register..

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Believe it or not your better off shopping on amazon and paying a few bucks for the delivery...comes quick and their return policy is top notch..had a tv crap out on me the day of christmas when it was opened...called them when I could speak with someone they sent me a new tv before I even packed up the broken one...

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

If I pay X bucks for Product Z on Black Friday, Green Tuesday or Holier Than White Wednesday, I expect premium and in perfect condition goods regardless of where I bought it. This is, I believe, why there are these things we call brands, so one can be certain of receiving a good of a certain quality and fabrication, that we can take it home with pride and satisfaction, safe in the knowledge that it will at least last as long as the guarantee period, or a replacement or my money back.

ETA To the OP, have you tried internet shopping? If the stores are like that in your area, I would be tempted to look online.
edit on 2/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

edit on 2/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Grammar

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

"The global CABAL make it so that there are extremely many different ranges of "quality". This, IMO, helps divide and conquer."

Yeah this was the plan to divide and conquer us..sell us inferior microwaves while the rich get their hot water at three times normal speed...I hope that statement was tongue and cheek..

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Witchof43........ I think its like this everywhere, as there really IS NO quality control in China........and the US is inundated with crappy Chinese made products. You might get lucky and find a working one but dont hold your breath.....
I had to return an OSTER toaster 5 times...........FIVE FRIGGEN TIMES!!!!!! grrrrrrrrr

OSTER is supposed to be a higher end product for kitchenware but guess what? its MADE IN CHINA now

I remember when things used to be made in the USA, and it was all about QUALITY.
Has not been this way in years........now its all about making a buck on cheap crappy goods you need to replace a year later.....I blame WALMART for this mega trend, as that what WALMARTS profit base was built upon, and so now all other stores have been forced to follow suit in order to even compete and stay afloat.

I BLAME WALMART
edit on 2-1-2012 by theRiverGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Many times it isn't the store's fault. People buy, use and damage items, place them back in the box and return them all packaged up to the store and get a refund. The store puts them back on the shelves. They are now damaged, missing parts etc. waiting to be purchased by an innocent consumer.

What you SHOULD be doing is:

a) buying on the net from a reputable store and pay the s&h. Many sites waive the s&h if you spend more than $75-100.00 and it isn't a super heavy item. Most of the time, you would spend more on gas if you live in a rural area,

b) When you go shopping, open the items at the store, check them out, test them etc. and if you are satisfied, then purchase. I do it all the time and have been questioned only once. Explain you have been burnt too many times and want to see the merchandise. I don't even hesitate to open the box and check out the item. I ONLY open the box after I have made a final decision to purchase that item for sure unless it is damaged. Many times, store clerks will actually remove the item for me and let me inspect it. Bring a small knife to cut tape from box. If you discover the item damaged, let a clerk know or put it back as found. Be considerate when opening the box and open only if you really want to purchase the item. If you end up making a lemon purchase after your inspection as I did with a coffe maker once then, welcome to the club. It happens. You'll have to return it if you want your money back. When I check merchandise before purchase, it cuts way down on my returns.

If a store won't let you open the box to check the merchandise, then purchase it, get it to your vehicle, open it and check it and walk it right back in if there is something wrong with it. Otherwise, don't shop at stores that won't let you see the merchandise. ALWAYS check the boxes of the merchandise before you purchase. Many times, details will show such as previously opened or damaged/dropped evidence on the box.

edit on 2-1-2012 by Gridrebel because:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

I drove to a department store at a mall away from ny area. Still got crap. I bought a Sharp.

Have always had good luck with this brand. I swear we got someones returns.........

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Try ordering online.

It's a sad fact that manufacturers are cutting corners to try and save money because they can no longer raise their prices without killing sales in many areas. Items bought at WalMart or Target, for example, are typically ordered from the manufacturer with certain specifications that include price and allow for cheaper production.

A good example: the John Deere lawn mowers are sold through Lowes, Home Depot, and Tractor Supply as well as through John Deere dealers. But the one you get from Deere directly is not the same one you get from the others. It costs a little more, but it has a slightly different model number, which equates to better but more expensive parts used in manufacture. Expect a lot more repairs from the cheaper versions.

It's not just the consumers who are hurting during this depression; it's the retailers and manufacturers as well. Less ability to spend means less sales, and the competition for your dollar is rabid. Selling slightly different models is only one trick; another is to keep the price the same but reduce the size... ever notice how small candy bars are now?

Black Friday is especially vulnerable to this. Sale items are always understocked, in the hope that once you are inside the store you will buy regardless of whether they have the item you wanted or not. Either that, or you will buy something similar because you had your heart set on getting it, even though it costs twice as much. It's called "bait and switch". Either that or specially-made merchandise is ordered simply because it is practically useless but can be sold dirt cheap.

Even Microsoft has their hands in this. Windows 7 Home Premium is a decent operating system, but how many people look at the "Home Premium" part? Not many, apparently, because Windows 7 Starter is a decent seller. The difference? Starter is barely enough to run the computer, and contains plenty of ads to convince you to upgrade to Home Premium. Of course, since you already have a computer now, and since all you think you need is that upgrade, you'll happily fork over the money. Then you realize how slow your computer is running because Starter only needed a single gigabyte of RAM; Home Premium really needs 2 or more. In the end, you just paid more in upgrades than the difference between machines in the first place, and still have less of a machine. But you probably wouldn't have bought the more expensive model in the first place because you saw the total cost.

Online stores have an overhead advantage. They do not have to lease these huge stores in the expensive section of town, and can therefore compete better. But beware there as well; read the reviews, and make sure you are getting what you think you are getting. Photos can lie even better than display models.

Caveat emptor rules... let the buyer beware.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Interesting thread, I'd also like to take this opportunity and say the same thing is happening on a much larger scale. Think of what's going on in the U.S. with certain cities receiving sub-par items but on a global scale. Even towards wealthy countries.

I've noticed that in Norway, toys (for an example) are of much lower quality then what we had in the U.S. At first, I thought a lot of the toys were counterfeits because a company called "Top-Toy" had the Disney logo printed on them. That's the first time I've ever heard of "Top-Toy" and the first time I've seen the Disney logo on anything else then by "name brand" manufacturers like Fisher Price etc. And Norway isn't poor by any means.

When I first moved here, everything just felt off. Especially when I went to the "kjøpe senterene". (Shopping malls.) It felt pseudo-real. Heck, even designer shoes feel a bit off. I still have a pair of Vans from the states and the quality is at least two to three times better (stitching) then what I bought here.

But then again, it could be just me? I realize things operate a bit differently in Scandinavia, but when you live in one of the richest countries in the world, you'd expect the items to be of high quality. (Especially for the price you pay here!)

Just adding my 0.2, may like I said just be me.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
Witchof43........ I think its like this everywhere, as there really IS NO quality control in China........and the US is inundated with crappy Chinese made products. You might get lucky and find a working one but dont hold your breath.....
I had to return an OSTER toaster 5 times...........FIVE FRIGGEN TIMES!!!!!! grrrrrrrrr

OSTER is supposed to be a higher end product for kitchenware but guess what? its MADE IN CHINA now

I remember when things used to be made in the USA, and it was all about QUALITY.
Has not been this way in years........now its all about making a buck on cheap crappy goods you need to replace a year later.....I blame WALMART for this mega trend, as that what WALMARTS profit base was built upon, and so now all other stores have been forced to follow suit in order to even compete and stay afloat.

I BLAME WALMART

I made a vow not to buy any new items if at all possible. I buy items to resell from estate sales, garage sales and thrift stores. Only quality "made in USA" Oster, Farberware. Pyrex, FireKing, MixMaster, Corning, Griswold, WagnerWare etc. I specialize in Mid-Century Modern and Atomic Age (mid 50-60s) I keep AND use what I like and sell what I don't need. The demand via my eBay store and Craigslist is definately there.
I don't buy at Wal-mart, Target, Dollar Store or the Mall. As a matter of fact I can't remember the last new appliance or powertool I've bought.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Redneck said it best....Caveat emptor.

I always look at what I buy, I know my money is fiat, or precious to those who covet it.

But the saying goes...I get the most bang for my buck.

By the way, I can get good quality stuff here in Cleveland,
edit on 2-1-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

Once again we have those who think its some great conspiracy when its something much less diabolical. And a lot simpler. There is no doubt that historically those stores and shops in poor neighborhoods offer less quality goods. How often have you seen an organic food store in a real poor neighborhood? Or a good general store or major supermarket chain? The fact that certain people are not valued, or considered good economic prospects is both true to some, and stupid from my point of view. I have conducted my own experiment and proved just the opposite.

I opened an organic market smack in the middle of a large midwestern American city, in the poorest neighborhood. People appreciated we knew they were worth it, it was a big gamble for me, and they flocked to the place in droves. I have 27 stores in 16 cities in the US, and the biggest money makers are the ones where I have placed in the least affluent areas. People like being known they matter. One way to do that is give them something you usually have to go to the suburbs to find. Most people who go to my largest store walk or take the bus. I figure if they're willing to work just to just go there, I should also do my part, and make it available.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

People moved TO your area because of what it had to offer. If it no longer offers what you need, you need to move. Humankind was nomadic once, for good reason. You go where the food is. Or the jobs are. Or the overall quality of life is better. Leave your area? Only if it makes sense. Does it make sense to stay? Heck, group together and open a store and sell quality products. People should be rushing to you if the only alternative is crap! Staying tied to a place when the place changes for the worst...... and there are possibly better alternatives....... nope. Moving towards Opportunity, that's what BUILT America!

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

It also goes to whether or not the population are spending money. No business can survive without sales, and one must have paying customers to have sales.

We just had a Tractor Supply open up here. It was eagerly anticipated by everyone I talked to; the story about the new TSC was on every lip for months. Now it is open, and every time I go by, the parking lot is empty. TSC does have some quality standards, and proportionately higher prices as a result. I like it because of their extensive hardware selection, but my business alone is not enough to keep that store open for very long.

Congratulations! It sounds like you found a profitable niche. Unfortunately, not every place is fertile ground for such an endeavor.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join